Wireless speed issue on multi router enviroment

Cnuke

Nov 7, 2000
Ok, I am having some speed issues with a wireless network I just setup here in Costa Rica for some friends. It is a little complicated but allow me to try my best.

I have a campus that consists of three points a house, electric pole and a dining hall.

At the house I have the internet connection coming into a modem/router(192.168.1.1). (Model CSC Union USR-R210) From that router I have a Linksys WAP11 B router (192.168.1.4) with a Pacific Wireless antenna 19dBi.

At the electric pole, which does have high voltage electric about 8 feet above, In a weather proof box there are two Linksys WAP11 B routers. One has another pacific wireless antenna pointing back at the house (500 meters) (192.168.1.3) and the other to the dining hall with the factory antennas.(200 feet) (192.168.1.6)

At the dining hall I have a Linksys WAP11 B router pointing at the pole with factory antennas. (192.168.1.7) Also at the dining hall I have a Belkin g access point (192.168.1.5) that allows users with wireless cards to connect to the network wirelessly throughout the dining area.

The router at the house is bridged with the router on the pole, both having pacific wireless antenna 19dBi. (192.168.1.4 and 192.168.1.3) The other router on the pole 192.168.1.7 is bridged with the router at the dining hall. (192.168.1.6).

From the dining hall I can surf the internet, but it is according to speakeasy.net coming in at about 53K. At a computer at the house directly connected to the router it is downloading at about 210K. When I ping all of the routers from the dining hall here is what I get. It seems like long ping rates and I am getting dropped packets.

All are starting from dinning hall and ending with servers that are on the outside of our network. Thanks for taking time to help.

To 192.168.1.7 Average 0ms max 3 with 88 packets sent and 0 loss
To 192.168.1.6 Average 2ms max 10 with 92 packets sent and 1 loss
To 192.168.1.3 Average 4ms max 12 with 103 packets sent and 2 loss
To 192.168.1.4 Average 3ms max 14 with 83 packets sent and 1 loss
To 192.168.1.1 Average 5ms max 16 with 89 packets sent and 4 loss
To server in states Average 193ms max 322 with 154 packets sent and 2 loss
To server in Costa Rica average 152ms max 308 with 158 packets sent and 1 loss

Thanks again for any suggestions or help you can provide to us.

Cris

Cnuke

Nov 7, 2000
I wanted to add to that I did a ping test from the router 192.168.1.1 and here is what the results were. Similar to the dining hall. What do you think could be slowing the speed down?

to Server in the states average 308ms max 800ms with packets 157 sent and 1 loss

to a server in Costa Rica average 177ms max 1066ms with packets 38 sent and 0 loss

Again, thanks for any input.

CNUKE

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
WAP11's are not routers. They are AP's that you can bridge with, Client mode to be specific.

First thing I'd suggest is to not segment your networks with additional subnets. No need. Assuming your device at the dining hall has multiple LAN ports that's really all you need to do. Connect the bridge to an open port on the Belkin. I assume it's actually a router/AP combo since you have a different network ID. You really only need the one network segment, dictated by the parent device, the router at the house with the internet connection.

Why have you set it up the way you have I guess would be my first question?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
As a first measure, you should check all the connection by transferring files locally of using a program like Qcheck. Using the Internet and Online Internet meters is iffy and a good way to deal with Network Bandwidth assement.

At the entrance, you have a download of 210Kb/sec. so if every thing is OK I assuming that you have an Internet service of 2Mb/sec.

If a WAPs on the pole work as repeater so by default pass the repeater the Bandwidth is cut into half, if it goes furthe into a local WDS it is reduced further.

If your Antennae are Indoor and the signals have to travel trough wall and Windows, you can improve the performance by placing the Antenna Out side or directly at the Windows.

Mixing 802.11g with old 802.11b only Wireless hardware might introduce some signal attenuation as well. I would switch every thing to modern 802.11g

Modem/Router combo units are many times semi duds as well.

I would stick across the board with good hardware from one Brand like Linksys, or Buffalo instead of hot pudge of old and secondary tier brands.

All an all it amazing that you get what you are getting now.:thumbsup:

Cnuke

Nov 7, 2000
ktwebb, The belkin does not have any ports on them other than placing it on the hub. the same with the wap11 B. The only port on the back comes out and into either a hub or another bridge.

JackMDS, So it the WAP11 is a bridge the whole way down to the dining hall and NOT a repeater or extender will it still cut the signal in half? If so that has to be the reason. From the main router which is the only router on teh network pushing DHCP and is working at the dining hall, there would be 4 bridged AP's. So if a bridged wap11 does end up cutting it in half, that is the issue.

I will wait to hear from you and in trhe mean time I will do some file coping.

Thanks to both ann again I will wait to hear from you.

Cnuke

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
No if it is just a Bridge or regular AP mode, it does not cut into half.

Howvever while at a distance of 3 feet an average 802.11b might yields 6-8Mb/sec.

You Wireless travels first 500 meters not too much of the bandwidth is left after 500 meters (1600 feet) when using a low power transmission device. Then it travels 200 feet to the second location and lose more.

As I said before there might be some attenuation from 801.11b with t 802.11g as well.

As a first step, you can try to replace the first WAP11 with a high power unit that transmits 100mw or more.

As for the Belkin, I think that ktwebb comment meant to connect the receiving WAP in the Dining Room to a regular port (Not the WAN port) and configure it as one Network.

Wireless Router as an AP - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Cnuke

Nov 7, 2000
JackMDS,

Thanks again. More good info. I will look into all G and faster transmision unit.

As far as the wap11's all are plugged into normal lan ports not wan.

Thanks again,

Cnuke