Question Windows XP - keyboard not responding

kotjim

May 24, 2024
Hi!

I found old CPU in the basement and its having Windows XP. (in the BIOS Keyboard is working.)

On login screen it, keyboard was not working.

Then I
1) tried in the safe mode, command prompt mode etc. - not worked.
2) I remembered that I used to use PS/2 keyboard when I use it earlier.
3) taken help from Inet and as per their suggestions, XP takes only old keyboard drivers.
4) Connected PS/2 keyboard next day and it started working. At the same time, attached USB keyboard and both keyboards (at the same time) worked.
5) removed PS/2 and USB was worked find for One day. Rebooted many times and it worked well.
6) next day, not any keyboard was working.

So I am accessing this CPU through remote desktop.

What is the reason of not working any keyboard next day?

Thanks in advance.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
You may have a bad PS2 connector on the MB.

With the CPU off, connect the PS2 KB, then start the CPU.

During POST, you should see the KB shown as registered plus typically one or more KB lights will flash (eg, the "CAPS on" LED) as KB is recognized as connected.

Once booted up, check device manager to see if KB is present.

Recommend spraying out MB USB & PS2 port connectors with DEOXIT D5 contact cleaner then retry system startup with KBs connected.

Good Luck

Oh ya, remember that ypically with older CPUes, you will only be able to access the BIOS using the PS2 KB (and not thru USB).

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Just a note.

Checked my old P4 system that uses PS2 KB.

If you can, go into the BIOS to see what controls are available for KB detection (eg, AUTO/Enabled).

Generally KB was assigned to IRQ12 and there could be something conflicting or stealing this IRQ thus resulting in no PS2 KB.

Also, once you get into XP, there is an on screen KB that is available which you can control with the mouse.
You can access it by going to:

- START
- PROGRAMS
- ACCESSORIES
- ACCESSIBILITY
- On-Screen Keyboard

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/windows-xp-in/0596009003/re139.html

Reactions: winr and kotjim

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Could it be you have some third-party keyboard/mouse software installed? I recently worked on PC that had older version of Logitech software from 2010 but no supported Logitech devices present anymore. It was mucking with the keyboard function in Windows. After uninstalling all the Logitech software, problem solved.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

kotjim

May 24, 2024
Could it be you have some third-party keyboard/mouse software installed? I recently worked on PC that had older version of Logitech software from 2010 but no supported Logitech devices present anymore. It was mucking with the keyboard function in Windows. After uninstalling all the Logitech software, problem solved.
no third party software. That CPU was not in use since years. I just found laying it as junk and powered on last week.

kotjim

May 24, 2024
Just a note.

Checked my old P4 system that uses PS2 KB.

If you can, go into the BIOS to see what controls are available for KB detection (eg, AUTO/Enabled).

Generally KB was assigned to IRQ12 and there could be something conflicting or stealing this IRQ thus resulting in no PS2 KB.

Also, once you get into XP, there is an on screen KB that is available which you can control with the mouse.
You can access it by going to:

- START
- PROGRAMS
- ACCESSORIES
- ACCESSIBILITY
- On-Screen Keyboard

https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/windows-xp-in/0596009003/re139.html
There is no perticular settings in the BIOS. But in the BIOS and till the windows boot, both the keyboards are working.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
OP, I don't know if you're aware of this, but PS/2 devices should only be connected/disconnected while the computer is off for safety and functionality reasons.

XP has its own driver for handling PS/2 keyboards and mice so it should work in safe mode perfectly well. There can also be issues with the built-in driver if third party software had been installed at one point leaving a filter driver entry on the default drivers, and if the filter driver that registry entry corresponds to, it tends to cause problems with the driver working at all.

Is the keyboard *consistently* working OK in the BIOS?

On older BIOS's USB keyboard can often be enabled, the option is weirdly often called 'usb legacy support'. XP should be able to handle a USB keyboard in safe mode too.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
For XP, if you go into "Control Panel" you should see a line item called "Keyboard."

From there you should see your keyboard status plus be able to see an option to view plus re-install the KB driver (DriverTab then Properties Button).