Wolfenstein : old blood ,looks great

May 11, 2008
I am playing wolfenstein : old blood
RX480 (driver 16.9.2).
It runs fine (Knocks on wood). Although the wolfenstein games seem to favor nvidia gpu based cards a lot... (Old blood even has special cuda optimizations in the graphic options menu). The game does runs fine. I have 38fps to 40fps at 1080p with 2xAA and most options to high or medium. And the game looks great. Only one thing that is a bit distracting, i think even the old return to castle wolfenstein game had dynamic lightning with the torches. But here, the lightning information is stored in the megatexture and is static. Which is strange to look at the torches and see the fire flickering but the light scattering effect on the wall is constant and static i.e. not changing in the rhythm of the fire flickering. Everything else looks really nice so far. Sound is great. And the use of the pipes is a novelty, as is the running and sliding(Same as wolfenstein:no).

I have not yet come far enough in the game were other people mentioned performance tanks (Especially when the fire zombies will appear.) I do hope that performance issue was a fluke and i for once will be spared from graphic issues in what is such a great game franchise.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Somehow this game slipped beneath my radar. It looks really great and the Youtube reviews are favorable. I might pick it up! Thanks for the post.

May 11, 2008
Well, some people mentioned performance tanked when the fire zombies appeared. I am now at chapter 6 and the game still runs the same way. No fps drops or anything.

I do hope that the new game coming over a few months, will have a good story with cyborgs and ancient mystics and relics similar to return to castle wolfenstein and old blood.

I do should note that i get occasional more intrusive requests to update my gpu driver but up till now, all can be declined.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
played through it recently... was good but I'm still playing new order. neither game would run on AMD card so I was using GTX 980 in SLI. I don't like how the engine pops textures in and out but other than that it looked good and the gameplay was phenomenally old school. def recommend.

will certainly play new colossus when it launches

May 11, 2008
played through it recently... was good but I'm still playing new order. neither game would run on AMD card so I was using GTX 980 in SLI. I don't like how the engine pops textures in and out but other than that it looked good and the gameplay was phenomenally old school. def recommend.

will certainly play new colossus when it launches

That is so strange, i never notice any texture pop in or pop out.
Game runs pretty smooth.
Did you have an SSD at the time ?
I have an SSD drive and i also have installed the game on the ssd drive.
On the other hand, maybe the RX480 is good in streaming in large textures as well when needed.
I have the habit of only playing one game at a time, though. I de-install the game when i am finished.
When old blood is finished, i can install pain killer hell and damnation.
Seems also like a good game.

Darkhelmutt

Apr 22, 2017
Loved this game, only problem I had was that one it was to short and stuttering.

Playing new order now and it is also great except for the stuttering.

I tried making a cache folder by following this, http://www.vgamerz.com/how-to-fix-w...ite-screen-crashes-freezes-and-tech-problems/

(the default location should be AppData\Local\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\ but if you want to be 100% sure, follow the instructions below):

– start the game and open the console by pressing CTRL ALT `
– type fs_cachepath – this will show you the exact location where you should create the texture cache directory.
– create the directory (as I said, it should normally be AppData\Local\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\ – if not, create the one shown by the fs_cachepath command line)

But pressing CTRL ALT in game does nothing and I can't find the referenced folders.

Can anybody help a old dumbass figure this out?

Reactions: XSoldier77X
May 11, 2008
Loved this game, only problem I had was that one it was to short and stuttering.

Playing new order now and it is also great except for the stuttering.

I tried making a cache folder by following this, http://www.vgamerz.com/how-to-fix-w...ite-screen-crashes-freezes-and-tech-problems/

(the default location should be AppData\Local\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\ but if you want to be 100% sure, follow the instructions below):

– start the game and open the console by pressing CTRL ALT `
– type fs_cachepath – this will show you the exact location where you should create the texture cache directory.
– create the directory (as I said, it should normally be AppData\Local\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\ – if not, create the one shown by the fs_cachepath command line)

But pressing CTRL ALT in game does nothing and I can't find the referenced folders.

Can anybody help a old dumbass figure this out?

What are your system specifications ?
GPU ?
Do you have an ssd ?

Use the 16.9.2 driver for RX series cards. I have the best experience with that driver.

Darkhelmutt

Apr 22, 2017
I7 7700k @ 4.9
1080 TI fe @ 2063
All drives are SSD

My overclocks are stable and temps are great. These two are the only games that stutter.

May 11, 2008
I7 7700k @ 4.9
1080 TI fe @ 2063
All drives are SSD

My overclocks are stable and temps are great. These two are the only games that stutter.

Well, with your system specifications, you do not need to make a cache folder. Your system is way faster than mine and i do not have stutter.
Your should definitely not either.
This makes me suspect the gpu drivers. It is not uncommon that Nvidia has released drivers that cause stutter.
Best thing is to look at the nvidia website to see if there is driver specially for old blood.
Try playing around with the VT settings if you have no luck with the drivers.
I will have a look what my settings are.

EDIT:
Make sure you have triple buffering enabled in your nvidia panel.

These are the most important.

Virtual Texture Cache size : high
Virtual Texture compression : disabled.
Virtual Texture max ppf : 16
Virtual Texture filtering : trilinear
Virtual Texture anisotropic : medium
Virtual Texture page fade : disabled.

You can also enable the steam overlay with shift + tab in the game.
But first you have to add the steam setting for the fps counter in the settings menu of the steam program ( in game setting).
This way you can check if you have extreme fps drops or that it is because triple buffering is disabled.

Last edited:

Darkhelmutt

Apr 22, 2017
Well, with your system specifications, you do not need to make a cache folder. Your system is way faster than mine and i do not have stutter.
Your should definitely not either.
This makes me suspect the gpu drivers. It is not uncommon that Nvidia has released drivers that cause stutter.
Best thing is to look at the nvidia website to see if there is driver specially for old blood.
Try playing around with the VT settings if you have no luck with the drivers.
I will have a look what my settings are.

EDIT:
Make sure you have triple buffering enabled in your nvidia panel.

These are the most important.

Virtual Texture Cache size : high
Virtual Texture compression : disabled.
Virtual Texture max ppf : 16
Virtual Texture filtering : trilinear
Virtual Texture anisotropic : medium
Virtual Texture page fade : disabled.

You can also enable the steam overlay with shift + tab in the game.
But first you have to add the steam setting for the fps counter in the settings menu of the steam program ( in game setting).
This way you can check if you have extreme fps drops or that it is because triple buffering is disabled.

Thanks for all the info, I'll start applying it this evening.

This gaming business can be frustrating at times, I feel like the apprentice mechanic who has all the tools and very little of the know how. I bought all of my components thinking I could just set everything to ultra and forget it.

I wish there was a more comprehensive guide to all these setting and when and how to adjust them. I am fairly new to gaming and have spent hours researching how to just describe my gaming problems much less actually solving them.

May 11, 2008
Thanks for all the info, I'll start applying it this evening.

This gaming business can be frustrating at times, I feel like the apprentice mechanic who has all the tools and very little of the know how. I bought all of my components thinking I could just set everything to ultra and forget it.

I wish there was a more comprehensive guide to all these setting and when and how to adjust them. I am fairly new to gaming and have spent hours researching how to just describe my gaming problems much less actually solving them.

I know what you mean.
I wanted to play crysis that i bought through steam, but the program that loads the actual game is messed up. I have windows 10 and it asked me to install windows 98 or higher.
So i had to refund it.
The thing is that older games were cd or dvd based and had securom or safedisc copy protection.
And in windows 10 the low level support for these copy protections is removed because it is insecure and could cause malicious users to gain access to parts of the windows kernel.
And in the past when the game was installed, the loader would check if you have the cd or dvd and then start the actual game. Sometimes this was a separate executable but usually embedded in the game executable. To ran these same games now without cd or dvd through steam purchase, they need to be patched which is already done for us. We donot have to do that. And it seems that the patched version of crysis has some issues. Steam community is riddled with people having the same issue.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/windows-10-wont-run-games-with-securom-drm-says-microsoft-2/

And wolfenstein : New order seemed to run great, until i ran into chapter 4. The nonstop crashes happened.
Luckily, someone posted at the steam community that driver 16.9.2 works for RX series from AMD and it does. I noticed it is not as fluid as the 17.x.x drivers.
But it is okay.

May 11, 2008
Yahoooo. I finished the game. And not a single crash has happened.
Now i can start with painkiller hell and damnation.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
I7 7700k @ 4.9
1080 TI fe @ 2063
All drives are SSD

Exactly my experience. My 1080 at 4k runs those games like ass its why I haven't beaten them yet.