Wireless Mouse Idea

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
I have many wireless mice, notebook or desktop, optical or laser, whatever

My two main pet peeves are having to use batteries or AC Adapter for the recharging cradle, and I dont like a mouse cradle taking one of my precious outlets on the outlet strips.

Seeing that usb2 mini plugs are now so common (my hard drive, blackberry, phone all have the same cable), why not make a wireless mouse that recharges through the usb cable? or better, you can turn it into a higher-response gaming mouse while it is in corded usb mode?

why bother with so many cradles?

or is there such a mouse out already?

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: EKKC
I have many wireless mice, notebook or desktop, optical or laser, whatever

My two main pet peeves are having to use batteries or AC Adapter for the recharging cradle, and I dont like a mouse cradle taking one of my precious outlets on the outlet strips.

Seeing that usb2 mini plugs are now so common (my hard drive, blackberry, phone all have the same cable), why not make a wireless mouse that recharges through the cable and draws power from usb? or better, you can turn it into a higher-response gaming mouse while it is in corded usb mode?

why bother with so many cradles?

or is there such a mouse out already?

you just said this.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
How about this: make your mousepad corded, connected via usb and have it contain a thin metal coil inside the mat. The mouse is then charged via induction and can remain wireless. Induction charging is neat, it works well for toothbrushes, so why not mice?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't really get wireless mouse and keyboard for people sitting at the desk...I can see a use for htpc or presentation, but your ordinary desktop?

newb111

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2003
Yes I have seen a mouse that is just like that. The mouse is wireless, and the wireless dongle plugs into USB. The dongle has a cord that you can plug into the mouse to charge it when you want, otherwise it stays unplugged for a wireless mouse.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
I always thought it would be nice to have a wireless mouse(for desktops) that did not really require a battery. Basically it would have to be used in conjuntion with a mousepad(which would have a cord) and the power would be drawn through contacts from under the mouse touching the pad.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: sdifox
I don't really get wireless mouse and keyboard for people sitting at the desk...I can see a use for htpc or presentation, but your ordinary desktop?

cables are not long enough - I deal with this all the time. My tower is under my desk and all the cords have to go from under there through a hole in the back/top of my desk, and come back over the top. Barely long enough.

I don't like cordless mice with batteries either though - the thing is a brick.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

some of us dont like wire clutter

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Both my Logitech G7 and my MX700 recharge through USB. :confused:
In fact, I don't think I've ever used a mouse that charges through a wall outlet.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: JujuFish
In fact, I don't think I've ever used a mouse that charges through a wall outlet.

The OP means one that has a cord that could just plug into it, so you could continue to use it as a corded mouse and not have to charge it on a dock.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
because a socket plug and wires tend to be more annoying to use than dropping a mouse into a cradle. socket hole on a house would be dirt magnet..and plugging and replugging constantly would wear on a socket...leaving a wire hanging around is inconvenient as well.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: coldmeat
Originally posted by: JujuFish

The OP means one that has a cord that could just plug into it, so you could continue to use it as a corded mouse and not have to charge it on a dock.
Uh, the OP complained about having to charge wireless mice through an outlet. He talked about charging through USB instead.

Now, granted, my MX700 uses a dock to charge, but the G7 doesn't use docks. It has a spare battery that charges while the other is in use. 2 second downtime and you never have to deal with cords.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
better yet, why not charge the mouse through motion, like a kinetic mouse. you can also do something where if the mouse is not moving it'll automatically go on standby.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
How about this: make your mousepad corded, connected via usb and have it contain a thin metal coil inside the mat. The mouse is then charged via induction and can remain wireless. Induction charging is neat, it works well for toothbrushes, so why not mice?

Text

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
plus the more convenient the better, lithium ion batteries prefer to be charged often and don't like deep discharges. longer life.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
my kid has a "Bamboo Fun" graphic pad/mousepad/mouse

the mousepad/graphic tablet plugs into the USB, the pen/mouse have no batteries

so i think they already did this

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
Originally posted by: Chronoshock

Text

yup, they exist but its a poor solution since it makes for an ugly cord on a desk which tends to defeat the point for many. plus its not versitile, you are limited to a pad, a wireless mouse normally is limited to anywhere within reasonable range.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: rh71

cables are not long enough - I deal with this all the time. My tower is under my desk and all the cords have to go from under there through a hole in the back/top of my desk, and come back over the top. Barely long enough.

I don't like cordless mice with batteries either though - the thing is a brick.

I ams till on my Model M keyboard :). I have a 10 ft extension cable.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
better yet, why not charge the mouse through motion, like a kinetic mouse. you can also do something where if the mouse is not moving it'll automatically go on standby.

Yeah you can put a.. Um.. I dont know some kind of ball. Then when you move the mouse around you spin the ball and it will charge the system!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis

some of us dont like wire clutter

I'll take the wire over latency any day.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: TheKub
Originally posted by: LordSnailz

Yeah you can put a.. Um.. I dont know some kind of ball. Then when you move the mouse around you spin the ball and it will charge the system!

like those masturbation motion flashlights!
shake it!