Word Perfect on 4K

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Can anyone tell me , if WordPerfect Version X9 will work on a 4K display , under Win 10 ?
Thanks

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
The UI will probably be way too small if there isn't a setting to make it bigger but otherwise any software will run at any resolution there is no limitation in any software.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Thanks TheELF .
From what I've seen and heard - the specific program must itself have the scaling support for 4K .
Changing the resolution is not sufficient .

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks TheELF .
From what I've seen and heard - the specific program must itself have the scaling support for 4K .
Changing the resolution is not sufficient .
you can always make icons and text larger in Display options.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Thanks Iron Woode .
Yes you can , but if the program does not support 4K , it will not come out well , at all .

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks Iron Woode .
Yes you can , but if the program does not support 4K , it will not come out well , at all .
It works fine on my friend's 65" Sony 4K TV. In fact win 10 automatically adjusted icon and text size on his system.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Are you asking if Wordperfect can scale perfectly from 1080P to 4K? Like icons / characters double their sizes on x and y axis when scaled to full screen?

I don't think any program can do that.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Thanks mxnerd .
If the program supports the scaling - it will .
There are more and more programs today which do just that . e.g. Microsoft Word
My question - if Word Perfect ver. x9 does too .

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Thanks mxnerd .
If the program supports the scaling - it will .
There are more and more programs today which do just that . e.g. Microsoft Word
My question - if Word Perfect ver. x9 does too .
Really? I didn't know that. Haven't use MS Word for a long time. :D

==

Just found the following info from Microsoft: Don't know if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices
Check whether applications are DPI-aware
To determine an application's support of DPI Scaling, follow these steps:

1. Download and run Sysinternals Process Explorer.
  2. In Process Explorer, click the columns, and then add the DPI Awareness column to the view.
  3. Start the application that you want to check.
  4. In Process Explorer, locate the application, and then examine the DPI Awareness column.
DPI Awareness status definitions

Per-Monitor Aware: Per-monitor DPI-aware. These applications check for the DPI when they are started, and adjusts the scale factor whenever the DPI value changes. These applications are not automatically scaled by the system.

System Aware: System DPI-aware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They query for the DPI one time, and then use that value for the lifetime of the application. If the DPI changes, the application does not adjust to the new DPI value. It will be automatically scaled up or down by the system when the DPI changes from the system value.

Unaware: DPI-unaware. These applications do not scale for DPI changes. They are always assumed to have a scale factor of 100 percent (96 DPI). These applications are automatically scaled by the system at any other DPI settings.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
On a second thought, I think you are mistaken. All icons in a program must use a specific size, like 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, etc. it can't be scaled.

The only program I have used that can scale is remote control. But it's always blurry when you scale.

==

Oops, WIndows 10 Calculator does scale. But not everything scale at the same time (like numeric button number font size and calculation result number font size).o_O It looks like those font sizes jump , not scale to larger sizes when the application window is dragged to a larger size.

Last edited:

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
mxnerd - thanks for all your efforts here . The link brings me to some general page .
At any rate , the important part of your reply is this :
Check whether applications are DPI-aware
To determine an application's support of DPI Scaling, follow these steps: etc.
I understand this as what I said above - if the program supports 4K ( DPI-aware , call it what you like ) ,
then it will work . If not so ...
Actually , maybe correct that to "should work" and not "will work".

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I think the problem is that when you maximize a program to full screen in 4K display, what it sees is that the working space has been enlarged, it does not know you want to scale the program from 1080P to 4K by 2x horizontally and vertically and keep the ratio.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
mxnerd - yes , I understand , that the particular program must be capable of scaling on the 4K screen .

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
The answer may depend on the size of the monitor you intend to use. I have a Lenovo Yoga2 laptop that has a 4k screen and I do sometimes run into programs that do not readily scale for its 14" screen. On the other hand, 4K resolution on the 55" TV I use with my desktop is no problem at all as the pixels per inch is pretty much the same as 1080P was on my old 27".

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Thanks PowerEngineer . I haven't tried on a 14" and 55" display , but I'm not so sure this would be so .
Did you use exactly the same programs on both displays ?

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, I use Office products for the most part and those work well on both screen sizes.

My point about the 55" screen is that at roughly twice the size of my old 27" screen and at roughly twice the 1080P resolution of my old 27" screen, the pixel densities (pixels per square inch) on both come out to be roughly the same. Even an application that didn't scale at all would look pretty much the same (as if you had 2x2 27" monitors with your application running full screen in one of them). Obviously, the 14" screen is going in the wrong direction.

I haven't used Word Perfect in 20-25 years; it was still character graphics back then.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
PowerEngineer - yes . I understand , that MS Office Products do support the scaling on 4K .
Word Perfect is still going - now owned buy Corel . If you're used to something , so you often stick with it .
If Word Perfect x9 does not support 4K , would be a reason to consider changing to Word .
But this would probably involve hassles .

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
mikeymikec - great comment !
Your link gives me "Internal Server Error" .

That's interesting, because I was getting that after installation whenever it wanted to load the WP website, but I managed to download it in the first place.

I just downloaded it and installed it on my Win10 installation after shoving up the content scaling setting in Win10 up to 175% (the highest I could go on 1080p), logging out and back in again (this is important otherwise scaling works weirdly), and WP X9's UI was painful to behold. The menu bar text was properly scaled but the toolbar buttons looked like their original size (I'm fairly sure there was no difference after scaling back to 100% and logout/back in again). In short, I don't think they've tested it beyond the typical 100% setting. A welcome dialog also had mixed elements of 100% and 175%.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Side note:

I decided to try the latest stable version of LibreOffice with the same 175% setting, and it worked somewhat better but had a few rough edges: During installation, the widgets used in the custom install section for choosing what you want to install weren't scaled, but everything else was so the UI was usable (not messy, ie. no overflowing text or text on top of other text that I could see). Once in LO Writer, everything was scaled at a glance though evidently the toolbar icons are raster graphics so when upscaled they look blocky/pixel'y. One thing I didn't try was that LO has a toolbar setting of 'large', 'small' and 'auto', I'm pretty sure 'large' uses a dedicated set of icons, so I wonder if that might look better though the question is will the icons be large enough.

I don't have a modern version of MSO to hand (I have a copy of 2007 but that's hardly fair to compare for "4k" compatibility).

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Mikeymikec - thanks for going to all that trouble .
I'm a little confused . You have a 1080p or a 4K display ?
If a 1080p - so scaling doesn't even work well on that ?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
1080p. Maybe I'm mistaken, but a poor man's 4k test of sorts would be to tell a 1080p display to scale the content up by as obscene an amount as possible and see how applications react.

By default my display isn't scaling content at all, so all applications look fine on it. Ramping up the scaling to 175% is almost mimicking how it should look on 4k (in terms of how readable/usable the content is, obviously there aren't enough pixels on a 1080p display to show you the entire content of a 4k display).

Without proper content scaling, @TheELF 's first response is 100% correct IMO, the user interface of an application that doesn't respond to the Windows scaling setting correctly will either look no different (ie. teeny tiny), or (potentially worse) it makes a pig's ear of the scaling and you get improperly aligned content / overflowing content.

aviwil

Mar 23, 2000
Mikeymikec . Checking this out on a 1080p screen , I'm really not sure , that this is giving an accurate result . Re the User Interface , it's as you say - unless - the program itself does the scaling ( not Win 10 ) .
That is the whole thing , I think .