WOOHOO! TDK will honor $25 MIR due to C-USA goof! 50 CDR's with slimcase for $5! Must buy by Aug 3rd.

robotjock

Jul 30, 2001
Last weekend's C-USA ad shows a $25 rebate from TDK when you buy 5
CD-R80 40X Slim Case 10-packs. I called TDK this morning and they said
C-USA misprinted the ad. It was supposed to be only a $5 rebate (total).

C-USA also gives a $2 per pack instant rebate. Here's the deal:
So that's $8 (reg price) - $2 IR = $6 X 5 packs = $30 - $25 MIR = $5
You get fifty 40X CD-R's with the slim cases! That 10 cents a piece!

BUT NOTE THIS:

The guy at TDK said you have to mail in ONE ENVELOPE:
5 rebate forms (photocopies OK)
5 C-USA receipts dated between 7/27-8/3 (photocopies OK)
5 UPC labels

He said they know that the rebate form says no more than 3 rebate checks
per customer but they are extending that to 5 for this C-USA goof only!

KKCC

May 28, 2001
Not quite free, but close enough as long as the rebate comes through

GetReal

Golden Member
Mar 30, 2001
CompUSA has advertised this exact same deal of five 10 packs of TDK slimline CD-Rs for a net price of $4.95 after MIRs every other month since the beginning of the year so I don't think there is any error in the promotion as advertised. As always, you mail five completed rebate forms with 5 UPCs and a copy of the CompUSA store receipt in the same envelope. I have the rebate form for this weeks promoion and it states a $5.00 MIR for up to five 10 slimline packs so where is the error? The rebate is fulfilled by New Rochelle and is CompUSA exclusive. The phone number on the rebate form is also the standard New Rochelle rebate inquiry line so what would prompt you to contact TDK anyway?

robotjock

Jul 30, 2001
Reply to "getreal": I got my rebate form from CompUSA. It said if there was a question about the rebate and gave a phone number. I called the number and it connected me with the TDK headquarters. The receptionist passed me through to their Customer Service. The fellow on the line was well acquainted with the rebate. He was the one that said the rebate was for $5 when you buy the five 10-packs. He said the CompUSA ad was wrong in saying you would be rebated $25 on five.
Then he went on to explain they would honor the $25 rebate and the details for sending it in.

Perhaps the ad ran correctly in some parts and wrong in other parts of the country? I dunno. YMMV

Hook

Jul 3, 2001
Like GetReal said, this one has been in CompUSA's ad a few times this year. I did it a couple months ago. Be sure to grab a bunch of the rebate forms because you'll need one for each 10 pack you buy. Also, read the form VERY carefully... there are a lot of details to getting this deal; you need to buy 5 pack to qualify, you need a rebate slip for each pack (5), you need to send all the rebates in the same envelope, etc.

The deal is no misprint. You get one $5 rebate per pack (but you have to buy 5 packs). Also, saying there is a limit of 3 rebate checks is probably confusing; you only get one check back for all 5 packs. So the 3 check limit probably means you could buy 15 packs and get 3 $25 checks back.

PS. The rebate check came pretty quickly for a CompUSA rebate; I think it arrived in under 2 months if I remember right.

unclebabar

Jun 16, 2002
I usually keep track of what CompUSA has on sale every week, and this is the first time I've seen the TDK deal. Sure, they've had the same deal with Imation (CMC Taiwan) discs, but this is the first I've seen TDK (Virginia area).

Anybody know who the OEM for the TDK jewel case cd-r's is?

anji65

May 11, 2000
how bout 5 UPCs
5 rebate forms
1 receipt with purchase of 5 10-packs
1 envelope?

Anaheim, CA - Made in Taiwan

Hook

Jul 3, 2001
unclebabar is right... the deal was for Imation CDRs when I did it a couple months ago. Sounds like the conditions for the rebate are the same though; buy 5 10-pack slim CDRs, need 5 rebate forms, all must be sent together in same envelope, etc.

I couldn't find the rebate on CompUSA's site so I can't verify if it's the exact same deal or not.

SHoddyCOmp

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2002
Are these rebate forms printed at the register (and hope you get 5 of them, or photocopies acceptable, right?) or tear off things where the item is in the store?

unclebabar

Jun 16, 2002
Hey hook,

yeah, looks like it's practically the same deal anyway, since it looks like you'll be getting CMC Magnetics one way or the other. I think they had the deal (buy 50 CD-Rs in slim-lines for 4.99AR) once with Smart Buy brand (also Taiwan, but not sure if CMC) , but I'm not sure.

Now, if some one were to find Taiyo Yudens in the pile, then that would be hot Hot HOT! but alas I am too lazy to drive all the way down there (after passing by 3 times this week, trying to avoid getting the 60 GB HD deal). Best Buy supposedly has the 50pk Fujis on sale tomorrow for 2.99AR, so I'll have to suspend my boycott of them for that.

Jollyjoll

May 15, 2002
wut a rip off... I've only gotten $5 back per rebate when it's suppose to be $25... TDK didnt honor it at all... did anyone else get ur rebate back yet??... with the correct amount??