worker at SeaTac airport takes a turboprop for a joyride

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
And it ended badly.
Watching live news now, the guy said he had a screw come loose today, and just took a 32 million dollar Dash 8 Q400 out for a few barrel rolls.
F-15s were scrambled out of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, and followed him around a while. Eventually he crashed on remote and sparsely populated Ketron Island. It is believed he is the only casualty.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Yea, just saw that, these planes seat about 80-90 people, correct?, this would defiantly wreck someone's day if it came down in a heavily populated area..

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
supposedly the F-15 pilots herded this guy around as best they could. It was a lucky break it did not hit a populated area.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I guess they will have to lock the planes computers with a code of some sort to stop anyone from flying off with one.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I was watching that on the news a bit ago. Hopefully he didn't have anyone on-board with him...

I guess they will have to lock the planes computers with a code of some sort to stop anyone from flying off with one.

Apparently the guy was a mechanic with an as yet unidentified airline. it's entirely possible that in such a case, he'd have access to any codes used.

UPDATE:
Horizon Air has confirmed that the guy was a Horizon Air mechanic...apparently with a "few screws loose."

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Reports-of-hijacked-plane-in-Washington-490620431.html

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
He sounded so nonchalant on his radio transmission... sounded like he felt no pain or worry at all as he already made the decision to go out in a bang.

I would prefer the bang though not cost millions of dollars and endanger lives and property if others.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
During the audio with the F-15 pilot he said "minimum wage" was one of the reasons for this act. Christ, how can anyone working on a commercial airplane make Burger King money, sad if it's found out to be true. Welcome to our new economy, tons of jobs around, no future to be had except one of poverty and desperation. We'll see as details unfold if he was an actual mechanic or just cleaned the planes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
During the audio with the F-15 pilot he said "minimum wage" was one of the reasons for this act. Christ, how can anyone working on a commercial airplane make Burger King money, sad if it's found out to be true. Welcome to our new economy, tons of jobs around, no future to be had except one of poverty and desperation. We'll see as details unfold if he was an actual mechanic or just cleaned the planes.

From what I've read he didn't sound too stable. Doubt a trained mechanic would be pulling min wage.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He sounded so nonchalant on his radio transmission... sounded like he felt no pain or worry at all as he already made the decision to go out in a bang.

I would prefer the bang though not cost millions of dollars and endanger lives and property if others.

Well...better than the Germanwings incident.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well...better than the Germanwings incident.

That was truly horrific. It's one thing to do this, where the only human casualty is the perpetrator. It's another when someone is so suicidal that they're willing to take dozens of other people with them just to indulge their own feelings. They say suicide is a selfish act, and that was proof of it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Wow just watched this video which appears to be a compilation of stuff about this:

The audio is eerily calm for what that dude is doing. He definitely wasn't right.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
tumblr_n481epoudy1s5rjvso1_raw.png

RIP

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
That was truly horrific. It's one thing to do this, where the only human casualty is the perpetrator. It's another when someone is so suicidal that they're willing to take dozens of other people with them just to indulge their own feelings. They say suicide is a selfish act, and that was proof of it.
that took me back to this 1987 incident.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1771
Just off the guy and yourself, not all those others.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Going out with Barrel rolls & Loop the Loops..

I'm curious though did the F15 shoot it down?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
That's all that was one the local news this morning. Heck I learned about an island in Puget Sound I did not know existed. The guy's obviously dead but nothing official yet.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Killed a lot of flora and fauna via impact/fire. I mourn their loss. As for the pilot, I feel no sympathy for him because what he did was what he wanted to do and now he's gone.

However, I do feel sympathy for his family and friends.

That being said, I'm sure there's folks out there that think that was one hell of a way to check out.

As well, from viewing those vids, it looks as if he flew that aircraft like he knew it well and knew beforehand how to pull some hairy maneuvers in it. Maybe he was trying to over-stress the frame into catastrophic failure and failing that, he went for the big dive.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Killed a lot of flora and fauna via impact/fire. I mourn their loss. As for the pilot, I feel no sympathy for him because what he did was what he wanted to do and now he's gone.

However, I do feel sympathy for his family and friends.

That being said, I'm sure there's folks out there that think that was one hell of a way to check out.

As well, from viewing those vids, it looks as if he flew that aircraft like he knew it well and knew beforehand how to pull some hairy maneuvers in it. Maybe he was trying to over-stress the frame into catastrophic failure and failing that, he went for the big dive.
I was thinking that when he pulled that barrel roll he might be trying to over stress the airframe or not come out of the loop by hitting the water.