Woman kills daughter for having sex.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't expect you take me at my word. What I am wondering is if you allow for the possibility. My wife? She said "That's weird", which expressed both our sentiments. This wasn't a premonition in any sense, no "feelings", just a vivid dream with "vivid" being the notable thing. I would have forgotten it entirely.

Take your word on what? That you encountered something I'd call a coincidence?

In my old house, one night I woke up hearing a strange clicking sound. Got up to look around, discovered that the metronome on our piano was shifting back and forth. We have no pets. I looked around and couldn't find any rodents or other animals. We never had animals in that house except a caged bird.

To this day I have no idea what caused that event. I could assume it was poltergeists, aliens and George Soros all haunting us at the same time. Or that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation and I just don't happen to know what it is.

Reactions: jackstar7

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Take your word on what? That you encountered something I'd call a coincidence?

In my old house, one night I woke up hearing a strange clicking sound. Got up to look around, discovered that the metronome on our piano was shifting back and forth. We have no pets. I looked around and couldn't find any rodents or other animals. We never had animals in that house except a caged bird.

To this day I have no idea what caused that event. I could assume it was poltergeists, aliens and George Soros all haunting us at the same time. Or that there is a perfectly reasonable explanation and I just don't happen to know what it is.

You would call it a coincidence and be unable to begin to calculate the odds of it happening. I'm sure that in 10^123905414857102897419287349871278344760970288834 years it could happen again or more. If there's no basis for the event I have witnessed a once in the lifetime of the universe thing.

I believe there is some unknown process that allowed it to happen and unless you knew in advance what the physical state of something in the future you have no comparison. Sorry, but you nor I know the "hows" of some things but reality doesn't care and that would be the science of the matter. So how did it happen? I have no idea, but I have no reason to believe divinity had to be involved as much as our understanding of things is unable to account for it at this time.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You would call it a coincidence and be unable to begin to calculate the odds of it happening. I'm sure that in 10^123905414857102897419287349871278344760970288834 years it could happen again or more. If there's no basis for the event I have witnessed a once in the lifetime of the universe thing.

I believe there is some unknown process that allowed it to happen and unless you knew in advance what the physical state of something in the future you have no comparison. Sorry, but you nor I know the "hows" of some things but reality doesn't care and that would be the science of the matter. So how did it happen? I have no idea, but I have no reason to believe divinity had to be involved as much as our understanding of things is unable to account for it at this time.

You mean seeing a certain type of bird sitting on a pond in a dream then seeing something similar IRL? Nah, it wasn't a once in a lifetime of the universe thing. More like a once in a lifetime of you thing.

Lots of people talk about the one strange thing that happened to them. If longshot coincidences never happened, that would be truly strange because they absolutely should.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
You mean seeing a certain type of bird sitting on a pond in a dream then seeing something similar IRL? Nah, it wasn't a once in a lifetime of the universe thing. More like a once in a lifetime of you thing.

Lots of people talk about the one strange thing that happened to them. If longshot coincidences never happened, that would be truly strange because they absolutely should.

You don't want to get the full story. The kitchen, the window, the pond, the Great Blue and the Red River Valley. You don't do science the science but this coincidence is fundamentally unsolvable when all the taken into account. You don't even seem to understand the issues with your statement from a scientific perspective. This coincidence would have to reproduce every known physical process that is causally related to the event and some of those are chaotic, not deterministic. Try giving a solution for the future wave state of causally related matter and energy. You might get it right it would be a hell of a coincidence as any physicist could tell you.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You don't want to get the full story. The kitchen, the window, the pond, the Great Blue and the Red River Valley. You don't do science the science but this coincidence is fundamentally unsolvable when all the taken into account. You don't even seem to understand the issues with your statement from a scientific perspective. This coincidence would have to reproduce every known physical process that is causally related to the event and some of those are chaotic, not deterministic. Try giving a solution for the future wave state of causally related matter and energy. You might get it right it would be a hell of a coincidence as any physicist could tell you.

I highly doubt you could remember that level of detail from a dream. More likely you saw something similar to what was in the dream and your mind used the details surrounding what you saw to fill in the details in the dream. Why is that explanation better than yours? Because it's an actual explanation. You don't have one.

That, or it was Soros all along.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I'd be pissed if my 11 year old was having sex, but kill them? WTF is wrong with this person. Not that she even knew for sure that she was doing that!

You would think that though shall not kill trumps most other religious issues :confused_old:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Did you miss my question in post 49?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I highly doubt you could remember that level of detail from a dream. More likely you saw something similar to what was in the dream and your mind used the details surrounding what you saw to fill in the details in the dream. Why is that explanation better than yours? Because it's an actual explanation. You don't have one.

That, or it was Soros all along.

I didn't say I had an explanation. I do say that I have a pretty good idea of what "coincidence" looks like. Now you "highly doubt" and that's reasonable but recall I explained in great detail what I had dreamed before the event. But without any basis for belief, you draw a conclusion and say it's superior but making an assumption like that is worse than saying "I don't know". Soros? Does inquiry frighten you? What your faith tells you is what I have said cannot be without one shred of data, nothing. There's nothing but an accurate dream that defies known science. Unknown does not mean supernatural, it does not mean unknowable, but that somehow disturbs you.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I didn't say I had an explanation. I do say that I have a pretty good idea of what "coincidence" looks like. Now you "highly doubt" and that's reasonable but recall I explained in great detail what I had dreamed before the event. But without any basis for belief, you draw a conclusion and say it's superior but making an assumption like that is worse than saying "I don't know". Soros? Does inquiry frighten you? What your faith tells you is what I have said cannot be without one shred of data, nothing. There's nothing but an accurate dream that defies known science. Unknown does not mean supernatural, it does not mean unknowable, but that somehow disturbs you.

No faith on my end. I base my conclusions on facts and logic. And since there is no logical explanation for what you describe other than what I suggested then that is what I'm going with unless or until the known facts change. An error in memory, particularly where dreams are involved, is quite possible. Nothing strange about it, really. When weighing that against...nothing...I'll take that.

Soros? Come on man. I'm just kidding around.

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Parents who are overly obsessed with their kid's sex life are the ultimate level of creepy. Something really wrong in the head there.

My best friend in college dated a girl with a mom like that. She was a local girl who had homeschooled her entire life. According to him her mom would follow them around constantly.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Parents who are overly obsessed with their kid's sex life are the ultimate level of creepy. Something really wrong in the head there.

My best friend in college dated a girl with a mom like that. She was a local girl who had homeschooled her entire life. According to him her mom would follow them around constantly.

I had a gf in high school whose mother was like that. Talk about blue balls. Sheesh. The woman would have neutered me with garden sheers if she could have gotten away with it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016

Well if I had a preteen child who was having sex I would be very concerned even if they only were having relations with other kids their age.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Well if I had a preteen child who was having sex I would be very concerned even if they only were having relations with other kids their age.

He said "overly obsessed" meaning he sees it as a question of the degree of concern.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being concerned about your kid.

It becomes a problem when you obsess over the idea of them having sexual contact with another person who's age appropriate. I honestly believe it drives some people to near insanity to envision their kid naked with another kid.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Did you actually read his post? There’s a lot more there than a bird in a pond.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
To reiterate: the thing that religion and philosophy can’t explain is the existence of evil. In a God created world why would
God create evil. So there can be no evil yet we all know that evil exists. The Bible gets near an explanation with the Garden of Eden a Tree of Knowledge, and a snake.

In other words we were all born perfect and absent the notion of evil, but thanks to thinking in language and using words to describe value, we created the notion of the existence of good and evil out of thin air, and to those two notions we applied emotional pleasure and pain. We created the negative language of put downs.

So if you take an innocent child and create in it a terror of pain, that evil well cast you into a fire for eternity, you create a mind that lives in constant terror and pain a pain that can become intolerable. If you feel yourself to be in threat of going to hell, you can become insane enough to kill a child to save it from your fate.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
To reiterate: the thing that religion and philosophy can’t explain is the existence of evil. In a God created world why would God create evil.

What we call god is both omnipotent and fragmented. The only thing the pieces agreed on is not to break the playpen we call spacetime, and aside from that we can do whatever the hell we want. Because we are all equally part of god. This is an experiment to discover ourselves. To discover morality and whether we perish or thrive in a future of our own making.

We are all created in god's image. But we are all equally its image. Evil exists because we do not agree. We are the fragments of a splintered mind that decided to play god with an entire universe. Do we put the pieces together and escape our playpen, or do we shatter and become lost unto ourselves? Time will tell.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What we call god is both omnipotent and fragmented. The only thing the pieces agreed on is not to break the playpen we call spacetime, and aside from that we can do whatever the hell we want. Because we are all equally part of god. This is an experiment to discover ourselves. To discover morality and whether we perish or thrive in a future of our own making.

We are all created in god's image. But we are all equally its image. Evil exists because we do not agree. We are the fragments of a splintered mind that decided to play god with an entire universe. Do we put the pieces together and escape our playpen, or do we shatter and become lost unto ourselves? Time will tell.
It it more likely that "God" doesn't exist in the first place or that matter just how did people determine that" God" is actually even Good to begin with?

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
It's time to kick FL out of the Union... they gave us GWB in 2000 as well...

Out with that POS state.

________

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
I second that hunch. Some other family members interviewed.

Very religious (Catholic) family.

This is what happens when your brain OD's on religion.

It's got to be that, plus a healthy dose of mental illness.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
No faith on my end. I base my conclusions on facts and logic. And since there is no logical explanation for what you describe other than what I suggested then that is what I'm going with unless or until the known facts change. A error in memory, particularly where dreams are involved, is quite possible. Nothing strange about it, really. When weighing that against...nothing...I'll take that.

You can go with whatever you please but I can tell you what you aren't, and that is you have an absence of facts and with the lack of sufficient data. You have nothing to say of substance because that's how logic works. You haven't addressed the elephant in the room and you can use your logic and facts to explain this.

I have a specific dream of vivid detail.
I tell a second party of this before the actualization of an event.
The event occurs, as I have described and witnessed by the same person and confirmed.

Where in the link of causality does an error of the recollection if the dream come in? It can't and so your logic is in error based on what you think and what you can know.

That leaves you with the choices and your belief, your faith in your imperfect understanding (everyone is imperfect) will determine what you ultimately conclude. But it will based on information you cannot access. That's the science of it. Feel free to believe what you wish because there is no scientific tool with which assess the event. The only claim I made is the recollection of an independently witnessed event. I offered no explanation because logic and facts cannot apply when there is an absence of information.

Try reading Russells "The problems with Philosophy" which discusses problems with logical systems and inherent limitations in the perception of reality which fall out from them. There's things that exists which cannot be determined to be true or false and at this point this falls into that category.

Did you actually read his post? There’s a lot more there than a bird in a pond.

It's a matter of faith in what one understands or perhaps a personal dogma of what must be. I have faith in my lack of having an answer and so I can only relate observation and look at boundaries i am aware of. I don't need to have an answer, I need awareness.