Windows XP SP2 could break existing applications

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Microsoft focused on security improvements at the expense of backward compatibility

MARCH 05, 2004 (IDG NEWS SERVICE) - When Microsoft Corp. releases Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP later this year, some software developers may find that their applications no longer work on updated Windows machines.
Microsoft has made something of a trade-off with the update, focusing on security improvements at the expense of backward compatibility. The software vendor is calling on all software developers to test their code against the beta version of SP2 or face the possibility that the update will break their handiwork.

Windows XP SP2 is more than the usual roll-up of bug fixes and updates. It's also being used to make significant changes to the software that are designed to improve security. These changes can render applications inoperable, Microsoft said.

"It may surprise some of the developers that we are changing some defaults, and that may affect the way some of the older applications run," said Tony Goodhew, a product manager in Microsoft's developer group. "Developers should absolutely be checking their applications against Windows XP SP2."

Changes to Windows XP made by SP2 fall into four main areas: network protection, memory protection, e-mail security and browsing security. The most affected parts of Windows are RPCs (Remote Procedure Calls), DCOM (Distributed Component Object Model), Windows Firewall and memory execution protection, according to Microsoft.

Many of the changes can disrupt functions of Windows and other applications, said Thor Larholm, a senior security researcher at PivX Solutions LLC in Newport Beach, Calif. "By design, many of the new security improvements will break functions for a wide range of applications," he said.

SP2 went into beta testing last year, and Microsoft plans to release the update in mid-2004. Compatibility issues shouldn't hold back its release, Goodhew said. "We're aiming to release SP2 midyear. As far as we stand, we're still on track to do that," he said.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Lovely. I wish someone would write an OS right the first time.

Why don't you? I mean, its easy to make an all encompassing operating system that is compatible with basically any peice of hardware out there, be completely free of security holes and never require any updates.

So you don't use windows? You use nothing but the all powerful system of linux?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Hmm I already have email security, browsing security, application security, gaming security, warez security, blah blah.. Cause I use as few MS products as possible!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

Why don't you? I mean, its easy to make an all encompassing operating system that is compatible with basically any peice of hardware out there, be completely free of security holes and never require any updates.

Hah! Snared by the sarcasm trap! Looks like I have dinner tonight! :D

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

You bastard. Didn't expect any sarcasm when its the first reply to the post and didn't quote anything :)

*taps sacrasm meter*

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

Right. Way to CYA. :p

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Great. MS released a hotfix not too long ago which broke our application. That was a major problem. This should be even more fun.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: samgau
Is there a place where we can download the beta version of SP2?

I'm trying to find it too so we can get a leg up on testing. We have an MSDN subscription, but I still can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on the MSDN downloads.

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001

They did - it was called OS/2 Warp 4

It was to the Computer community what Super Beta was to video formats. Superior in everything but marketing and acceptance :(

samgau

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: trmiv

I'm trying to find it too so we can get a leg up on testing. We have an MSDN subscription, but I still can't seem to find it.

How big of a download is it?

I don't think we got a subscription.... :(

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
every itteration of windows broke something and many service packs had potential to break something.... (which they did)

what's the big deal with this one?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Did any of you actually read this??? It will break applications that were insecure and need to be fixed anyway. If your application has buffer overflow problems that could be exploited, it will not work right. That is what they are talking about.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: trmiv

How big of a download is it?

I don't think we got a subscription.... :(

407 megs.

Did any of you actually read this??? It will break applications that were insecure and need to be fixed anyway. If your application has buffer overflow problems that could be exploited, it will not work right. That is what they are talking about.

Depending on what you develop, this can be out of your control. For example, the last time this happened, with a hot fix, it broke something in our platform software the we develop on. We were at the mercy of the developer of our platform until a fix was made, which sucked. If it's something we can fix, we react quickly, but that isn't always the case when it's out of our control.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Just because the service pack is coming out doesn't mean you have to install it. XP is still better than 2k for a lot of things, IMO.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: beatle
Just because the service pack is coming out doesn't mean you have to install it. XP is still better than 2k for a lot of things, IMO.

For software developers, you can't control this. Your customers are going to install it, so you better find the problems before they do.