Wireless N Router w/ GbE and DD-WRT/Tomato support

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone know of any of the wireless N routers which have GbE and third-party linux router OS support (DD-WRT or Tomato)? Been looking every once in a while, but thought I would post in here... Been wanting to upgrade/replace my WRT54GL...

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
With that many devices, have you considered upgrading from a modded Linux-based router appliance to using an actual Linux server to do your routing? If you already have GbE backplane all you would need is a N-router, a spare PC, and two NICs (one for WAN, one for LAN). There are many robust distros for this, I have eBox in place at a few client sites and it works beautifully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions

Good luck!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I have thought of that a few times, even thought of making the Solaris box do that (would need to get a second NIC, but they can be had for cheap on eBay). I already have that system hardened, as well as have it look to the world like it is a Windows system, so the automated scripts have no idea how to attack it properly, and to top it off, I wrote up some custom firewall and authentication monitoring apps which dynamically ban addresses, subnets, and ISPs as more and more failed connections/scans/logins are detected from their networks (it does a few whois lookups to determine the ISP and the IP range assigned to that ISP so that simply grabbing a new IP will not allow them to continue an attack attempt, the only thing it does not protect against is DDoS attack, which is next to impossible to do from the endpoint anyway).

Last edited:

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
I'm sure that we'll see widespread modding of N-routers at some point in the future, but I'm thinking that going server route might give you the flexibility and features you need until that day finally comes. Even though it looks like you are proficient with server integration, I still would recommend checking out some of the preconfigured distros... time is always valuable and there is no sense in reinventing the wheel if all the features you need + a sexy interface has already been implemented elsewhere. :)

BTW - IDS (intrusion detection system) has been implemented on many of those builds - eBox includes one such package, the name escapes me at the moment, but it should be listed on the site.

Edit: Here is what eBox uses for IDS: http://www.snort.org/

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone know of any of the wireless N routers which have GbE and third-party linux router OS support (DD-WRT or Tomato)? Been looking every once in a while, but thought I would post in here... Been wanting to upgrade/replace my WRT54GL...

The first Tomato Beta for a wireless N router - Asus RT-N16 with Gigabit Ethernet...it's also DD-WRT compatable

I love my Asus WL-520GU router and will follow the RT-N16 router development closely...as I also love Tomato.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, that is promising. Now if they would get a device that has dual band support which is really where the N standard shines....

On a side note, nice to see someone else who was transferred to the "new" forum software back in October 1999 :)