Wireless PCMCIA Card...

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Just curious to see if anyone had any recommendations as to a good wireless PCMCIA card, type II. It'd be for use on a college campus, an IBM notebook. Thanks for all your recs!

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
I've been looking into this lately and most people seem to be suggesting the lucent orinoco

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<< I've been looking into this lately and most people seem to be suggesting the lucent orinoco >>

Cool! I've actually been looking into that quite a bit. Thanks!

zeruty

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2000
that is a good one
if you get the gold version, however, you can do 128bit wep encryption rather than just 64, which is more secure... hopefully someone else will pipe in and tell you how it's more secure, I dont know all the details :p

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001

<< that is a good one
if you get the gold version, however, you can do 128bit wep encryption rather than just 64, which is more secure... hopefully someone else will pipe in and tell you how it's more secure, I dont know all the details :p
>>

Hehe, rock on...

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm using Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card on my laptop. From my experience, this is the only card which works relatively well in Linux. I also tried Linksys wireless PCMCIA card before and as far as range, Orinoco seemed to work for much longer distances without loosing the signal quality. That's and Linux compatibility which I mentioned above made me stay with Orinoco instead of Linksys.