Won't Boot

khny83

May 24, 2005
I am having some problems with an old emachines computer that I got for free because of the problems it is having. First, I plug in the machine and the computer gets power without even touching the power button. The power button keeps blinking and the hard drive light keeps blinking. I can hear the floppy drive clicking contantly. But after all of the this it doesn't turn off or stop doing this. The CPU fan and Power supply fan just keep spinning and nothing happens. I have tried changing the Power supply with a similar machine and it does the same thing. I have changed the motherboard from another machine and still the same thing. Does anyone know any other things that could be causing this problem? I would appreciate the help if anyone knows. Thank you in advance.

marulee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: khny83
I am having some problems with an old emachines computer that I got for free because of the problems it is having. First, I plug in the machine and the computer gets power without even touching the power button. The power button keeps blinking and the hard drive light keeps blinking. I can hear the floppy drive clicking contantly. But after all of the this it doesn't turn off or stop doing this. The CPU fan and Power supply fan just keep spinning and nothing happens. I have tried changing the Power supply with a similar machine and it does the same thing. I have changed the motherboard from another machine and still the same thing. Does anyone know any other things that could be causing this problem? I would appreciate the help if anyone knows. Thank you in advance.

Remove the RAM from mainboard then plug it back in.
Reboot the PC to test. Fails, then change your jumper settings to default by following your mainboard manual.

Silx

Nov 29, 2006
When the floppy drive is scanning like that (especially if you've got no video), it usually means there's a jumper set on the motherboard to allow for a manual bios update. See if you can find that jumper and set it to normal.

Or, you could find a bios update, put it on a floppy, and feed it to the computer. Then set the jumper back to normal. And then you'll have an emachine with the latest BIOS. ;)