Woman's nude photos exposed by tech support

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
SACRAMENTO, CA (KGO) -- A Sacramento woman says a tech support engineer in India managed to expose her secrets and make charges to her credit card after she called him with a desperate request.

There's no getting around the fact that Tara Fitzgerald was faced with an embarrassing situation and a 14-year-old daughter in the house.

"I was missing pictures on my computer. And they were personal pictures and I didn't feel comfortable," said Fitzgerald.

They were extremely personal pictures intended only for her boyfriend.
"I couldn't find them on my computer and that made me nervous," said Fitzgerald.

So she called Dell support for help with her new Dell computer and delicate problem. She was connected to a Dell support contractor in Mumbai, India named Riyaz Shaikh.

"I trusted him. I trusted him because he was a Dell technician and I don't like the cyberworld, you're so vulnerable," said Fitzgerald.
She gave the technician permission to access her computer remotely and watched as he found the pictures and downloaded them.
"Oh yeah, I'm totally convinced. I watched him take the pictures out of my e-mail. I watched him," said Fitzgerald.

Shortly thereafter, 16 nude photographs appeared on a vulgar website created for the sole purpose of displaying her pictures.
"I've been violated. My life's been violated," said Fitzgerald.

In conversations that became increasingly personal, the support technician offered to help Fitzgerald remove the offensive website and somehow convinced her to ship him a brand new Dell laptop so he could work on her case from his home in Mumbai.

"And I'm telling myself, my conscience is talking to me saying, 'Tara, don't send this. What are you doing? Are you crazy?' I sent it anyways because I really believed in this guy. I really had faith that he was protecting my dignity," said Fitzgerald.

And then her disturbing experience with the tech support rep took an even more bizarre turn.
On Valentine's Day he told her he had fallen in love with a young woman in Tennessee who had also called Dell tech support.
Fitzgerald later discovered he shipped $800 worth of Dell computer gear to the woman's home in Waynesboro and billed it to Fitzgerald's Dell credit card.

The Tennessee woman did not respond to a request for comment and neither did Shaikh.
In several online chats between Shaikh and Fitzgerald, he acknowledged the improper charges as recently as this week.
In one message from his official Dell account he said, "You're my true friend, Tara. I am sorry accidentally I charged your Dell account but I will pay. I don't want to lose my job. It was a mistake which happened with me."

Yes, this all happened more than a year ago and Fitzgerald said she complained to Dell several times about it. It took her this long to try a different strategy and go to the media.
"When you trust somebody with your computer, and you expect them to respect your privacy and they don't, and they try to manipulate and control you, you feel like an idiot," said Fitzgerald.
Dell has not issued a formal response to Fitzgerald's claims. She says she has contacted an attorney and is considering legal action against Dell.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=7581408

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
In conversations that became increasingly personal, the support technician offered to help Fitzgerald remove the offensive website and somehow convinced her to ship him a brand new Dell laptop so he could work on her case from his home in Mumbai.

"And I'm telling myself, my conscience is talking to me saying, 'Tara, don't send this. What are you doing? Are you crazy?' I sent it anyways because I really believed in this guy. I really had faith that he was protecting my dignity," said Fitzgerald.

It is hard to believe that people are so dumb.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Ouch, sucks to be her.

Edit - This cavalier approach to privacy these days both irritates and scares me. You have individuals with no respect or concern for their own privacy and people without any respect for the privacy of others. Its a recipe for disaster.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It is hard to believe that people are so dumb.

is it really blanghorst? is it really that hard to believe that people are that dumb(and possibly dumber)? I mean come on... you've been on this planet long enough to have moved passed just having a hard time believing.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
I ... want to laugh, but I can't. I really do feel bad for her, that's terrible. Also terrible how it wasn't investigated and he was immediately fired by Dell when she first brought it up... I mean, I'm pretty sure those tech support guys are somewhat expendable.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
is it really blanghorst? is it really that hard to believe that people are that dumb(and possibly dumber)? I mean come on... you've been on this planet long enough to have moved passed just having a hard time believing.

People's stupidity knows no bounds, so you're right that I shouldn't be shocked when people do dumb shit like this. Still, you hear about scams in the news all the time, so you'd think some of these idiots would get a clue that maybe -- JUST MAYBE -- someone is trying to pull one over on them.

Tara Fitzgerald, congratulations. You're the winner of the 2010 blanghorst "You're a dumbass" award.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
this has to be shens...

lmao...people are stupid...

so the guy who works for a computer manufacturer needs a customer to buy and send him a computer to remove a website that he put her nude pics on, ignoring the fact that he was helping her by using a computer to begin with? she should have stopped at the point where she watched him "take the pictures out of her email."

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
this has to be shens...

lmao...people are stupid...

so the guy who works for a computer manufacturer needs a customer to buy and send him a computer to remove a website that he put her nude pics on? she should have stopped at the point where she watched him "take the pictures out of her email."

I'm surprised the guy didn't tell her to take off her shirt and jump up and down in front of the web cam, as that would "jiggle the hard drive platters" and cause the pictures to magically reappear.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Yea, was going to ask for the pics but after seeing what she looks like no thanks. :p

WA261

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
She sounds like one of those people who believe in the emails about getting $ if they send their bank info to Africa. What a douche, she deserves it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm surprised the guy didn't tell her to take off her shirt and jump up and down in front of the web cam, as that would "jiggle the hard drive platters" and cause the pictures to magically reappear.

Wait a minute. Let me write that down...

:^P

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
If you take a picture or a movie, it'll be seen by everyone eventually. Never ever do this.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
I like how the story randomly throws in there is a 14 year old daughter in the house.