Wonder how things would be if we followed the chinese?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
eek. Not necessary for those extremes, but simply laying charges and not allowing some schmuck to just drop them arbitrarily would be a good start.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
That's the complete opposite end of the spectrum from the Libby case. I think there needs to be a happy medium ... like maybe a very long jail sentence?

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
I didn't say I agreed with the sentence, but it really gets you thinking about how easy our elected officials have it.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If nothing else the Chinese don't waste the inordinate time we do---nor do the Iraqis---they try em quick---and execute the sentence quick if there is one.

If nothing else---Scotter Fibby should have been tried before the election. And should have gone to jail in days and not the many months its took the Judge to get off his dead butt
and affirm what the jury already ruled. GWB may have still commuted the sentence---but at least he would have paid the political price.

And this crap of 16 or so years of legal maneuver to carry out the average death sentence in the US. Justice delayed is justice denied. The US is far far too slow.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law
If nothing else the Chinese don't waste the inordinate time we do---nor do the Iraqis---they try em quick---and execute the sentence quick if there is one.

If nothing else---Scotter Fibby should have been tried before the election. And should have gone to jail in days and not the many months its took the Judge to get off his dead butt
and affirm what the jury already ruled. GWB may have still commuted the sentence---but at least he would have paid the political price.

And this crap of 16 or so years of legal maneuver to carry out the average death sentence in the US. Justice delayed is justice denied. The US is far far too slow.

So you would trade in our legal system for the one used in China ? I sure as hell wouldn't no matter how flawed I may view ours it's still better then what you get in China. Everything may appear a whole lot rosier on the other side of the fence until you realize it's all just weeds and over growth due to neglect.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
There are benefits to such a thing, but there are definite negatives. They're part in parcel of the system over there and I think I'll take my chances with the US rather than the Chinese political system, wouldn't you?
With the number of those who've been taken off death row for crap evidence, the process should be halted--not sped up.

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
I love china. I think we should copy them in this particular aspect. Also they kill for corporate crime too. Im kinda against the death penalty though. :/

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I was about to post a thread on this story but then I saw yours. This is simply barbaric. I mean yeah on the one hand it is good that China is getting serious about its product safety. I am really sick of them trying to kill us with their contaminated wheat-gluten pet food, poisonous counterfeit toothpaste, and kids toys painted with lead paint, etc. . .(why haven't the guys who did this been executed yet by the way? Or have they?)

But G0D D@MN! Execution of a public official for being corrupt? This is total B.S. because they are making a single example of this guy. If they were going to do it right and execute every corrupt public official who ever took a bribe they wouldn't have a government left I bet. They are just trying to send a message to the rest of the world in a WAAAY over-reacting kinda way and making themselves look like huns in the process. They think executing this one guy is going to suddenly make everybody feel better about products from China. Do they really believe that the rest of the world thinks that executing this one guy will stop crappy products from being exported? This is nothing more than a political dog and pony show and a travesty of a human rights violation if you ask me. I see what they are trying to do but stuff like this only makes them look even worse IMO. They are like pre-pubescent temper-tantrum throwing children. This is NOT how you deal with this kinda thing in a civilized manner that makes you look like you know how to solve your problems in a mature way. Disagree with somebody so kill them. . .that's juvenile. These people scare the $h!t outta me.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
The chinese justice system is to the extreme but at least it's more harsh then the fisher price system we have here in the U.S. If you have money you have a higher chance of getting off from a serious crime (i.e. murder, rape). The Chinese execute for almost every reason. They execute drug dealers for example. Why don't we extent our executable offenses to child molestation, rape, selling drugs. There are certian people in the world that CAN'T be reabilitated through the prision.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
In the case of the Chinese official he actually approved four medications which were Fake. They did absolutely nothing. He also took millions in bribes and extorted companies to either pay up or not have the drugs approved. This case is a little on the extreme side. I think the real reason for his execution is a public affairs problem the Chinese are having with the US over Food Imports being recalled. The Chinese are losing Face in the international public's Eyes. I think they are making an example of this person in a kind of Show Trial to send a message to their public officials.

I don't really think Chinese care about justice. It is just that bad decisions are hurting their economy. I think they are trying to protect their image as a supplier of goods. I dont care to defend Chinese Policy. They arrested, tortured, and stole the body parts of a group of people because they believed in doing some deep breathing exercises. The Chinese run a Godless State that deserves no defense. However, it would be wise to try to understand what their reasoning is for their actions.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
The chinese justice system is to the extreme but at least it's more harsh then the fisher price system we have here in the U.S. If you have money you have a higher chance of getting off from a serious crime (i.e. murder, rape). The Chinese execute for almost every reason. They execute drug dealers for example. Why don't we extent our executable offenses to child molestation, rape, selling drugs. There are certian people in the world that CAN'T be reabilitated through the prision.

Don't fool yourself about the Chinese "legal system". It is run directly by the government.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Execution is wrong. What happened to Thou Shall Not Kill? Do the 10 commandments even exist anymore? What happened to John 8:3-11? "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004

ROFLMAO after reading the bold part.

edit- as far as the death penalty goes. I believe in it for violent offenders who prey on society and are repeat offenders. We do not know what kind of screwed up wiring this individual has, but living in fear of that person offending again is not an option IMO. Let their maker deal with them, because we cannot.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: jackace
http://www.naharnet.com/domino...400199BE4?OpenDocument

If we executed our top elected officials for corruption we would not have a single official left in Washington.

The Chinese are a bunch of grandstanding pvssy's.

If they were even remotely serious they would have executed the heads of companies that paid the bribes to get poisions in food etc.

I'm betting that executed government official's REAL problem was a very basic one - he took the "skim" and didn't hand any of it to those higher up on the ladder.

Same for the mafia. It's OK to hit the people up for money, but you better share with the bosses or you'll "sleep with fish".

Fern

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The link in the OP left out the fact that I believe 10 people have died as a result of this guys actions.

He was not killed for taking a bribe, but for that.
Zheng was sentenced to death in May for taking bribes to approve an antibiotic blamed for at least 10 deaths and other substandard medicines.
WaPo

Sort of changed the dynamic of the story knowing this.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

Well yeah...its not so much about payoffs as it is legal intellegence or resources. How can a public defender possibly know all the technicalities of the law? Time and resources take money. Im not defending it (although many of you will think I am) but rather pointing out the fact there IS a reason for it. For the most part, corruption aint it. Anyway.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The link in the OP left out the fact that I believe 10 people have died as a result of this guys actions.

He was not killed for taking a bribe, but for that.
Zheng was sentenced to death in May for taking bribes to approve an antibiotic blamed for at least 10 deaths and other substandard medicines.
WaPo

Sort of changed the dynamic of the story knowing this.

This is correct. Sorry I thought my link had that information in the article.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Hacp
Execution is wrong. What happened to Thou Shall Not Kill? Do the 10 commandments even exist anymore? What happened to John 8:3-11? "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."

A generally misunderstood, incorrectly translated and interpreted commandment. The commandment "thou shall not kill" (Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 5:17), is better understood to mean "you shall not murder," most modern translations of the Bible rendered it this way. According to the Bible not all killing, the taking of a life, is murder. Murder is the unlawfully taking of human life.

So, if you try and convict someone, and the punishment is death, voila, it's not unlawful taking of life, its a lawful taking.

There are many logical and well explained reasons why the deathy penalty (in countries that have prisons) is no longer useful or reasonable. No need to resort to religion. It'll only weaken your argument.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk

A generally misunderstood, incorrectly translated and interpreted commandment. The commandment "thou shall not kill" (Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 5:17), is better understood to mean "you shall not murder," most modern translations of the Bible rendered it this way. According to the Bible not all killing, the taking of a life, is murder. Murder is the unlawfully taking of human life.

So, if you try and convict someone, and the punishment is death, voila, it's not unlawful taking of life, its a lawful taking.

There are many logical and well explained reasons why the deathy penalty (in countries that have prisons) is no longer useful or reasonable. No need to resort to religion. It'll only weaken your argument.

You fail to adress John 8:3-11.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk

You fail to adress John 8:3-11.

Maybe the Chinese authorities follow this passage.

Romans 13

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.