Windows XP SP2 Beta Includes Built-in Virus Scanner

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Shamelessly ripped from /. :

"InternetNews.com reports that Microsoft has begun beta-testing a built-in virus scanner for its Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) that will be included in the final product in mid-2004.

I get the feeling that the AV companies are definitely going to feel a pinch from this. I know that a lot of us will probably want more sophisticated AV software but for the average user it doesn't matter. Knowing that Windows has AV built in will definitely deter them from buying a 3rd Party package.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily against the idea of MS building in some basic AV so long as I can disable it.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Damnit. Now I'll have to keep all the other updates instead of having one neat little file.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
First Microsoft destryoed the Solitaire industry, then the screen resolution setting utility industry, and now the AV industry? WHERE DOES IT STOP?

GoodToGo

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Originally posted by: aves2k
Shamelessly ripped from Slashdot:

"InternetNews.com reports that Microsoft has begun beta-testing a built-in virus scanner for its Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) that will be included in the final product in mid-2004.

I get the feeling that the AV companies are definitely going to feel a pinch from this. I know that a lot of us will probably want more sophisticated AV software but for the average user it doesn't matter. Knowing that Windows has AV built in will definitely deter them from buying a 3rd Party package.

........HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ladies and Gentlemen, here We have Microsoft that has so many holes in their software that it would put swiss cheese to shame. And now they plan to put Anti Virus software in their OS? Oh boy imagine the irony when someone hacks through it or uses some unknown vulnerability in it and it corrupts/infects the whole system. Yay for Microsoft!

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
Guess I won't likely be updating to SP2. Last thing I want is more bloat.

Same here. But there will probably be some reason for me too....booooooo.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I have a SP2 beta slipstream install disc and I didn't notice this feature. Granted it's not installed on my system, but I did play with it for a little while before it crashed the testbed system.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Meh. If it's anything like XP's built-in firewall it'll give some protection for people who are too stupid to buy anything, and people who know better will still buy someone else's product.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: GoodToGo
........HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ladies and Gentlemen, here We have Microsoft that has so many holes in their software that it would put swiss cheese to shame. And now they plan to put Anti Virus software in their OS? Oh boy imagine the irony when someone hacks through it or uses some unknown vulnerability in it and it corrupts/infects the whole system. Yay for Microsoft!

Exactly what I was just saying in #neochat.

MS is going to be a laughing stock if someone finds a buffer overflow in the AV software that lets them own the box. That's not to say that there aren't any vulnerabilities in Norton or Mcafee but who's looking for them there.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
First Microsoft destryoed the Solitaire industry, then the screen resolution setting utility industry, and now the AV industry? WHERE DOES IT STOP?

ROFL.. That's what I feel too..

Good.. we get more bundled software in Windows. I'm happy as long as I can disable it. MS even tried nondisableable (awesome word, btw) Messenger in Windows XP and no one used it anyway. It proves that just because MS includes it doesn't mean people will use it. Ya, people use IE more now.. but Netscape really sucked.

AV software should be free, IMO. But then again, I think all software should be open source. But then again, I don't use Antivirus software in the first place because I back everything up and I hardly get viruses. It's hard for me to justify a 2-10% performance decrease just so I can avoid formatting my computer once extra every 3 years.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: KingNothing
Meh. If it's anything like XP's built-in firewall it'll give some protection for people who are too stupid to buy anything, and people who know better will still buy someone else's product.

Thats the thing. This is a good thing. Most computer users are stupid. Some is better than nothing.

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
I have a SP2 beta slipstream install disc and I didn't notice this feature. Granted it's not installed on my system, but I did play with it for a little while before it crashed the testbed system.

It may be a newer version of the beta.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: GoodToGo
........HAHAHAHAHAHA!

My thoughts exactly, bypass the so called AV portion of windows and you got yourself a deadly virus/worm.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

People complain when Microsoft doesn't provide enough security. People complain when Microsoft provides the means of security (a.k.a. bloat). When are you guys going to be happy? :p

I think it's great Microsoft is integrating an antivirus program. They should enable it by default as well as the firewall and allow power users to disable and run their own. Hopefully it prevent normal users from screwing themselves over.

They had Mcafee in one of the older Plus! for Windows. Plus! 98 it was I believe. Too bad they stopped putting it in Plus!

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: saxophonoia

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. Some software that I want to use will come out requiring SP2. blah.

saxophonoia

Platinum Member
Nov 6, 2003
Originally posted by: saxophonoia

Yeah, wishful thinking on my part. Some software that I want to use will come out requiring SP2. blah.

Exactly. They'll get you somehow.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I've always felt that Microsoft should have incorporated some sort of Anti-Virus program in their OS. Everyone seems very quick to judge MS.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
hell yeah...i'm gonna ditch them all once MS gets virus scanning integrated.
its prolly a deal with some 3rd party who will provide the engine and updates etc...
works for me.

even better if they integrate spyware catcher.
just hope its not a update for a fee kinda dealio...

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
I don't see why they don't just get some other company to do it for them. Alot of users would probably upgrade to a Virus Pro on their system. SO both companies can win.

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Microsoft making an anti-virus scanner is a good idea like Ralph Nader's run for the presidency is a good idea. It just won't work.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
I doubt Microsoft would make their own scanner. As slycat mentioned, it's probably a 3rd party deal. Just like how the Win2K/XP defrag program is a lite version of Diskeeper and the XP burning software is from Roxio.

Yet both companies still release their premium versions of the software, so it's no problem.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
i dont think it is a bad idea. I dont get why people bash MS anymore. Seriously, over 1 million people use their OS. HOw do you expect them to make it bullet proof? If over 1 million people used Linux, it would be the same exact way.