Wings of prey...looking impressive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Yeah this is arcade crap, not a sim. Sigh. I think Lock On was the last good combat flight sim.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I miss when the Mechwarrior games were more sim-like and not arcadey...

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I can't play this game as it rolls hard left with my X-52 Pro. Awesome one.

Last edited:

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
What happened to all the Janes games? Those were awesome and the reality was pretty good. I remember ATF, 688i, F/A-18...those were the good ole games. Longbow was pretty sweet too.

I wish DCS had a Apache version but I guess the A-10 will have to do.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
i picked it up on Steam. It's cool. Gives me my WW2 flight sim fix.

Question: Where is the savegame file(s) stored? (Steam version)

edit: Found it. My Documents / My Games.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Cant help with the Steam Savegame issue but I will say this:

It has an arcade mode, realistic mode, and simulator mode.
If the game isnt making you happy you are probably playing it wrong.

As for the Janes games, I heard they didnt make the profit they wanted to keep putting out new games. So they stopped. For reference, the best one was Fighters Anthology, cuz it had all the planes, and it was the only one with 3D acceleration. All the other had been made for DOS/Win95, which didnt use 3D acceleration.

Karsten

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Played the demo. It is a pretty solid WWII fighter sim. Only complaint is for whatever reason the game wont recognize the buttons on my Saitek joystick.

Downloaded the demo and have the same Joystick issue. A game that can't get that right.... well... pass!

darom

Dec 3, 2002
Another user with a Saitek Cyborg joystick that works half a$$ way in this game. The plane flies to the left - I can't find the trim button.

IL-2 online community/gaming was fun a few years ago, lots of servers with realism options turned on (cockpit view only, limited ammo/fuel etc.).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I keep playing the demo over and over.
Dare I get the full version? At 50 bucks I am hesitant. Been disappointed too many times.
However, this is an usual game from an usual company in a time of bullshit large corporations and mass production. Maybe this is different.

Discuss?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I keep playing the demo over and over.
Dare I get the full version? At 50 bucks I am hesitant. Been disappointed too many times.
However, this is an usual game from an usual company in a time of bullshit large corporations and mass production. Maybe this is different.

Discuss?

iirc it has bullshit DRM like the new ubisoft crap coming out. Have to be connected to their servers to play any of it.

I really enjoyed the demo too myself, but cause of the drm crap, they can suck it

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP! Read the dates!!!

OK, after several weeks of putting up with the DRM and forced online nonsense from YuPlay, I finally got to the point where playing the game doesnt piss me off anymore.

So, has anyone purchased the expansion pack?
How is it?
At 15 bucks I am tempted because this game is SO FUCKING FUN I MAY SHIT MYSELF AND DIE!
Almost makes me wanna get a stick and pedals. First time I flew in the driving rain I almost cried cuz it was so god damn awesome.