Witcher 1 4 gb fix HELP please

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
Running game on win 7 64 ROG laptop with AMD HD 5870 and 6 gb ram. Questions:

1. Does this fix help random crashes?

2. PROBLEM Cannot find Witcher exe. files. YOUR_GAMES\The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut\System\witcher.exe" doesn't exist. If anyone has used the 4 gb fix, please let me know how and where to install it.

Thank you for your help

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
What version are you using? I have played through the majority of the GoG version and never saw a crash on my system (16GB, win10).

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
GOG Enhanced ed Director's Cut Just installed one month ago. Played ok for awhile but now crashes to desktop. Also, I'm playing in windowed mode at 1600 x 900, settings on high.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have played Witcher 1 on both windows 7 (way back when) and windows 10 (bit over a year ago) and both were good experiences. I never had any issues.

But from a quick google search, it looks like its an issue with your install. Other people have reported the exe missing, and looks like a complete uninstall and reinstall resolved the issue.

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
Thanks all for your help. The Asus laptop is no more...after repair attempts, the software continued to gradually fail. A new Win 10 laptop is on order...yay! However, I think Stuka is correct...during download from GOG, I experienced several interruptions...will download again on new laptop. Thanks again;)

Reactions: Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Some of these older games really benefit from a generic Large Address Aware patch (I won't link it, but you can look for it on Google and find a couple good download sources on steam forums or techpowerup forums).

If my understanding is correct, some older 32bit programs (which can only address 4gb of ram total) see new 64bit systems with 16 or 32 gigs of RAM and basically flip their lid, and actually think the system has too little ram or does not know how to find it's 4gb of ram.

The patch has either eliminated or seriously reduced crashing for me when applied to all sorts of older games (typically anything that was Xbox 360 vintage or earlier).

Not saying that's the issue here,but if you do run into crashing issues on your new system, it would be worth checking out.