Winter Break Movie Marathon Suggestions?

Mar 15, 2003
So my kids will be home 10 days and I'll be working (the mrs. has off), so I doubt they'll be leaving the apartment very much. I think some microwave popcorn fueled binging might be fun, especially movies all kids should have seen by now (for example, I was shocked that they somehow managed to not see Home Alone).

Guidelines:
1. Should be suitable for the under 12
2. They love Marvel / comic book stuff but have seen most of the obvious choices. Off the beaten path comic book adaptations could be fun, though Kick-ass is most likely a bit much
3. "Girl Power!" movies would be nice, my little ones are both girls
4. Not grating, noisy, obnoxious - lots of kids stuff these days is just migraine inducing to me, my kids are not part of the ADHD set
5. Doesn't have to be strictly kids movies - Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. type adventurey movies are fine
6. Does not need to be Holiday themed, but it doesn't hurt either
7. Should be relatively easy to obtain via the usual streaming sources (Netflix, iTunes) - esoteric german miniseries need not apply
8. Extra points for age appropriate horror - my youngest has macabre taste, absolutely loves Tim Burtony stuff
9. Extra points for NYC focused, a cheap day trip could be visiting the landmarks seen in the movies

List so far
  1. Spider-Man 1 and 2
  2. Babe 1 and 2
  3. ET
  4. Goonies
  5. Gremlins
  6. Groundhog Day
  7. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  8. Jurassic Park
  9. The Iron Giant
  10. James and the Giant Peach (claymation)
  11. Paranorman
  12. The Book of Life
  13. Beetlejuice
  14. Nightmare Before Christmas
  15. Home Alone 2 (stupid movie, lots of local NYC landmarks for the kids to see in person later)
  16. Flight of the Navigator
  17. The Never Ending Story
  18. The Princess Bride
  19. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
  20. Ghostbusters
  21. Star Wars OG
  22. TMNT
  23. Princess Diaries - mom choice
  24. High School Musical - mom choice
  25. Explorers
  26. Escape Witch Mountain

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
if it was 16+ I would suggest Die Hard 1 - 4.

What about Christmas movies? Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Frosty the Snowman, etc.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Home Alone 2 is far from a stupid movie. The movie is fantastic. You should add part 1 to the list too.

Add Elf to the list. It's a great movie AND in NYC.

The original TMNT is also awesome and in NYC.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
All these are on netflix. A search for Pirates of the Caribbean showed these results and many more good movies for children including cartoons.

Pirates of the Caribbean movies. 3 are streaming on netflix right now.
Thor Ragnarok
Lord of the Rings
New Star Wars movies (all 3 on netflix)
National Treasure
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Beauty and the Beast
The Golden Compass
Tomb Raider

Mar 15, 2003
Home Alone 2 is far from a stupid movie. The movie is fantastic. You should add part 1 to the list too.

Add Elf to the list. It's a great movie AND in NYC.

The original TMNT is also awesome and in NYC.
You know, it's been years since I saw Home Alone 2, I remember it being all over the place but I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it. Elf was the very start of our list, they loved it.

TMNT - the youngest LOVES the new show (I'm not a fan), and I loved the 90s show and movie growing up, nice choice!

Thanks everyone for the input, this should keep them busy along with the new nintendo stuff :)

Mar 15, 2003
You had a pretty awesome list to start with.

Ooh, How about Ghostbusters?

Ghostbusters - classic and NYC, nice! Thanks, I think from reading your past posts that you're a bit of a film buff - same here, and trying to introduce a new generation to something other than loud disney movies

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ghostbusters - classic and NYC, nice! Thanks, I think from reading your past posts that you're a bit of a film buff - same here, and trying to introduce a new generation to something other than loud disney movies
Yea I'm a movie nerd too :)

Couple more might be worth seeing just as good family movies from the 70s-80s...

Explorers
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089114/

Escape to Witch Mountain
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072951/

One other one that came to mind, but not sure if it's worth sharing...
Trading Places is set in NY and at Christmas time, but, It's R Rated so maybe might be a bit rough around the edges for their ages.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I would have recommended the first season of True Detective but that is rated R. Absolutely amazing 8 episode series but don’t waste your time on the second season.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
S2 needed to be placed in a dumpster and set on fire. Just out of sheer will and stupidity I watched it all though.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Amazon Prime:
Big Sick
Hand of God
Patriot
Forever
Man in the High Castle
Bosch
for the young at heart
Just Add Magic.
You can get Prime by the month.
Netflix = something for everyone
Prime = when you want good stuff.

Reactions: slackerinabox
Mar 15, 2003
Yea I'm a movie nerd too :)

Couple more might be worth seeing just as good family movies from the 70s-80s...

Explorers
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089114/

Escape to Witch Mountain
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072951/

One other one that came to mind, but not sure if it's worth sharing...
Trading Places is set in NY and at Christmas time, but, It's R Rated so maybe might be a bit rough around the edges for their ages.
Thank you! The "movie with a young river phoenix" was a fuzzy memory, thanks for the title!

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Another R rated, I saw this first on Netflix, though I think it's since been removed: "Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale"
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/

More or less a fantasy horror of "what if santa is real and he's evil", probably better for teenagers than kids though.

Mediocre movie with Magnificent epic soundtrack
Imaginaerum - made by the main songwriter of Nightwish. Should generally be kid friendly, though a bit dark at times.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959409/