Women build a car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
That looks like a squashed up Maserati from the side/rear profile!

Other than that...it's fugly!

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Front is scary ugly, side profile isn't so bad. I actually love the "practical" approach to design and hope this gets Volvo enough attention that they decide to do it again from another perspective. Heck what I'd want to see is the "mailman concept car" (rural drivers where they use their personal vehicles under contract, not Postal Service equipment) Everything in the suspension would be hardened, long life clutch, window regulators that don't wear out every year, seat belt that could be set to loosen at a stop to allow you movement and then tightened up when you took your foot back off the brake.... Probably wouldn't be a pony tail port in that concept, though maybe that or some other ideas from this car will find their way into production models.

What would the ATOT Concept Car have?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
wow. words cant describe how dumb this is. why would any company ever do this....spend 6 mil on a car that would never see production is beyond me

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Aharami
wow. words cant describe how dumb this is. why would any company ever do this....spend 6 mil on a car that would never see production is beyond me

Same reason they and other auto makers do other concept cars that never see production. Same reason Bush is spending $10 million on ads I won't see, but still heard about. Volvo spent about half as much, got more of my attention and likely more attention per person around the world. Who got the better advertising bang for the buck? Besides, over half the world is female and women buy a lot of cars with or without the involvement of a male's opinion, doesn't hurt to give a shout directly to that market. Yeah, it's kinda silly in some respects, and yet it's not an insulting frilly thing to make fun of women.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: McCarthy
Originally posted by: Aharami

Same reason they and other auto makers do other concept cars that never see production. Same reason Bush is spending $10 million on ads I won't see, but still heard about. Volvo spent about half as much, got more of my attention and likely more attention per person around the world. Who got the better advertising bang for the buck? Besides, over half the world is female and women buy a lot of cars with or without the involvement of a male's opinion, doesn't hurt to give a shout directly to that market. Yeah, it's kinda silly in some respects, and yet it's not an insulting frilly thing to make fun of women.

yea but the article kinda pokes fun at this and volvo for doing this. or atleast thats what it seemed like to me. i can see many women taking offense by this as being categorized as people who need "special cars"

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
"The car should be programmed to discover any problems under the bonnet, then send a message to the garage to let them know. The mechanics would then contact the women directly to invite them over." LMAO, invite them over! Hahahahaha

That is too good. I can imagine the unscrupulous dealers calling:

"Umm, yeah.... your car just sent me a message that it needed some work. What kind? Well your headlight fluid is low and we have to replace your flux capacitor."

-MC

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: AMCRambler
Originally posted by: skace
I wish my seats were easily removeable. I'd take them out and throw them away and buy new ones.

They smell like a$$ don't they?

Well... I don't shove my nose in my car seats and smell them. I keep the car insanely clean but it is a hand-me-down and over 10 years old. It is somewhat hard to undo the damage to the car done by others and seats usually take the brunt of the beating.