Wisdom teeth gettin pulled soon.. advice needed!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: jewno
I am 21 and haven't gotten my wisdom teeth pulled yet, not even one!

i didn't get mine yanked until i was 27. lots of time for you to suffer, my pretty. :)

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
The people here who are saying "just get local anesthesia you pvssy" obviously have never faced an impacted wisdom tooth or the removal of a piece of their jaw before.

Well, I had an implant put in just under a local. I imagine drilling a hole in my jawbone and twisting in a self-tapping titanium screw is at least *somewhat* similar. Maybe it's because I have a kickass oral surgeon, but when I left the office they told me to take ibuprofen if it hurt and if it still hurt after that to take the vicodin but don't drive. I never even had to take the ibuprofen. There was no pain at all.

The implant was installed to replace an ankylosed (fused to the jawbone) tooth that had been removed....also under a local anesthetic.

:Q

You must have a kickass oral surgeon, b/c I've never heard of anything like that done while the patient was conscious.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheLonelyPhoenix
You must have a kickass oral surgeon, b/c I've never heard of anything like that done while the patient was conscious.

Admittedly, when the insurance company refused to pay because they would rather use an inferior and less permanent solution like a maryland bridge (despite the dentist, the orthodontist and the oral surgeon all recommending the implant as the best solution and cheapest in the long run), my parents decided that if they were going to pay out-of-pocket, they were at least going to get a GOOD surgeon to do the job rather than the butchers' union reject the insurance company would choose :D

The surgeon said general anesthetic was optional and that he actually preferred to avoid using it whenever possible due to the costs and side effects. He didn't seem to think it was out of the ordinary to do the job without it.

Turnpike

Oct 30, 2003
Getting IV sedation is more like a luxury thing to get done. It makes it easier on you and the dentist/oral surgeon. Getting local anesthetics will be fine, although they may not want to take all 4 out at once. It's usually a bad idea to numb up your entire face....half at a time is better because you risk chewing your tongue/cheeks up and choking on something. You won't feel pain during the extractions, but you will feel the pressure of pulling and prying the teeth out. If the teeth are impacted, you get to hear the nice electric bone saw they have and experience it in first person... but again it won't be painful (just a little scary).

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
DO NOT DRINK ANY JUICE AFTER THE SURGERY!!!

Do not...

It will be the most painful experience...