Woohoo! My Dad came home with an RX8 last night!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Munchies
Originally posted by: Silverbullet28
Why do you have to be gentle with it until it is broken in?

<--- Doesn't know diddly about rotary engines.

You should be gentle with any new engine. There are little pieces of metal floating around in the oiluntil the first change, and could lead to a shorter life. Take it easy change oil at about 1000-1500 then use mobil synthetic for the cars life.

why would they put on a defective oil filter at the factory?

It just gives everything time to "settle in" so to speak. Let in break in nicely. Also, any contaminants in the engine will get flushed out. So, you want to change the oil and filter quite often with new engines. Like, within a few 100 miles if its a BRAND new overhaul (like, you did it or shop did) just to be sure everything gets caught in the filter and you change it out.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

You should be gentle with any new engine. There are little pieces of metal floating around in the oiluntil the first change, and could lead to a shorter life. Take it easy change oil at about 1000-1500 then use mobil synthetic for the cars life.

why would they put on a defective oil filter at the factory?

It just gives everything time to "settle in" so to speak. Let in break in nicely. Also, any contaminants in the engine will get flushed out. So, you want to change the oil and filter quite often with new engines. Like, within a few 100 miles if its a BRAND new overhaul (like, you did it or shop did) just to be sure everything gets caught in the filter and you change it out.

Well, I know some people that (for some very valid and at least logical reason) break the motor in HARD. Run the motor hard for a few minutes, drain and add new oil, low rpm or idle for a few more minutes... drain again... then finally swap filter and add oil one final time. Proceed to drive as normal. They build and rebuild engines for a living and so far so good.

I would prolly still go the standard breaking route but change oil a tad more frequently as I proceed to flog the crap out of my car after that breakin period followed by a few quick oil changes.

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
Oh man am I jealous....hehe.

I saw a black one today (well it looked black...maybe really dark blue?) and it was gorgeous.

Pilsnerpete

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
break in periods are bull

Start it up and smash your foot through the floor.
He's kidding. I think. Don't maintain constant speed for extended periods................in other words don't use cruise control. Don't you want the pistons to seat correctly?!!?

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
The RX-8 looks cool but its power is a little depressing compared to the RX-7 (looking at torque figures).

Congrats! Still much c:cool::cool:ler and more powerful than anything I'll ever own. :(

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Pilsnerpete
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
break in periods are bull

Start it up and smash your foot through the floor.
He's kidding. I think. Don't maintain constant speed for extended periods................in other words don't use cruise control. Don't you want the pistons to seat correctly?!!?

Uhm... rotary engines dont have pistons...

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Yeah, the torque is on the low side. Decent family sedans like the camry and accords average the 200 mark I beleive.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999

Are you suppost to use synthetic in rotaries? I am pretty sure I read somewhere when I was thinking about buying a second gen that it was a bad idea. Something to do with they way the engine burns oil.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

Are you suppost to use synthetic in rotaries? I am pretty sure I read somewhere when I was thinking about buying a second gen that it was a bad idea. Something to do with they way the engine burns oil.

it is a bad idea. rotarys should use dino oil. use high quality stuff tho. (whatever the dealer recommends)

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf

i dunno about that... seems like a myth... it was mentioned in the RX7 manual... but some people still run synthetic without problems. weird. :confused:

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
I believe synthetic oil is basically to pure for the rotary seals to handle... leads to leaks down the road.