Without AMD (essentially an Intel Monopoly) What would CPUs cost?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
That is not the original statement. At this point, the $300 was already established from the earlier statement.

It is a term used in logic. Don't blame me that you cannot keep your statements ordered properly and in doing so lose track of cause and effect.
What next, therefore <premise>?

Oh and don't PM me with your little rants.
Your writing is horribly imprecise and it has gotten you pwnt. Deal with it.
Put some effort into reining in your stupid little assumptions and the logical flow in your writing will improve tremendously.

God, I hate dealing with norms.

Last edited:

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
It is a term used in logic. Don't blame me that you cannot keep your statements ordered properly and in doing so lose track of cause and effect.

Can someone set this guy straight please?
First post I made:
Funny, the only times I bought AMD was when they offered $300+ CPUs... basically the only times that they were offering competitive performance at a better price than Intel.

I rarely buy CPUs of less than $300. I want the latest features and be reasonably close to the cutting edge as far as performance goes, so that my system gives a good overall experience and can last 3-4 years before the next upgrade.
Cheap/underpowered CPUs are just frustrating to use for me, and require an upgrade long before I feel they've delivered on their investment.

A lot of the time, AMD, VIA and other alternative CPUs simply fly under my radar for that reason.

Clearly this establishes my reasons for generally landing in the $300+ price range (and not the other way around).
Then a later posts says:
Well, since I don't buy CPUs under $300, this also includes a bunch of Intel CPUs that 'fly under the radar'... but in AMD/VIA's case, it's often that ALL their products fly under the radar, so I don't consider the brand as a whole. That doesn't hold for Intel. I consider the brand, just not their entire product line.
You really REALLY want to argue, don't you? Shame you're so bad at it.

Now how can that second post somehow be used as the premise for what I said in the first post?

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
like i said it might be easy for us but there are others that come here, not even members, just to read and get informative stuff. If you keep on passing bad and inaccurate stuff how the hell does it helps??

It has come to this, hasn't it?
The internet is so biased towards AMD, that people don't know anymore that Intel also has plenty of budget CPUs?

I'm not surprised... pretty much every 'discussion' with AMD vs Intel focuses mainly on price, and usually cherry-picks ONLY the Extreme Edition du jour... "Look everyone, Intel CPUs cost $1000+, AMD only < $300!".

Do you seriously believe you made any sense in that post? Because I certainly don't.

People shouldn't read forum discussions for information on CPU prices. That's what pricewatch is for.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
People shouldn't read forum discussions for information on CPU prices. That's what pricewatch is for.

Why don't you go to The Garage and spam 1000 threads about the Bugatti Veyron? And talk down to the budget 600HP ricers and muscle car fanatics because, "LOL 600 is less than 1001 u suck at maths LOL."

Price/performance is an important figure. That you'll waste money on a $1000 EE with 10% more performance than a $200 chip with the excuse of "I'm future-proofing myself" (yeah 10% will bring you soooo much further into the future) doesn't mean that everybody is that stupid.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
Price/performance is an important figure. That you'll waste money on a $1000 EE with 10&#37; more performance than a $200 chip with the excuse of "I'm future-proofing myself" (yeah 10% will bring you soooo much further into the future) doesn't mean that everybody is that stupid.

Get a grip.
I have never bought an EE or any $1000 CPU in my life.
I said I rarely shop below $300.
That doesn't automatically mean I buy the most expensive CPUs.
$300 is the average, within a range of about $200-$500 overall.

At least you showed your true colours, you're just another one of those guys with the "All Intel CPUs are $1000" argument.

If you must know, the last CPU I bought was a Core2 Duo E6600, which I bought at introduction.
It was $316 at the time:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045/2
I'm still using it today (mild overclock to 3 GHz, so I actually get the X6800 performance of $999 at roughly 1/3rd of the price), so nothing wrong with the longevity. And as you can also see, when I bought it, AMD actually had WORSE price/performance.
Oh yea, and that was the first Intel I bought in years... I've used Athlons throughout the Pentium 4 era, for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
The internet is so biased towards AMD, that people don't know anymore that Intel also has plenty of budget CPUs?
you brought price into the argument not me, furthermore i gave you two legit links to back up my claims and yet you just wanna argue non stop.

I'm not surprised... pretty much every 'discussion' with AMD vs Intel focuses mainly on price, and usually cherry-picks ONLY the Extreme Edition du jour... "Look everyone, Intel CPUs cost $1000+, AMD only < $300!".
Again, you're complaining about what exactly??? you mentioned price first your retard

Do you seriously believe you made any sense in that post? Because I certainly don't.
go back to school then

I never said that. What i said is that people do come to forums for various reasons and one of them is to get general information, to learn.

Look, you're making a fool of yourself, go find another thread to derail.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
you brought price into the argument not me

No, opening post:
Without AMD (essentially an Intel Monopoly) What would CPUs cost? $300?
look at the obscene prices Micro$oft is forcing on us with their essential monopoly, for Win 7, a face-lift for the same ole OS.

Therefore, I have bought only AMD for many years, to do my little part to avoid $300 CPUs.

I referred to this $300 figure (as others before me have done aswell).

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Funny, the only times I bought AMD was when they offered $300+ CPUs... basically the only times that they were offering competitive performance at a better price than Intel.

I rarely buy CPUs of less than $300. I want the latest features and be reasonably close to the cutting edge as far as performance goes, so that my system gives a good overall experience and can last 3-4 years before the next upgrade.
Cheap/underpowered CPUs are just frustrating to use for me, and require an upgrade long before I feel they've delivered on their investment.

A lot of the time, AMD, VIA and other alternative CPUs simply fly under my radar for that reason.

i meant this post, it was after this post that i replied to you and you know that very well...err maybe you don't so i'll let this one slide.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
i meant this post, it was after this post that i replied to you and you know that very well...err maybe you don't so i'll let this one slide.

I referred to the $300 figure in the OP, pointing out that most of my CPUs have been around that price anyway, including the AMD CPUs that I've owned.
So for me, $300 is a perfectly normal price, regardless of the brand of CPU.
I really don't see what the problem is with that. But you thought it was necessary to call me a retard for it (which I'm not going to let slide).

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
No, opening post:

I referred to this $300 figure (as others before me have done aswell).

so why are you complaining that every AMD vs Intel discussion comes down to prices if price was mentioned even by the OP?

What are planning to buy next? Are you considering the X6 1090T? If i may ask?

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I referred to the $300 figure in the OP, pointing out that most of my CPUs have been around that price anyway, including the AMD CPUs that I've owned.
So for me, $300 is a perfectly normal price, regardless of the brand of CPU.
I really don't see what the problem is with that. But you thought it was necessary to call me a retard for it (which I'm not going to let slide).

your behavior and atitude toward others have led me to believe you're one. I've been asking you to go back to the topic and you can't let go. You're rude to people if they don't share your opinions so how that feels? I just gave you a shot of your own medecine.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
so why are you complaining that every AMD vs Intel discussion comes down to prices if price was mentioned even by the OP?

That's not what I said.
What I said was that people seem to think all Intel CPUs cost $1000, because that's what AMD fanboys keep shouting on forums.
This was in reference to you complaining that I didn't specifically point out that Intel CPUs below $300 do exist.

What are planning to buy next? Are you considering the X6 1090T? If i may ask?

No.
I'm perfectly happy with my C2D at the moment, so I'll at least wait for Sandy Bridge before I upgrade. If there's an attractive $300-ish Sandy Bridge with decent power consumption and performance (basically the SB equivalent of the E6600 that I bought), I may upgrade to that.
If not, I don't know. I'll see what happens.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
You're rude to people if they don't share your opinions

That's not true.
I'm rude to people when they pull my words out of context, and insult me.
These people tend to do these things because they don't share my opinions (or have misunderstood me and THINK they don't share my opinions).
I will be perfectly kind and friendly to people who don't share my opinions as long as they show me respect. But I have received none of that here.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I am rude to intel..

oh wait.. i shouldnt bite that hand should i.

:p

Anyhow... Love and Peace guys!
Otherwise mark will come in here with a ban hammer and TOS notifcations.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I am just trying to teach you the difference between probability and absolute truth. But that went WAY over your little biased head.

this is one example, you started with insults, not me so don't cry now.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
this is one example, you started with insults, not me so don't cry now.

No, that was a reply to your "Mr Scali, your BIAS knows no limits, that much i'll give you" insult one post above.
I was merely returning your 'bias' remark. I guess you forgot about that, didn't you? Tsk tsk.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005

The internet? Like the whole $100+ million plus users? Then it shows you something, that they're right and you are wrong (Using your logic). But its hard not to get excited for the fact that you can get six cores for so little money, heck you can get four cores for less than $89 USD, does Intel offer the same thing with competitive performance? Athlon II X4 outperforms its direct competitor the i3, the Phenom II X6 matches its direct competitor in the same price point, its slightly behind the much more expensive i7 875K.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
I will be perfectly kind and friendly to people who don't share my opinions as long as they show me respect. But I have received none of that here.

you have to respect others so they can respect you. If you're not getting none form people here something must be wrong with you.

Like Aigo said, we don't want this thread locked, you did enough to derail it already by arguing with a few of us.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
The internet? Like the whole $100+ million plus users? Then it shows you something, that they're right and you are wrong (Using your logic).

Eat shit, 10 billion flies can't be wrong? That's not my logic.

What in the name of J. Q. Adams makes you think this is an appropriate post for CPUs?
-ViRGE

This video does, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgVEgohu1Pk
See around 4:30
It's just a common, harmless, funny English expression.

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
No, that was a reply to your "Mr Scali, your BIAS knows no limits, that much i'll give you" insult one post above.
I was merely returning your 'bias' remark. I guess you forgot about that, didn't you? Tsk tsk.

no i didn't, in fact what i said was nothhing compared to what you said, you implied that i had a small head = brain LOL, you're funny

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
you have to respect others so they can respect you. If you're not getting none form people here something must be wrong with you.

Like Aigo said, we don't want this thread locked, you did enough to derail it already by arguing with a few of us.

Excuse me, but YOU set it off with your:
"Mr Scali, your BIAS knows no limits, that much i'll give you."
Now stop the holier-than-thou.
I was perfectly friendly and respectful to you and everyone else in this thread, up to this remark of yours.
You're the one who made the first personal insult, and as such derailed the thread into a mudslinging contest. You have to take responsibility now.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
again you started it and it's right there on page 3. I made a comment that i defended with legit links but you as usual could not admit you where wrong so instead you started derailing the thread.

I proved you wrong and you didn't like it one bit. the X6 1090T launch resulted in a Intel answer, the 875K. Get it? I gave you enough facts i think and others here even told the same thing.

One last thing, i love my i7, don't get me wrong but i'm not blind.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
again you started it and it's right there on page 3.

What are you referring to? I have made no personal remarks of any kind before that post of yours.

I made a comment that i defended with legit links but you as usual could not admit you where wrong so instead you started derailing the thread.

I didn't admit I was wrong, because I wasn't (as I tried to explain, I never claimed you were wrong, I just said that you can't know for sure. It's probable, but not an absolute truth... I thought we covered this already... why are we back here?).
Problem was, you already derailed the thread by calling me biased. There is no bigger insult to me. I try to be as objective and informative as possible, and I value my integrity deeply. Don't ever doubt it.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Problem was, you already derailed the thread by calling me biased. There is no bigger insult to me. I try to be as objective and informative as possible, and I value my integrity deeply. Don't ever doubt it.

What you claim to value doesn't seem to correspond with what you've achieved. By disregarding the low end you're squarely biased.

I've owned several $100 processors and they've all worked out great. All it takes is 10 minutes to read a review to avoid the crippled processors, and then load up on performance parts.
I ran a Celeron 300a in a BH6 with 128MB, a TNT, and a 9GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD next to my friend's PII 400 in a BH6 with 128MB, a Voodoo Banshee, dual Voodoo2's, and a 9GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD. His rig was a LOT more expensive than mine. They generally performed the same.
I was beating him in Seti@Home until he went all server farm with K6-2's and K6-3's. My poor little Celery couldn't keep up with that.

The low end has had some blazing deals over the years, but it's a niche that wouldn't exist without competition.