Windows2000 GeForceDDR Problems with Det3 12.41

Xelman

Jul 14, 2000
Greetings folks,
I'm having some problems on my Win2000 machine with the new drivers released by nVidia. With the 12.41 drivers installed, lots of colors within programs and even opened folders becomes a dark bold color, almost seeming inversed. From within mIRC, the icons along the top of the program have their colors completely messed up, and when I open My Computer, or any other window, the left portion of the window becomes dark bold colors, of which I know aren't supposed to be there.

This is Win2000, with SP2 installed. The video card is a GeForce256 DDR, and the problems occur with the officially released 12.41 drivers. Any ideas?

(BTW, a quick way that I found to temporarily fix these color abnormalities was to run the original quakeworld client - a dos application - and quit it. The start menu turns a light blue hue, but the dark bold colors are gone for at least a little while.)

I thank you all in advance for any help that you might be able to offer.

--Xel

puppet

Oct 13, 1999
Aren't these drivers optimized for the later versions on GeForces?? I wouldn't expect any det.s' higher than 6.xx or 7.xx to do much good for the DDR at all.

Xelman

Jul 14, 2000
I am interested in the new drivers for the enhanced DirectX 8 support. I am using the 6.50 drivers until I can come up with a resolution for the problems that I am having.

--Xel

Rickr

Oct 21, 1999
I also have a GeForceDDR, and have been using 12.XX beta drivers in Win2K for a while with NO problems. I will load the official 12.41 tonight to see if I can duplicate your problem.

So don't listen to anyone who says these don't work on the original GeForce. They are necessary for proper DX8 support.

My suggestion would be to change your video driver to "Standard VGA", reboot, and then try loading the newest drivers.

Xelman

Jul 14, 2000
I did a 100% clean driver install, following instructions on geforcefaq.com(changing the directories to match win2000 of course), reboot with the standard vga, and installed the 12.41. I still have the color issues. This time, however, I took a screenshot.

http://www.invect.com/~matt/nvidia_messed_driv1.zip

The file within is a bitmap showing the color issues while in Outlook Express. I blacked out some areas to keep certain email addresses and names from being seen, but the color issues with the icons are what the new det3 drivers are causing me.

Hope this helps someone out there help ME =P

--Xel

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Xelman, have you restarted after changing your dekstop color depth? I know it sounds stupid, but I know on my Voodoo card I have in my AMD K6-300, some things such as menus and so forth look EXACTLY like what you see in your screenshot. A simple restart fixes it and it's all good.

Good luck!

Xelman

Jul 14, 2000
Yes, I have tried restarting. It often looks like that after a clean reboot.

--Xel

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
I was running the 12.40 with the creative geforce DDR and did a mere "update" to the official 12.41. I didn't notice any problems with my board that you have mentioned.

Xelman

Jul 14, 2000
I have tried various things since my last post to make these drivers work properly, including lowering and raising refresh rates to make sure it wasnt a problem there, changing to 256 colors to make sure that it wasnt a problem there, toggling various Display control panel settings that looked to be relavent. Still, I get those terrible discolorations. Anyone else with any ideas on this?

--Xel

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
Before, I was using the 12.00 drivers with my Geforce2 MX in Windows 2000. However, with the 12.41, stuff got slower. I downgraded again and everything works fine. I would suggest just sticking with the 12.00's.