Woman Cyclist has to slow down before she catches Men

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Slow pokes move outta the way, let her keep moving. Article says she finished 74th, sounds like they broke her groove.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
So anything that happens to a woman that is negative, even if that thing had nothing to do with her gender is a metaphor? Or is there something specific about this?
I knew the concept of metaphors would trip you up.

You're never gonna pass a Turing test at this rate.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Slow pokes move outta the way, let her keep moving. Article says she finished 74th, sounds like they broke her groove.

That to me is the biggest issue. A person that is a competitor was handicapped because of a mistake of the organizers. I feel for her in that way. What I don't see is sexism or gender bias.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I knew the concept of metaphors would trip you up.

You're never gonna pass a Turing test at this rate.

So this is not an example of gender bias because it involved a woman, but, in reality is not a gender issue at all. That seem silly.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
That to me is the biggest issue. A person that is a competitor was handicapped because of a mistake of the organizers. I feel for her in that way. What I don't see is sexism or gender bias.

But you see how it can be construed in that way, correct? Maybe next year just one combined race, as it's my understanding this was a men's race followed by a women's race.

If the men are to slow and women to fast, scrap it and make it one race.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
There's nothing to see here other than the race event organizers failed to create a large enough buffer between the two races. There were several problems here, one being that once she caught up with the men she could draft off of them for an unfair advantage. What sucks is that she was "in the zone" and having her stop knocked the wind out of that run for her. These are two separate races that whose members do not compete with each other. It's like having two car racing events set for different times meeting on the same track.

This is on the organizers.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It is pretty normal in biking for those who break out early to finish way back. I wonder if she was hoping to catch the men's peleton and then ride with it, that would've given her a massive advantage to way out in front and still have the aerodynamics of a peleton and since they stopped her she got burned out without any benefit.

Of course she may have just been going for an early attack and had no intention of catching the men. Sounds the men had lost a ton of time pretty quick.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The race organizers probably honestly never expected anyone to catch up. Then they simply handled it wrong imho.

It never happened like that before & they didn't know what to do. It occurs to me that she might have taken an unsustainable pace just to punk them out...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
But you see how it can be construed in that way, correct? Maybe next year just one combined race, as it's my understanding this was a men's race followed by a women's race.

No, I can't. Any sort of logic applied should get one to see it was not about gender. If someone looks at this and sees a gender issue, then it's beyond me. Something happening to a woman is not the same as something happening because she is a woman no?

Reactions: HurleyBird

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
It has been fun watching how the SJWs blew this all up into a men vs women thing when that has nothing to do with it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No, I can't. Any sort of logic applied should get one to see it was not about gender. If someone looks at this and sees a gender issue, then it's beyond me. Something happening to a woman is not the same as something happening because she is a woman no?

How many men were registered for the women's race?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

But "any sort of logic" isn't applied by everyone. I agree with him that the optics of it are bad, even though I highly doubt they stalled her because of gender related embarrassment.

Next time I assume they won't screw up the gapping and hence no need for more bad optics.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Doesn't sound as if it's "the men are too slow and the women too fast". Sounds more as if "the fastest of the women is a bit faster than the slowest of the men, at least on the initial part, though likely not over the whole race".

And the logical solution is to have a much bigger gap between the two starts. It does not seem to me to be a gender politics issue.

(Racing remains an intrinsically pointless activity, though. The lot of them ought to find something more constructive to do. Like campaigning for safer cycle routes and for restrictions on cars!)

Last edited:

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
It has been fun watching how the SJWs blew this all up into a men vs women thing when that has nothing to do with it.

From my view it's the other way around; I see people who want to stir up crap posting about this as if something nefarious is going on just to get a rise. Everyone who has been angry about what happened settles down once they understand the truth of the matter.

BTW, if you want to see real SJWs in action just pay attention to the conservative whining on this forum and elsewhere.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Doesn't sound as if it's "the men are too slow and the women too fast". Sounds more as if "the fastest of the women is a bit faster than the slowest of the men, at least on the initial part, though likely not over the whole race".

And the logical solution is to have a much bigger gap between the two starts. It does not seem to me to be a gender politics issue.

(Racing remains an intrinsically pointless activity, though. The lot of them ought to find something more constructive to do. Like campaigning for safer cycle routes and for restrictions on cars!)

It's only a gender issue in terms of how the races are still separate, even though it's seems women can compete with men.

I agree, make the gap bigger. I also think letting women register for the men's, or vice versa is fine as well. Maybe more of a "how fast are you" registration.

Racing is fine, I don't disagree with campaigning for safer routes etc....but I'm not gonna knock competition either

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
From my view it's the other way around; I see people who want to stir up crap posting about this as if something nefarious is going on just to get a rise. Everyone who has been angry about what happened settles down once they understand the truth of the matter.

BTW, if you want to see real SJWs in action just pay attention to the conservative whining on this forum and elsewhere.

Those would be SIWs.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
But "any sort of logic" isn't applied by everyone. I agree with him that the optics of it are bad, even though I highly doubt they stalled her because of gender related embarrassment.

Next time I assume they won't screw up the gapping and hence no need for more bad optics.

The optics in terms of gender? Or just bad planning?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For what it is worth, here are some stats about men's and women's records in the Olympics:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ens-world-records-compare-with-womens/260758/

Men simply have a natural advantage when it comes to strength and stamina. This gives men an advantage in physical competition. Maybe the answer is to rectify this by adding affirmative action scores and multipliers to women's scores while preaching equality.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
For what it is worth, here are some stats about men's and women's records in the Olympics:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ens-world-records-compare-with-womens/260758/

Men simply have a natural advantage when it comes to strength and stamina. This gives men an advantage in physical competition. Maybe the answer is to rectify this by adding affirmative action scores and multipliers to women's scores while preaching equality.

I disagree. In ultra long races women seem to have the advantage. It has been speculated it is because of the thin layer of fat under the skin they have that men do not have.

And I think it was the mentality that women are not equal to men that kept them from not training as hard.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4309798/

In an evolving world where performance differences between sexes in daily life (eg, education and work) are fading in first world countries, women are challenging men more and more in sports activities. The discussion about whether women will eventually outpace men in running or ultrarunning has been going on for decades and is still ongoing.15 In the last few years, more cases of women outperforming men have been made public.68 For example, Ann Trason won the 1989 US 24-Hour Championship in Flushing Meadow Park and was the first woman ever to win a National Championship in the United States.6 In 2002 and 2003, Pamela Reed won the Badwater ultramarathon by surpassing all men.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I disagree. In ultra long races women seem to have the advantage. It has been speculated it is because of the thin layer of fat under the skin they have that men do not have.

And I think it was the mentality that women are not equal to men that kept them from not training as hard.

In an evolving world where performance differences between sexes in daily life (eg, education and work) are fading in first world countries, women are challenging men more and more in sports activities. The discussion about whether women will eventually outpace men in running or ultrarunning has been going on for decades and is still ongoing.15 In the last few years, more cases of women outperforming men have been made public.68 For example, Ann Trason won the 1989 US 24-Hour Championship in Flushing Meadow Park and was the first woman ever to win a National Championship in the United States.6 In 2002 and 2003, Pamela Reed won the Badwater ultramarathon by surpassing all men.

Whether or not we agree on men having more stamina doesn't matter. My point is, and you just made the same point, is that there are biological differences between males and females as far as physical competition goes.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

I don't understand your interpretation of the study. It says that the performance gap is closing in many areas except in the ultra long events. A few women do well, but, it's still dominated by men.

Also, the part about the fat layer was for thermal insulation in cold swimming. That was negated by men's greater ability to take in and use more oxygen.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
It's only a gender issue in terms of how the races are still separate, even though it's seems women can compete with men.

I agree, make the gap bigger. I also think letting women register for the men's, or vice versa is fine as well. Maybe more of a "how fast are you" registration.

Racing is fine, I don't disagree with campaigning for safer routes etc....but I'm not gonna knock competition either

Instead of men and women maybe a group A and group B, based on ranking/time. The best women (whatever) are definitely better than the worst men.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Instead of men and women maybe a group A and group B, based on ranking/time. The best women (whatever) are definitely better than the worst men.

If you did that, there would be almost no women.

Also, your assumption that the best women are better than the worst men is generally wrong. Maybe at low levels it could be true.

Look at female world records in the Olympics, and then look at the worst men.