With all due respect, I can't help but ponder..........

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000

<< ...I've never portrayed myself as something I'm not (although occasionally I may humor the clueless in their groundless belief that I'm a mod) >>

hi Viper, I'm clueless, nice to meet you. :)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
ya know what... What does it matter to people? Is it going to change your life if WW is someone other than who you thought she was? I know my life certainly won't change.

<< The internet is a place where people try and be somethign they arent IRL.. The Net gives people a place to explore and live in a so called Fantasy..... >>

Well said. Too bad some other people can't understand that. :confused:

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
Maybe I'm weird. . . . Ok scratch that, my own signature reveals that I know I am weird, but I try to present myself as the same person I am in real life, except that on the Internet I am more reserved and cautious. I am more careful in what I say, and I try not to speak unless I can improve upon my own silence. But many people seem to be the opposite way.

As far as someone being a farce, I think ultravox got it right: who really loses in that situation? If I am so concerned with being fooled that I cannot treat everyone I &quot;meet&quot; with an initial and appropriate level of transparency and trust, then I am the big loser in the end. If they abuse that trust because of some latent, narcissistic issues of their own, then I consider the trust I gave them a small price to pay to prop up that one's own shatterred self-concept and maintain my own freedom and ability to trust and be real. For example, I was saddened by dennilfloss' duplicity, but I know that he was, and is, hurt far more by his own deception than I was.

BTW, I believe in Wombat Woman.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Athanasius, well said as always.

I'd imagine most people here really don't care who someone really is versus who they portray themselves to be. The internet will always be able to deceive you, get used to it. If windogg turned out to be the girl in his pictures and not the guy who he has portrayed himself to be, how would that matter? Even if the handle you see is just a character, all that's important is that charcter, at least to me thats how it works.

Fearlss1

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
ok here it is Fook you fook you fook you.. you're cool fook you.. I'm out.
-=\nate :eek::eek::|:p:confused:

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
Unless you're a pedophile trying to lure kiddies to your lair, I don't think it really matters if you portray yourself as a man/woman/gorilla/fish/etc...

But I -do- think its funny to see someone try to pretend to be something they're not. Like the posts from new profiles asking for help to hack/crack their own software that they _lost_ the license to. Or posting a Hot Deal link to a page created by the poster, usually indicated by using their own name for the profile name. Heeheehee.

Personally, I think it's too much effort to try to be something that you're not. But if you've got the brainpower to support keeping multiple profiles and personalities active on the forums, more power to you. But don't expect me to invite you over to meet the family.

DoubleN

Aug 8, 2000
Although I realize that I won't meet most people that post on boards ever in my life, there's something to be said about being able to openly share your thougths and ideas in a forum like this and since you're not just dealing with people in your area, there is a chance for communication between people of all backgrounds and whatnot. I know that there are posers out there, but I've come to think that most people will put exactly what they think on a message board which is fun and good to hear, whereas in real people can say what they think, or say what they think you want to hear, or anything like that because they're out in the open.