With President Obama do you think....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Depends on how you look at it.

In strictly material terms, probably not. Decades of rightwing fol-de-rol has launched us down the rapids, so there's no telling when we'll find calmer waters... or if we'll have to navigate the financial equivalent of Niagara falls to get there...

In cultural and spiritual terms, yeh, we'll probably be better off, despite the nay-saying and nattering from the talk-radio crowd...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I am hoping history repeats itself. My portfolio could use the boost right now.

the market will go up. But the market would go up with anyone as president because it has likely already hit bottom.
Agreed. The part I meant was this-
a Republican president is elected, as investors, who are generally conservative, celebrate but in the long run, Democrats have had better returns. Professor Siegel studied stock returns in the days surrounding US presidential elections between 1888 and 2004.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Gigantopithecus
Better, because the Dems won't be able to fix things in two years, will lose control of Congress in 2010, & there will be gridlock ala the 90s. The government functions best when it functions least. :p

very very true.

Originally posted by: Genx87
No idea, honestly he is a blank slate. His history shows a liberal agenda but he ran a moderate centrist campaign. He could run centrist like a Clinton or run lefty with his pals in congress Pelosi and Reid. We just wont know until he takes office and gets his first legislative items on the table.

wich is what scares me about the guy. not that he has any real control but still.

Deliximus

Aug 11, 2001
a lot of House Reps and Senators that won this time were riding on his coattails. They OWE obama in getting in because he was over 51% of the vote. Clinton won with <50% due to Perot.

These kinds of threads are pointless as Obama-supporters will say he will do OK or great and conservatives/Repubs will say he's a Carter.

All this despite the Republicans fucked the country AGAIN. Almost everytime they are in power for too long, things go down the drain. Go figure....

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Very hard to tell, GWB&co has damaged this nation badly and it will take decades to partially repair the damages. With the financial melt down no one even knows yet how deep the damages lie.

Only time will tell.

This.

I voted Worse.

It will take longer than 4 years to repair the damage done in the last 8 years. The next 4 years of austerity will hopefully bring a better future for the country.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Deliximus
These kinds of threads are pointless as Obama-supporters will say he will do OK or great and conservatives/Repubs will say he's a Carter.

Indeed.. if Obama is likened to Carter, then Bush is a Hoover-Nixon robeast.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Punter
Obama will have very little control over whether America will be better or worse off. His response to events that happen will be better for America (and the rest of the world) than having McCain at the helm. Sending that freak Palin back to Alaska is the most important result from this election; hopefully followed by the Republican party moving back towards the political center or the formation of a new centralist party.

Good, so this means that Bush is not at fault for any of the so-called failures over the last 8 years. Thank you for clarifying.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Kind of hard to imagine it'll be worse in 4 years after what Bush and the Republicans have done to it over the last 8.

Standby and watch.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: woodie1
Kind of hard to imagine it'll be worse in 4 years after what Bush and the Republicans have done to it over the last 8.

Standby and watch.
So according to you the wayward path we had taken under the Republican Administration was the right path and changing that path was a mistake? Forgive me if I don't have much faith in your opinion as it's been shown to be suspect at best.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Standby and watch.
So according to you the wayward path we had taken under the Republican Administration was the right path and changing that path was a mistake? Forgive me if I don't have much faith in your opinion as it's been shown to be suspect at best.

You are putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I praise the current administration. Far from it. I am saying I have no faith in the government we are going to have come January 2009.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Perception is reality and confidence is everything. A President can't fix the economy, only the people can do that. But a President can inspire the people and help them find the confidence within themselves. And we have already seen that Obama can do that, especially with the youth upon which all our futures depend.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Standby and watch.

You are putting words in my mouth. Nowhere did I praise the current administration. Far from it. I am saying I have no faith in the government we are going to have come January 2009.
But you would have faith in the government if it was headed by McCain and Palin? WTF would the difference be between that one and the outgoing one?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..buyer remorse will set in the first year then the lies and scandals will surface. the media kept the lid on all the dirt they've collected but will use it later on to promote their headlines. Bad news sells. McCaine was way too boaring for the media.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

This.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Xavier434
"Better" and "Worse" are very interesting words. I believe that things will be better, but I do not necessarily believe that we will be tasting the fruits of all the labor after 4 years. We will taste some but not all. Obama is a great man and will be a great president, but no one on this Earth has the power to create the 48 hour day. Some of the best solutions in the world simply take a long time to recognize.

I dont really believe that. If after 4 years we havent seen any economic improvement we can toss out the plan he has presented. Even Bush who by all accounts is one of the most bumbling fools to ever step foot in the Whitehouse managed to turn the recession he inherited from Clinton that was hurt worse from 9-11 around within 24 months.

Either it is going to work or it isnt. We wont let govt run us through another great depression for a decade waiting for the miracle it promises but never delivers.

I am not saying that we will not see any improvement in 4 years. What I am saying is that it may not be completely fixed in 4 years and some of the improvements will not be recognizable very easily by a lot of people unless they are well educated/informed about what exactly is going on. We'll see. I expect promising progress and changes, but my expectations are not unrealistic either and I am a patient man as long as what we are doing is working. There is a lot of work to do and only so much time to do it.

On top of that, many of the changes require the rest of the country, our markets, and the world econ to adapt as well. Our government can only speed that up so much while doing it responsibly.