Wordpress - disabling comments breaks page layout??

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
I'd prefer to keep the site I'm working on anonymous since it's work-related, but I've noticed that on many of the new pages I create, I have to keep comments enabled or the layout breaks. Our site was done by a developer we no longer work with (they gouged heavily before I got involved and put a stop to it) so I'm pretty much on my own to figure out what they left us.

Any idea how disabling comments could break a layout and how to fix it?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
How? Probably as simple as disabling comments removes an element from the page, and the design doesn't accommodate the change. Is it one of the stock themes? Or something completely custom?

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
It's custom, but based roughly on Twenty Ten. The weird thing is that it's only affecting the page I'm working on now. Our About page has nothing but a table, comments are disabled, and it works fine. The page I'm working on now is identical except with a different table. I've checked and rechecked my code - thought I was just missing something stupid like a </div> but I'm not seeing anything.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Define "breaks". Have you checked the CSS to see if anything before or after comments requires comments? E.g. ".comments + X"?

Worst case you could probably hide comments with CSS. :\