WMC Guide Thinks It is downloading constantly

redmed

Mar 9, 2013
I have been using a laptop dedicated to running Windows Media Center and connected to my TV via HDMI for the last two years without any problem. The week of the daylight savings time change I changed the security on the laptop from Microsoft Security Essentials to 360 Total Security. After that week I noticed that the guide was not updating and when I try to manually update the guide via "Get Latest Guide Listings" I get the response "Downloading the latest Guide listings. You will be notified when the download is complete.". After days of this I ran mcupdate.exe and the guide was populated with nine days of data so the internet connection works, but after this the response "Downloading the latest Guide listings. You will be notified when the download is complete." is still there. I suspect a indicator or switch is set in some file making WMC believe that a guide download is in progress. Does anyone know where or how I can reset this indicator?

I have removed 360 Total Security and gone back to Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have also stopped and restarted WMC in ControlPanel/Programs and Features but the "Downloading the latest Guide listings. You will be notified when the download is complete." is still there even though I had to reset recording directories and other defaults after stopping & restarting WMC.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
try doing a system restore to when your system last worked. A few months back a windows update totally screwed up my main HTPC which made me think I had issues with my setup somehow. wasn't able to tune into any channels etc and spent hours trying to figure out what happened. Just did a system restore to 5 days before and everything worked fine. may save you a ton of headache.

Oct 16, 1999
Someone forgot to flip a switch for DST and borked everyone's WMC epg for about a week so that's what that was. As for the stuck message, that may be all it is, is the guide still actually updating? Also, if I remember correctly, mcupdate isn't what updates the guide, and doesn't really do anything anymore. If you want to verify the epg is downloading and even set the time it does this will do it:
http://www.avsoft.nl/Tools/guidedltime/