Woohoo! New $1100 camera toy on the way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: Lucky

It works on film cameras...but with severe vignetting from the 12-18mm portion of the zoom. Beyond that it's OK I hear, but its optically designed for the D series of digicams.

Thanks for clearing that up but you would have to be crazy to drop $1200 on a 12-24mm lens in order to use only the 19-24mm range. There are better options out there.

I'm not sure you understood my situation. My widest lens at the moment is a 24mm (which is a 36mm on the D1). So, I'd be gaining the 18-36mm range, effectively. Other solutions would be to buy a 14mm prime lens and a 20mm prime lens, but that still would only give me ~21mm at the wide end and I'd be lugging around an extra lens (and be paying the same price as the 12-24 in the end).

Don't forget that I will be using this lens professionally so anything that can help me make better images can help me make more money. :D

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: DBL
Originally posted by: IBuyUFO

Like the sweet Canon 1Ds. Yeah I use nikon but that's one awesome beast of a camera. Where is nikon at with the big gazillion pixel camera?? :D

Actually, I meant better WA lenses to choose from for a film camera. But your right, the 1DS is the current king of the hill when it comes to digital cameras. Too bad it costs $8k. If Nikon would put up some competition, we could get the prices to come down to reality sooner rather than later.

Nikon just announced the D2H, a 4MP 8 frames per second digicam that in many ways surpasses the 1D. Larger LCD, WAAAY bigger buffer (a common complaint on 1D users), on the fly wi-fi transmitting, automatic rotating of vertical images, better battery management, and much more. It is only 4MP but even that is more than sufficient for even double truck magazine spreads. And it will only cost $3500.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
Thats not one of those superior Canon units....you are a disgrace to the photography field. Welcome to my block list.

:D

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
You are Lucky

Dang I with I could spend half that on a camera.:D

BTW I still LOVE my little Canon A-70:)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i've already spent more than 1/2 the cost of my sony cybershot 717 on accessories. i will probably spend double the cost of the digital slr on stuff when i get it.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky

I'm not sure you understood my situation. My widest lens at the moment is a 24mm (which is a 36mm on the D1). So, I'd be gaining the 18-36mm range, effectively. Other solutions would be to buy a 14mm prime lens and a 20mm prime lens, but that still would only give me ~21mm at the wide end and I'd be lugging around an extra lens (and be paying the same price as the 12-24 in the end).

Don't forget that I will be using this lens professionally so anything that can help me make better images can help me make more money. :D

Film, I meant for film cameras.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
:Q

Wow $1200 for a cylindrical thingy that becomes the nose of a camera :Q

I have a Pentax camera and one of my lens is a 70-300mm zoom. It's only $200 alone, less in a kit, but a 300mm FIXED lens with the Pentax base costs several thousands. What the ... ?