WIP: Karaktu's (and Zap's!) Unofficial Guide to mobile Celeron overclocking success!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karaktu

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Owner of three Celeron-K's

- M4H

:laugh:

As for a spreaderless A64, your best friend when overclocking A64 CPUs is an XP-90 with a 55cfm or so 92mm fan and a case with good airflow. If you have these two things, your temperatures should be nice and low.

BigBadBiologist

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2002
I'll add my experiences to the list. I have a Mobile Celeron (P4 based) 1.5. I forget the SL number; it's probably SL6M5.

Abit IS7 (latest BIOS)
-will not POST unless you do the AE1 pin trick.
-runs all day at 200FSB (3GHz @ 1.55V), limit seems to be around 3.1GHz.
-use lapped penny to make contact with stock Intel HSF

Shuttle SB65G2V3
-POSTs without AE1 pin trick
-ICE (HSF) makes perfect contact with core
-also stable at 200FSB @ 1.65V

/edit: also forgot about my laptop:
AOpen 1846 (Sis chipset)
-detects BSEL mod to force 133FSB (2GHz)
-AE1 trick not needed, but works either way
-laptop originally designed for Willamettes, so penny trick needed for HSF contact

/edit2: another mobo I tried:
Albatron PX848 like pro (Ali 1683 chipset)
-POSTs without AE1 trick
-does not detect BSEL mod
-has horrible mem dividers that force the RAM to run higher than the FSB most of the time so overclocking is difficult without killer RAM

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Anyone have distributed computing numbers on these guys? Would be nice to install them as a service on some home pcs. :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Anybody tried putting the penny on a railroad track, wait for the train to run over it ? I have done this numerous times, and they allways come out very smooth (but then you need to flatten it completly on a flat surface with a flat-headed hammer.

BigBadBiologist

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2002
While sanding down a penny may require a little bit of elbow grease, it probably is faster than going out and finding a railroad track, putting the penny there, waiting for a train, getting the penny back, coming home, and giving it a final quick sanding. :)

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have the pinout image done and will PM Karaktu. Just wanted to bump this thread and also add that the Celeron-K works fine (no mods needed) in a Shuttle SS51G (original, not v2) and overclocked to 2.2GHz+.

Karaktu

Apr 24, 2002
Pinout image updated. Thanks Zap!

Anyone tried a P4S800-MX 1.04 yet? Appears to be the same as a P4S800-MX but has dual channel memory support...might be the new choice in mobile Celeron overclocking. ;)

daclayman

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
On the motherboards, the Abit IS7-E2 does work with mobile P4s. There is a BIOS setting in advanced which has to do with FSB that needs to changed to 800. I couldn't get a post at 140FSB or higher with it not set to 800 (I'll elaborate and edit after I go get some :beer::beer;). Also, I've tried both Intel OEM flower heatsinks and a fully copper-based with straight aluminum fins and they all fit just groovy. You do need to make sure the heatsink is seated properly in the retention thingy. Without the spacer, very little pressure is put on the CPU and it's difficult to tell whether it's seated properly. Just boot the mobo/CPU on a bench and if temps start to climb, reseat the heatsink and try again.

My P4m 1.8 (C1 - SL6FH?) at 2.833ghz runs 28C idle on a P4P800; I can't lower the volatage without modding the chip. Intel Prescott 'flower' heatsink at < 2700rpm.

EDIT: Yes, from posts farther down, it's the 'N/B strap' setting in SoftMenu Setup in BIOS; set it to FSB800. Also, if this board can run mobile P4s, it most certainly will run mobile celerons. This IS7-E2 w/P4m 1.6 @ 2.7ghz defaults the voltage to 1.49V with a TTGI 350watter.

Karaktu

Apr 24, 2002
How is it that 4 people can vote that this guide isn't useful and have no recommendations or comments to make? :frown:

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Karaktu
How is it that 4 people can vote that this guide isn't useful and have no recommendations or comments to make? :frown:

Because Joe, there are alot of self-serving people in the world.

Instead of investing their time generously to contribute to the forum, they are basically a-holes that are better off going somewhere else.

However, the rest of us thank you and appreciate the effort:)

ozzielee

Mar 2, 2005
Hey Karaktu,

Very very good and useful guide to o/c the celeron mobile s478.

How abt doing a similar guide for the PIV mobile ? I got one and I cant even get it to run at its rated 3.06ghz speed. Fastest it will POST at is 2.4ghz. I'm using an ABit IC-7G (intel 875 chipset mobo) I know the multiplier is locked at 12X. Is there a way of getting the multiplier upto the high mode - 23X. I wonder if there is a pin mod ?

Do u know of any mobos with Speedstep enabled ? ANy help is appreciated.

Cheers

Karaktu

Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ozzielee
Hey Karaktu,

How abt doing a similar guide for the PIV mobile ? I got one and I cant even get it to run at its rated 3.06ghz speed. Fastest it will POST at is 2.4ghz. I'm using an ABit IC-7G (intel 875 chipset mobo) I know the multiplier is locked at 12X. Is there a way of getting the multiplier upto the high mode - 23X. I wonder if there is a pin mod ?

Cheers

That would be someone else's department as I've never touched a mobile P4, P4-M, etc.

Thanks for the comment, though. :)

BigBadBiologist

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: ozzielee
Hey Karaktu,

Cheers

As of now, there are no motherboards that support speedstep. So with a P4M, you are locked to 12x (also, with some of the newer P4Ms, the multiplier may actually be 9x). Just hope you have some high clocking RAM and a mobo with good stability at high FSB! :)

Another note in your case, make sure your FSB drive strength (I think that is what the setting is called) is set to FSB800.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: daclayman
On the motherboards, the Abit IS7-E2 does work with mobile P4s. There is a BIOS setting in advanced which has to do with FSB that needs to changed to 800. I couldn't get a post at 140FSB or higher with it not set to 800 (I'll elaborate and edit after I go get some :beer::beer;).

Are you talking about something listed as "FSB bootstrap" that lets you set 400/533/667/800?

PIV mobile ? I got one and I cant even get it to run at its rated 3.06ghz speed. Fastest it will POST at is 2.4ghz. I'm using an ABit IC-7G (intel 875 chipset mobo) I know the multiplier is locked at 12X. Is there a way of getting the multiplier upto the high mode - 23X. I wonder if there is a pin mod ?
You're stuck at 12x mutliplier on a desktop board, but you should be able to go higher than 2.4GHz because I'm sure many people have gotten the Abit IC7G to 250MHz FSB and higher, meaning you can get 3GHz. Change "FSB strap" to 800, reduce your memory multiplier and let 'er rip!

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
The problem I am having is that I am having a hard time figuring out what my mobile chip really is..it's a 1.6ghz mobile northwood, with 512k of L2 cache, so it would seem to be a mobile P4, but it doesn't default to the 12x multiplier.. Spec of SL6EX, and I can't seem to find it on the intel site...I've only had it at 2.1ghz, but it's limited by a crappy motherboard right now, I have PC2100 ddr with it, but at 133Mhz FSB, it runs the ram at 166mhz, and won't let me run it any lower, so it's limiting my OC. I have pin AE1 bent, so it's getting a voltage of 1.25v. I may try the mod to default it to 133fsb, but have to get a better motherboard and ram first.

THUGSROOK

Elite Member
Feb 3, 2001
interesting info.
kinda reminds of the old 1.6a days when we used to wire mod the cpus for 1.7v, til they fried.

:)

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Originally posted by: stevty2889
The problem I am having is that I am having a hard time figuring out what my mobile chip really is..it's a 1.6ghz mobile northwood, with 512k of L2 cache, so it would seem to be a mobile P4, but it doesn't default to the 12x multiplier.. Spec of SL6EX, and I can't seem to find it on the intel site...I've only had it at 2.1ghz, but it's limited by a crappy motherboard right now, I have PC2100 ddr with it, but at 133Mhz FSB, it runs the ram at 166mhz, and won't let me run it any lower, so it's limiting my OC. I have pin AE1 bent, so it's getting a voltage of 1.25v. I may try the mod to default it to 133fsb, but have to get a better motherboard and ram first.

The info I found on it was that it was a C1 stepping. If you put 1.5-1.65v through it you should reach about 3GHz, maybe more.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Yeah I have seen a few places that say it's a C1 stepping. Just wonder why the spec number doesn't show up anywhere on the intel sight..

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: stevty2889
it's a 1.6ghz mobile northwood, with 512k of L2 cache, so it would seem to be a mobile P4, but it doesn't default to the 12x multiplier..

Strange. Are you sure it is a mobile chip? A desktop chip with the heatspreader removed looks like the mobile except for the black labels labeling the chip (desktop has this info on heatspreader).

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
I'm not entirely sure it's a mobile chip since I can't find much info on it and it's not on the intel site, but it runs at a 1.25v vcore even when overclocked to 2.1ghz

mercdrive

Jan 27, 2004
thanks Joe and everyone who helped and posted to this thread
will report next week on my k- combo's

has anyone tried a aopen ax4spe max MB
I may try it and let ya know

Jeff