Windows XP SP2: Supports SATA by default?

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
If I have a Windows XP SP2 cd-rom, will I still need SATA floppies to install onto an SATA drive?

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
You certain about that Chad?

I want to say I've dropped an OS image w/ IDE drivers on SATA boxes and it detected the hardware during the setup; but I'd have to double-check the hardware in those boxes to be sure.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Some SATA controllers can emulate PATA and would not require drivers on floppy regardless. It'll be nice when we can finally retire the floppy drive for good, at any rate :)

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
It's not so much SATA itself as it is the SATA controller that you need drivers for. Different controllers need different drivers. I'm not sure if Windows XP includes any SATA controller drivers, but I know for mine it wasn't there (Silicon Image) so I needed a floppy.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble
It's not so much SATA itself as it is the SATA controller that you need drivers for. Different controllers need different drivers. I'm not sure if Windows XP includes any SATA controller drivers, but I know for mine it wasn't there (Silicon Image) so I needed a floppy.

you should slipstream your motherboard's sata drivers into the xp cd

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: AkumaX

Yeah, I know that ;)

But I was giving an example for the OP's question :)

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Is that possible? I figured slipstreaming was only possible for Windows XP patches. Would slipstreaming them onto the CD work the same way? And then it would just automatically use the right drivers, not needing to specify where to get them during installation?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: crimson117
Why would they add a firewall?

1. The firewall was not added. It was updated and turned on by default.
2. The goal of SP2 was to add security features and tighten up the operating system. The firewall fits in line with that goal.

It's a major overall to be sure, but I don't recall Microsoft stating that they would support more hardware out-of-the-box. Adding a bunch of device drivers would have increased the size of an already very large download and benefitted only a fraction of users who slipstream their XP setup CDs.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
Originally posted by: AkumaX

Yeah, I know that ;)

But I was giving an example for the OP's question :)

yeah, actually meant to quote the OP, but we had the right idea :eek:

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: MrChad
Originally posted by: crimson117
Why would they add a firewall?

1. The firewall was not added. It was updated and turned on by default.
2. The goal of SP2 was to add security features and tighten up the operating system. The firewall fits in line with that goal.

It's a major overall to be sure, but I don't recall Microsoft stating that they would support more hardware out-of-the-box. Adding a bunch of device drivers would have increased the size of an already very large download and benefitted only a fraction of users who slipstream their XP setup CDs.
Yeah, you're right. Still, new retail copies of Win XP contain SP2 already, so slipstreaming wouldn't be necessary.