wine without the labels

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
I need to buy about 100 bottles of wine that have no labels. I want to make personalized labels for VeggieFrog's wedding. The prices I am seeing to get these made ... bottles of wine with personalized labels... are like twice the price of the bottle of wine.

I would like to get the wine, without any labels and make my own.

Anyone have any idea where I can get them?

If not, is there a way I can get the labels off bottles of wine without ruining the wine? Is that even legal? Is it against some law somewhere to remove a label off a bottle of wine and replace it with my own?

Thanks in advance,
:) KarenMarie

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Coquito
Throw them into the cooler & wait for the ice to melt. :)

Thanks for the reply!

I had thought about that... but not only is does it seem a daunting task, with 100+ bottles in coolers all over the house, then peeling/scraping the labels off... but i am not sure if it will hurt the wine to have all those temp changes, as i am not sure i have the space to keep over 100 bottles of wine chilled. they will get warm at the reception. That is if I go with white wine.

I was looking to do red wine, since it is room temp anyway. Will it ruin the red if i chill it down and then let it get room temp again.

i am not talking $30 per bottle or anything as nice as that. I am looking in the $10-12 bottle range.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Peel the labels off, then soak in rubbing alcohol to dissolve the glue. At least I think that would work. If not, Goo-Gone or Goof-Off might, but you have to be really careful not to let any of the cleaners near the mouth.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Thanks!!

:)

I will try it with one bottle to start and see how it goes.

Appreciate it, Howard and Coquito!

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I'd suggest borrowing someone's clothes steamer...should be quicker without putting the wine under fluctuating temperatures for too long.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
Why bother? Why not paste the new labels right over the old? We did that for a friend's wedding. It's no more difficult than pasting new labels straight on glass.

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Apex
Why bother? Why not paste the new labels right over the old? We did that for a friend's wedding. It's no more difficult than pasting new labels straight on glass.
W1nn4r!

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: NiteWulf
W1nn4r!

no, it will look really cheesy.

personally, I would contact a local winery to see if they could make sure arrangement...

Karen, I believe there are some white white makers in the East Coast they maybge to help you out... since, applying Goo-gone to 100 bottles could be a pain.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Originally posted by: andylawcc

personally, I would contact a local winery to see if they could make sure arrangement...

Karen, I believe there are some white white makers in the East Coast they maybge to help you out... since, applying Goo-gone to 100 bottles could be a pain.

that was my 1st thought too---to contact a local winery & just maybe they'll also "donate" a few bottles for the wedding.

also, check out this link. i cannot say one way or another if any of the suggestions will work since i really don't drink, maybe twice a year tops....so i'm really the last person to even try to give any advice on this, LOL.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't see what the problem would be if you made the custom labels slightly larger than the originals and just put it over the old labels.

Along the lines of steaming you could also try scoring the labels with a Paper Tiger and use some wallpaper remover solution. It's thicker than goo-gone and will hold onto the labels longer.

There are also some adhesive removers (Old Hard Adhesive Remover) that are even more potent than goo gone and wallpaper remover. Here is another.

Apex

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
www.gotapex.com
W1nn4r!

You can't even see the label underneath if you use cardstock. Nothing cheesy about it.

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Fine a cheap bottle of wine with a small, flat label and paste yours over it. Not cheesy. Cheapest option, too.

I use a product called "Label Off" at work to get labels off wine bottles for scanning. It won't take the glue off, though.

theknight571

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Look for a local winery.

We have one here locally that's in a strip mall of all places.

They will bottle and label their wines anyway you like.

My brother-in-law and his wife had custom lables made for the wine served at their wedding.

And for Christmas this year, they got my wife some custom labeled bottles.

This place will even help you make your own wine.

Nice place, and good wine too. (Admittedly I'm not the best judge.. but hey.. I like it. :p)

Found their website: Bella Vino Winery

They might be able to make it and ship it... you'd have to ask.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Scrape the labels with a razor blade. Use Ronson lighter fluid to get the mastic off the bottles.

L

Lola

I would just soak the wine labels already on the bottle in windex, let it sit then wipe it off. It might take a while, but i agree, do not paste on top of the other label. That is just tacky.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
W1nn4r!

You can't even see the label underneath if you use cardstock. Nothing cheesy about it.

Agreed, what's wrong with this option?

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Wow, there are some really good suggestions here.

BrunoPuntzJones, I will call them tomorrow. Same for the link you posted theknight571! Xstatic1, going from just skimming that page, it seems those are for empty bottles.

The rest of the suggestions are really cool. i think I will get a couple of bottles and see how easy the labels are to get off. I don't think I would paste a new label over an existing one.

thanks everyone!!

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage

Agreed, what's wrong with this option?

Or if you're really concerned, you can scrape most of the label off and paste the new label over the glue instead, saving yourself the step of getting the whole bottle perfectly clean without committing the apparent social faux pas of--good heavens--pasting a label ON TOP of another label!:Q
;)