With the demise of the internal combustion engine, what is going to happen to us riders?

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Half of the fun of riding the motorcycle is shifting the gears and listening to the engine rev up and down and do its thing. What is going to happen to us riders when the ICE is gone and all there is is electric crap? That doesn't seem like it would even be worth riding. :(

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The phenomenal acceleration of electric bike will knock you off the back end as soon as you touch the throttle and you'll spend the rest of the day chasing the bike until it runs out of juice. Meanwhile, the rest of us will enjoy peace and quiet, except for your cussing.

On a serious note, the noise of ICE motorcycles is the main thing that keeps me from wanting a bike. If motorcycles were dead quiet, I think they would be awesome.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Even the electric "crap" seems decent.

There are faster options, and I've even seen a really good electric dirt bike. You do have to pay more up front for all of them, but you save lots of things down the road, including eardrums. (I had a gas bike backfire next to me at the gas station the other day. :mad:)

Reactions: IronWing

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Half of the fun of riding the motorcycle is shifting the gears and listening to the engine rev up and down and do its thing. What is going to happen to us riders when the ICE is gone and all there is is electric crap? That doesn't seem like it would even be worth riding. :(

Much like what will probably happen with combustion engine cars: you'll eventually get used to electric powerplants, and may learn to appreciate their advantages (quiet, lower upkeep costs, instant torque). You can listen to the rushing wind on a country drive instead of deafening yourself with engine noise.

As it is, ICE bikes increasingly feel like a lot of sound and fury signifying... well, little. You'll hear a tremendous roar (or buzz), only to find out that someone on an electric commuter bike can probably smoke you in a green light drag race. And I don't see much appeal in irritating passers-by or belching CO2.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Even the electric "crap" seems decent.

There are faster options, and I've even seen a really good electric dirt bike. You do have to pay more up front for all of them, but you save lots of things down the road, including eardrums. (I had a gas bike backfire next to me at the gas station the other day. :mad:)
Now I sort of want an electric motorcycle.

• Love
Reactions: Ken g6

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THIS.

You need to install an audio system on your electric bike with a compact but powerful external speaker.

This audio system will play several bars of a rock and roll song.

Specifically, the initial drum sequence for Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher".

It's like the times as kids when we put playing cards on our bicycle wheels toward the same end of motor-noise simulation.

So you get your electric Harley Davidson or Kawasaki, start it up, turn on the audio loud enough to blast people in the vicinity of your bike, and play that drum sequence as you proceed to ride.