Witnessed a high speed chase on a jammed freeway.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
So last night around 7pm, I was on the 880 near 580 in Hayward. It was bumper to bumper and about 4 lanes wide. I saw a police light in the center divide from my side view mirror. It was moving pretty fast so I decided to stay in my slow left lane. Then I saw it. On the left shoulder of the road, speeding pass me was a blue car. It was probably an older mustang. Must've been going around 60mph on the shoulder while the rest of us were doing 0-5mph right next to it. Then behind it was a CHP doing about the same speed. Soon followed, about 4 chp cars. They all turned out at the offramp heading into Mission.

Later, on the radio, I heard there was an accident on Mission. Not sure if the accident was related to the chase.

It was pretty exciting though.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
if 60 mph is a highspeed chase then I am involved in high speed chases twice daily.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
california highway patrol...not that hard to figure out no matter where you're from

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: gigapet
if 60 mph is a highspeed chase then I am involved in high speed chases twice daily.

Its pretty high speed when everyone else is doin less then or equal to 5.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: logic1485
Originally posted by: Yax
Originally posted by: DEMO24
"chp" cars?

You're not from California are you.

this is the intarweb, people are from all over the world.

Well ever since the days of CHiPs (20 years ago), CHP has been one of the most easily recognizable police department names.

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
i was driving around dc at 2 am last year on a sat night and a vw golf blew by me going well over 100 mph...i was going about 60 and the car literally shook mine as it flew by. it was followed by i swear over a dozen cops cars. i lost them as they continued over the horizon, but about 3 exits later i saw all this commotion and lights and sure enough the guy had tried to take the exit ramp WAY too fast and has actually drive RIGHT UP the GUARDRAIL.

it was hilarious. his car was suspended between a hill and the guardrail, with nothing underneath. i'm actually not sure how he didn't flip.

oh, and i think the cops were pretty pissed.

it never pays to run i guess.....

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Was the driver trying to crack open a Coors light and eat fried chicken during the chase? :)