agg123456789

Jan 28, 2001
What do you all know about WINE the "virtual pc" of linux...is it any good? fast enough on a 1 Ghz proc? thanks a million

agg123456789

MGMorden

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2000
Wine doesn't take too much of a speed hit as it doesn't have to emulate a cpu or anything like the oh so popular SNES or PSX emulators do. It just implements the Windows API into a form that works in Linux. When a program works it generally works pretty good. However not ALL programs work in Wine. The day they get Quicktime to work will be a joyous occasion indeed (as Apple is too freakin' annoying to port it. They've got an OS X version so the code has been at least partially Unix-ified, but they are unwilling to do the minimal porting to Linux . . .)

lucidguy

Banned
Apr 24, 2001
Quicktime is horrible, terrible. The shiny metallic UI takes half the processing power just to display, playing the Quicktime movie takes the other 50%.

The future of compressed video will be a three-way match between Real video, Windows Media, and Ogg Tarkin (the upcoming video project from the makers of Ogg Vorbis).

Agamar

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I used wine about a year ago. I had it running IE about 75% working.. It ran all the small programs fine (calc, solitair, notepad, etc). I had it running Office 97 with about 95% functionality. Printing was tough though. Never did get it printing well.

MGMorden

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2000
However, that shiny metallic UI is one of the most clean and well implemented interfaces I've ever seen. That's one of the main problems with lots of available Linux apps. Sure they work but the look like crap on the outside. As to the quality of quicktime it's the best I've seen besides MPEG2 (and to say RealVideo is better is Lunacy IMHO. the only thing better about it is that there's a native linux port). And as far as processing power I don't really buy that it takes too much. I played them fine on my 300mhz machine. My 1.2ghz box can't have any trouble.