WINNT Service help (Setiqueue related)

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
OK I installed setiqueue on my work fleet as a service. The problem is it isn't Autostarting on system reboot. When the service description is pulled up it says autostart but it doesn't happen. And for some reason people like to reboot when they log off hte network. We just lost a day and a half of production(1700wu's) due to this.:( Any ideas?

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
I don't know the answer to your specific question but is there a computer that you can put the SetiQueue on so it can run as a regular windows application and not as a service? For instance, on your own personal machine?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Hrm..not autostarting...:confused:

One thing to check...is "Interact with desktop" enabled? If it is, disable that option.

Garry

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Smoke
I don't know the answer to your specific question but is there a computer that you can put the SetiQueue on so it can run as a regular windows application and not as a service? For instance, on your own personal machine?

Unfortunately we only have 5 computers in our office on the network and 9 people in the office. We put it on the "new" computer which is also the fastest. Due to that everyone wants to use it. :(

Garry I will check that tomorrow. I don't remember off the top of my head.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
It doesn't need much in the way of resources so I would put it on the slower one that nobody wants to use. ;)

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Ok I checked and the intercat with desktop is not checked.

And I could move it to another computer but then I would need to change the proxy setting on over 200 clients!!!!

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Is this computer always logged on? or at least 99% of the time?

If so, just make a shortcut, drop it in the autostart folder, and add -nogui to the end. It is invisible like a service, but it starts up every time for sure.

Also..

In Windows/NT 4.0 go to the Control Panel->Services function. In Windows 2000 go to the Control Panel->Admintrative Tools->Services function. Edit the start properties of the setiqueue service to be what you want, and start the setiqueue service.

Do not set the service to interact with the desktop. When SetiQueue is used as a service it expects to run in the background and does not enable any of its user interface functions.

Just make sure it is set to startup automatically, etc

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: dxkj
Is this computer always logged on? or at least 99% of the time?

If so, just make a shortcut, drop it in the autostart folder, and add -nogui to the end. It is invisible like a service, but it starts up every time for sure.

Also..

In Windows/NT 4.0 go to the Control Panel->Services function. In Windows 2000 go to the Control Panel->Admintrative Tools->Services function. Edit the start properties of the setiqueue service to be what you want, and start the setiqueue service.

Do not set the service to interact with the desktop. When SetiQueue is used as a service it expects to run in the background and does not enable any of its user interface functions.

Just make sure it is set to startup automatically, etc

Well I can't leave the computer logged in. People around here find a weird pleasure from rebooting a computer if it is locked by another user. In the services dialog I have it set for autostart and do not interact with desktop. But still everytime the computer reboots setiqueue does not start. it has to be manually started from the services dialog.

Are there any registry settigns that could affect this? I looked and found the service in the registry but I don't know enough about it to know the difference.

soni

Diamond Member
May 29, 2000
ReaganCRW

Try to run this registry file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SetiQueue]
"Start"=dword:00000002

If sets SetiQueue to autostart service.
This should be the same as doing it from the service console, but you might get better luck with this.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
On my NT4-box, SetiQueue is always timing out then trying to start after re-boot... Most likely due to seti@home also starting as service, or something other is using too much resources and therefore interfering... Virus-scanners or firewalls can also make problems...
In Win2k on the other hand I've never had any problems...

BTW, if the queue have many wu cached/pending, it takes longer to start-up since SetiQueue always checks all wu to see if you've got any doublets...

BofRA

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2002
Ok Rattledagger hit the nail on the head. I received the following in EventViewer:

The setiqueue service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

So has anyone attempted to use Firedaemon or something similar to setup it up as a service? Would that even work. hmmmm off to try it out.