Discussion Wireless Ear Buds

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Are there any wireless earbuds that don't look like you just stepped out of the movie, "There's Something About Mary"?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I have the Anker bluetooth ones and they are certainly larger but what I love most is they turn on when they magnetically separate and turn off when put together. The downside is the battery life, which struggles to reach the stated 8 hours. Seeing the longevity of the ones above, I may just have to give up the convenience of the magnets.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I've used 3 versions of Jaybird X series and the improvements from the X2 to X4 were pretty significant.

However a few months ago I got a bluetooth adapter for my Switch and it made me realize that the Jaybird headphones use a codec that has a huge amount of latency and it's not really feasible for gaming unless you like delays.

So I tested out like 5 pairs of ear buds from amazon that use the fastest codec available and ended up keeping a $35 pair. The sound isn't quite as good as the Jaybird X4's, but the price is like $100 cheaper. So I decided since I really only use em at the gym and when traveling, that they would be good enough, especially if it means that I will have lagless sound when gaming on my Switch in an airplane.

One thing in my experience is that the advertised battery length is nowhere near what it is in reality, because you will be using them louder than those battery numbers were probably used at.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Up to 5 hours battery in earbuds, total 15 hours with charging case

What does this actually mean with charging case? Is that another term for standby time? So basically these are once-a-day charge regardless of use?

PenguinPower

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
I haven't been able to find a pair that won't fall out of my ears while running...quite disappointing.

Feb 10, 2000
I use the Jabra Elite Active 65ts in the gym. They lock into your ears very snug, and the charging case holds a charge for quite a long time.

I have the Jabras too. They work well and sound good, but for me they don't fit well enough to use for anything that involves fast movements. I bought some Comply tips for them in the hopes that it would help, but they only sell them in size medium, which is too small for me. Ah well . . .

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I haven't been able to find a pair that won't fall out of my ears while running...quite disappointing.
I do all kinds of exercising with the jaybird X series and those stay in the ear no problem. I don't even use the wings that help keep them in. Those stay in better than my new ones without the wings, as I find myself readjusting them every few sets. I have just been forgetful to try them with the wings since I don't remember to put em on when I get home.

I do pretty intense workout routines and when I have ran with them, never had an issue with them staying in ears. I do find the comply tips definitely stay in better.

Jerem

May 25, 2014
Would standard earbuds and a Bluetooth receiver work? The one I use is small, lightweight, good runtime.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Reactions: Jerem

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It sucks to have more devices that have to be charged often....are there any that have a battery indicator? I have tried a few of the $30 ones that get about 6 hours or so but I never know how much of a charge it has....definitely more convenient and you don't have to fuss with the wire....

I have actually gone to a mono headset when running...it may not be the greatest sound but it is all I need for my run and I don't have to worry about charging it...I bring the cable behind my arm so it hasn't been a problem getting in the way...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060RBZA6

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It sucks to have more devices that have to be charged often....are there any that have a battery indicator? I have tried a few of the $30 ones that get about 6 hours or so but I never know how much of a charge it has....definitely more convenient and you don't have to fuss with the wire....

I have actually gone to a mono headset when running...it may not be the greatest sound but it is all I need for my run and I don't have to worry about charging it...I bring the cable behind my arm so it hasn't been a problem getting in the way...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060RBZA6
The Jaybird X4's I had were the best at letting you know how much power was left. When you turned it on, it would say either fully charged, 80%, 60%, 40%, or 20%. Also when it drops to 20% if you are using them, you can hear the lady say 20%.

The ones I have now don't have any audio indicator other than when it runs low, it will say 'battery low' but it says that like 5-10 minutes before it is dead. According to the manual though, the light colors on the side of the ear buds and how they flash indicate how much power is left. But I never check that because I'm wearing them while using them.

I have a charger in my car and have a 30 minute commute to/from work so I typically charge mine that way before I go to the gym, which is after work. Sometimes on the weekend I will remember and just do a full charge in the wall.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I have the Pamu Scroll earbuds and like them well enough. I've had some issues having them both output sound but I believe if you turn them on (put them in) in the right order that fixed it for me (i.e. put the right bud in first, then left). Also when I pledged for them they were only like $35 so it was a pretty dang good deal.