Woodsplitters: OUCH!!!

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Friday morning got a call and ran up to be with my father-in-law. He was using a wood splitter to split oak, and when I think of an accident with a wood splitter I think of crushed or cut off hands, fingers etc.

He had a piece of wood basically explode on him sending a huge heavy piece of oak crashing into his face!:( He spend a lot of time in the doctors office putting his chin and teeth back in place. Was a mess....looks like soup for will be the main meal for a while.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

i am so paranoid around big machines. horror stories i've heard... kinda like urs:p probably wear body armor:) hockey stuff works good.

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
I love splitting wood by hand. Never done it with a machine, this is just another reason i wouldn't want to. Hope he gets better soon.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MajesticMoose
I love splitting wood by hand. Never done it with a machine, this is just another reason i wouldn't want to. Hope he gets better soon.
He normally does it by hand, but we had a bad wind storm 2 years ago and it killed a bunch of red oaks on his 16 acres. So he cut 4 of them down and needed to get them off the ground. I do not know how many cords of wood he has to cut up, but even with a wood splitter and 5 hours a day he was estimating 4-5 weeks for 1 person.

SWirth86

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
i am so paranoid around big machines. horror stories i've heard... kinda like urs:p probably wear body armor:) hockey stuff works good.
Like chippers? Armor won't help you too much with one of those...

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Sundog
Originally posted by: MajesticMoose
He normally does it by hand, but we had a bad wind storm 2 years ago and it killed a bunch of red oaks on his 16 acres. So he cut 4 of them down and needed to get them off the ground. I do not know how many cords of wood he has to cut up, but even with a wood splitter and 5 hours a day he was estimating 4-5 weeks for 1 person.

So is he going to wear a football/motorcycle helmet when he goes back out?

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
So is he going to wear a football/motorcycle helmet when he goes back out?

I bet he doesn't crouch beside it as closely. ;) A big piece of wood with a knot in it can come hurtling out of a gas splitter with ALOT of velocity. Hope he gets to feeling better though. :)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
damn that sucks.

on a side note, i have never seen you in the OT forums before. 7K post who the hell are you :confused:

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SWirth86
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Like chippers? Armor won't help you too much with one of those...

in would in this case. if something gets chucked at ya.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
PICS???

Just kidding. Hope everything goes together well.

KK

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
Sounds painful, hope it heals well.

Citrix, you must not read too many threads if you haven't seen Sundog's post around, seems everytime I turn around I see one, probably something to do with you actually having a life, haha.