Windows XP was released 20 years ago today

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I like having a clear conscience.

Per MS level III support Win 10 upgrades based off "retail" licenses inherit the "rights" of the license they upgraded.

If you have "conscience" issues I'm afraid you can't blame it on Windows. ;)

The only reason 8/8.1 don't have the same update issues as 10 is that they are no longer being kept up to date really. (for example many newer games won't even work on 8)

I stuck with Windows 7 for as long as possible until support ended, BUT I did it because in many ways it was a better OS then 10. (8 isn't even a better OS then Vista was)

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Reactions: Kaido

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

I kinda feel for that dude. Write a funny little ha-ha virus & end up causing $10B in damage. OTOH, bad actors exist & we need to remain vigilant about protection, because there are cynical, evil people out there who belief this stuff:
1630211081946.png

Reactions: Captante

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Pretty interesting that there wasn't actually a law against hacking so nothing happened to the guy. It seems like a comical set of weak points he exploited but it still all hinged on attacking the human element in the chain.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
As Torvalds wrote in his book Just for Fun,[13] he eventually ended up writing an operating system kernel. On 25 August 1991, he (at age 21) announced this system in a Usenet posting to the newsgroup "comp.os.minix.":[14]

Hello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).
I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :)
Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
— Linus Torvalds[15]

Happy birthday Linux.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just had a random thought. They should do a show like Kitchen Nightmares called Software Nightmares and it's Linus Torvalds overseeing a programming project's code. That would be entertaining. Never ever going to happen but I'd love to see him go through the Windows kernel code and blast it. "What the hell is this! The function has buffer overflow written all over it, when was this written in, 1980? I can tell this function is not working the way you think just by looking at it! Where are your unit tests? Come on this is pure garbage I've seen $20 rent a coder routines written better than this!".

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I just had a random thought. They should do a show like Kitchen Nightmares called Software Nightmares and it's Linus Torvalds overseeing a programming project's code. That would be entertaining. Never ever going to happen but I'd love to see him go through the Windows kernel code and blast it. "What the hell is this! The function has buffer overflow written all over it, when was this written in, 1980? I can tell this function is not working the way you think just by looking at it! Where are your unit tests? Come on this is pure garbage I've seen $20 rent a coder routines written better than this!".

Maybe 3 people would watch it.