Windows XP Home OEM 3-pack

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This qualifies only as a "warm" deal, but I haven't seen a lower price.

For residents of all states but Wisconsin (sales tax in WI):

Windows XP Home Edition OEM 3-pack - $232.59 free ship

For residents of all states but California (sales tax in CA):

Windows XP Home Edition OEM 3-pack - $231.60 free ship

Update: I received my order from e-ChipSoftware.com and got DELL branded versions of XP Home OEM. Sealed including COA, but still not what I was expecting, nor is there any mention of even the possibility of getting OEM branded versions on the product page. Grrr!

I'm not sure these will even install on a non-Dell system. Aren't all Dell OEM OS CDs BIOS locked these days?

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
Just another option if you want to go OEM.

You could buy an OEM disk, COA and key for around $90; then buy two COA and keys for about $50 each on pricewatch. Your outlay would be about $190 for 3 licenses with "hardware purchases" and use the OEM install disk for all three. I've used 9software.com before for my at home computers and had no problems. You get the COA's and keys which are then specific to the builds.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
You could buy an OEM disk, COA and key for around $90; then buy two COA and keys for about $50 each on pricewatch. Your outlay would be about $190 for 3 licenses with "hardware purchases" and use the OEM install disk for all three.
This is an option, to be sure, but not a legitimate one.

The "standalone COA" is not a valid user license. A Certificate Of Authenticity 'certifies' the 'authenticity' of the product with which it is packaged and distributed. Since a standalone COA has no accompanying product, it certifies the authenticity of nothing, thus serves as a license for nothing.

They work insofar as installation and activation goes, but its no more of a valid user license than if I scribbled "XP Home User License" on a cocktail napkin and charged 50 bucks for it.

However, if legitimacy of software license is of no concern to you, it is one option.

remagavon

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: tcsenter
You could buy an OEM disk, COA and key for around $90; then buy two COA and keys for about $50 each on pricewatch. Your outlay would be about $190 for 3 licenses with "hardware purchases" and use the OEM install disk for all three.
This is an option, to be sure, but not a legitimate one.

The "standalone COA" is not a valid user license. A Certificate Of Authenticity 'certifies' the 'authenticity' of the product with which it is packaged and distributed. Since a standalone COA has no accompanying product, it certifies the authenticity of nothing, thus serves as a license for nothing.

They work insofar as installation and activation goes, but its no more of a valid user license than if I scribbled "XP Home User License" on a cocktail napkin and charged 50 bucks for it.

However, if legitimacy of software license is of no concern to you, it is one option.

Why does Microsoft sell COA's directly then? At least they used to. I got quoted ~$130 for a Windows Me license once when the retail was $200. I have software through college now but I'd like to know more about this for future use. Thanks.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Why does Microsoft sell COA's directly then?
It doesn't. Microsoft sells additional licenses and Microsoft License Packs (MLP) which include a COA sticker. A COA is not a license, it is only one component of valid software license.

Additional licenses are only valid if the user owns a full version retail or retail upgrade product. There is no additional license of any type for OEM versions of Microsoft Operating Systems.

If you own a full retail or retail upgrade version of XP, you can purchase up to three additional licenses:

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition

Additional License Verification and Pricing

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
This is a very good deal for system builders. However, I've seen 10-packs for $800, and you can get $100/ea on eBay, making a $200 profit minus eBay and possible Paypal fee's.

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
If for home office/business use (NFR/NFD), the Action Pack would make a bit more economical sense, if one qualifies for such; moreover considering the additional producs offered for the outlay (currently $299). As stated below, the pack includes ten licenses of all desktop software, including Xp (believe it is Xp Professional, however).

"How do the Product Keys work with my Action Pack subscription?

The Microsoft Action Pack Subscription provides you with 10 licenses of all desktop software, along with one license and 10 client-access licenses (CALs) of all server software shipped."

Edit: Listing of current products in the Action Pack:

Microsoft Business Solutions CRM Professional
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard SP1
Microsoft Internet Security Accelerator (ISA) Server Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Live Communication Server 2003
Microsoft MapPoint ® 2004
Microsoft Mobile Information Server (Single Processor)
Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Office Business Contact Manager 2003
Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003
Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
Microsoft Office Project Server 2003
Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
Microsoft Office Sharepoint? Portal Server 2003
Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003
Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard SP 3a
Microsoft Virtual PC 2004
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server CALs
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Microsoft Windows Sharepoint? Services Standard 2003
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition Server
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP SP2
System Builder OEM Software ? includes OEM Windows XP SP2 Pro, OEM Office 2003 Small Business Edition, OEM Small Business Server 2003 Premium, OEM Windows Media Center Edition, and associated OPKits

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Why does Microsoft sell COA's directly then?
It doesn't. Microsoft sells additional licenses and Microsoft License Packs (MLP) which include a COA sticker. A COA is not a license, it is only one component of valid software license.

Additional licenses are only valid if the user owns a full version retail or retail upgrade product. There is no additional license of any type for OEM versions of Microsoft Operating Systems.

If you own a full retail or retail upgrade version of XP, you can purchase up to three additional licenses:

How to Order Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition

Additional License Verification and Pricing

Why should I buy an additional licence from Microsoft for $184.00 when I can get the OEM version WITH CD for $89.00 from here

It is scams and rip-off like this from MS that leave me with no sympathy for them when they cry about piracy. Piracy by others is wrong but highway robbery by them is ok?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This is a very good deal for system builders. However, I've seen 10-packs for $800, and you can get $100/ea on eBay, making a $200 profit minus eBay and possible Paypal fee's.
The 3-packs above work out to slightly less than $78 each, or around $780.00 for 10. That's the best deal I've seen per copy even when buying in 30-packs.
If for home office/business use (NFR/NFD), the Action Pack would make a bit more economical sense, if one qualifies for such; moreover considering the additional producs offered for the outlay (currently $299).
Wow. Are all these full version software? Seems like the bargain of the year, though I would have no use for all but two or three of those titles. Even so, its very tempting. Must resist temptation...
Why should I buy an additional licence from Microsoft for $184.00 when I can get the OEM version WITH CD for $89.00 from here.
"Microsoft has offered retail partners in the U.S. and Canada the ability to sell additional licenses at a discount."

That is the MSRP when you buy the additional licenses from Microsoft. You can get them for much less from an authorized reseller or retailer, though it is still more than full OEM or DSP version of XP sells for. And again, these are only valid additional licenses for full retail or retail upgrade versions, not OEM or DSP.
It is scams and rip-off like this from MS that leave me with no sympathy for them when they cry about piracy. Piracy by others is wrong but highway robbery by them is ok?
Blah blah blah. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything, so your analogy to robbery is spurious. And a scam is when you are mislead into paying for something you don't receive, again a spurious analogy.

Buy the OEM or DSP version if you don't like the retail prices.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Action packs get you a subscription to use the product(s) for a set time period (usually a year). So basically you are not BUYING anything, only subscribing to use the product for a year or however long the subscription lasts.

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
]Wow. Are all these full version software? Seems like the bargain of the year, though I would have no use for all but two or three of those titles. Even so, its very tempting. Must resist temptation...
Indeed. Full versions of all the software listed, in both desktop and server lines. Updated several times a year, as new software is released. According to the last Microsoft conference I attended (in late October), new Action Pack subscriptions will be released on DVD, as opposed to the past which had been on CD. Both are shipped in storage binders, which make it nice to keep all the software organized.

As mentioned in the previous post (and pointed out again by MixMasterTang), the Action Pack is a subscrption based collection. The two major "catches" (if they could be monikered that) would be: (a) the $299 listed in an annual fee, and - according to the licensing - the software must be uninstalled and destroyed if the subscription is not renewed, and (b) the software is licensed as NFD/NFR, and thus cannot be distributed and/or resold legally under terms of the licensing.

There was a promotion during June of last year (2003) that offered the Action Pack at $99, instead of $299. Thread regarding that promotion and the action pack itself here.

For those with a small business or a home office network, the action pack is an excellent value - quite literally over $10,000 worth of software for under $300.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
There is more than $20,000 worth of software in the Action Pack. The server OSs alone are worth a ton.

ICantAffordIt

Feb 8, 2001
You can also get XP Home OEM edition plus a freebie mouse for $75 at salesintl.com. That way you don't have to buy 3 copies, and it's still a little bit cheaper. They have good resellerratings.

SalesIntl

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: ICantAffordIt
You can also get XP Home OEM edition plus a freebie mouse for $75 at salesintl.com. That way you don't have to buy 3 copies, and it's still a little bit cheaper. They have good resellerratings.

SalesIntl
Yep, I saw that and contacted them to inquire whether this includes a COA. Just received the reply today, in fact:
Dear Customer,

We sell Windows XP Home full DSP for $89.99. This includes the COA. The price for $74.99 is not the DSP version which does not include the COA.

Thank You
Sales International

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Why should I buy an additional licence from Microsoft for $184.00 when I can get the OEM version WITH CD for $89.00 from here.
"Microsoft has offered retail partners in the U.S. and Canada the ability to sell additional licenses at a discount."

That is the MSRP when you buy the additional licenses from Microsoft. You can get them for much less from an authorized reseller or retailer, though it is still more than full OEM or DSP version of XP sells for. And again, these are only valid additional licenses for full retail or retail upgrade versions, not OEM or DSP.
Blah blah blah. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything, so your analogy to robbery is spurious. And a scam is when you are mislead into paying for something you don't receive, again a spurious analogy.

Buy the OEM or DSP version if you don't like the retail prices.

Yeah I know I have the option to buy wherever. Ignore my analogy - I was just blowing off steam at the big brother monopolistic attitude of MS. Everything comes down in price over time with the exception of their products. If you build your own computer and buy their full priced software - the software is the biggest cost of the whole computer. :disgust:

Andrax

Nov 8, 2002
Its actually $199 to RENEW an Action Pack subscription.

So its $299 to start, then $199 each year after that.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
This text borrowed from an anonymous writer about MS products.

"I work closely with Microsoft representatives at the major distributors and directly at Microsoft.

When you buy a microsoft operating system you are buying the licensed right to use and install that operating system. The booklet, media, and papers are just tools. You buy the license and the license is only what matters because it means you have purchased rights to install said operating system once per license.

You are also required to have a copy of the CD for the operating system you are installing. But if you had one copy of windows xp pro and 100 licenses you would still be legal, you don't have to have a cd for each license nor does it have to be the same exact cd that was released with the license (many licenses are released without cd's because they are ordered that way by large manufacturers like dell, sony, etc).

There are also backwards compatible licenses. These include Windows XP Professional which is backwards compatible with Windows 2000 Professional. This means if you buy a Windows XP Professional COA License you can legally install either Windows XP Professional OR even Windows 2000 Professional. Buying the winxp pro license gives you the right to install either operating system. Other operating systems that are backwards compatible are the new Windows 2003 Server software, which is backwards compatible with Windows 2000 Server software in its respective edition (standard, advanced, datacenter, etc).

This information comes straight from regional managers directly at Microsoft as well as the microsoft managers at large distributors (tech data, ingram micro, etc) who are there just to answer licensing questions. These people regulate the proper sales of licensing for hundreds of thousands of sales a day and are not just customer support representatives who read off of computer screens."

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
This text borrowed from an anonymous writer about MS products.
I can see why he would want to remain anonymous. :roll:
You are also required to have a copy of the CD for the operating system you are installing. But if you had one copy of windows xp pro and 100 licenses you would still be legal, you don't have to have a cd for each license nor does it have to be the same exact cd that was released with the license (many licenses are released without cd's because they are ordered that way by large manufacturers like dell, sony, etc).
Bzzzz, sorry!

First, I can only presume the author is referring to a COA when he writes "license(s)". The COA is not a software license:
Q: My Microsoft product came with a Certificate of Authenticity. Is that my End User License Agreement (EULA)?

A: No. The Certificate of Authenticity is a security device that accompanies all Microsoft products distributed with a computer by an OEM (original equipment manufacturer). The Certificate of Authenticity is used to assure the end user that the software program(s) accompanying the computer system is legally licensed Microsoft software.
Straight from Microsoft's System Builder and OEM website (requires login/password access, therefore I'm not linking it):
Q: WHAT IS A CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY (COA)?

A: The Certificate of Authenticity assists you and your customers to determine whether the Microsoft software and components are genuine. The coa is included with each CD Pack or wallet and authenticates only the software components with which it is legally distributed.

PLEASE NOTE:

The coa is not the license. The end user is responsible for keeping track of the software and applicable materials distributed with each computer system (for all software programs). The coa, Product Key in the center of the coa, and the original software are essential elements for establishing your lawful possession of the software media and to enable proper installation.
Pulled from the Microsoft System Builder newsgroup:
-----Original Message-----

>I am confused. I see offered products like Win XP home
>edition, License only (no media) from some suppliers.
>How can this be legal if the license requirement is to
>provide the edge-to-edge hologramed media disk with the
>OEM software when a complete system is delivered to the
>customer?

Hello,

Thank you for your posting. Offers to distribute incomplete OEM System Builder software packages are not legal. Under no circumstances are system builders or any other vendors authorized to distribute single OEM System Builder software components.

Microsoft only authorizes its software to be distributed as a complete package, which includes the original System Builder hologram program media, the End User License Agreement, the coa (adhered to the PC chassis for Windows desktop operating systems), and the user manual (if applicable). Please note that the Certificate of Authenticity included with each OEM System Builder software package authenticates only the software components with which it is legally distributed. As mentioned, any offer to distribute an incomplete Microsoft software package (i.e. coa only) is not authorized, and any individual who was to obtain incomplete Microsoft software components would not be authorized to use the associated software or redistribute the components.

<snipped>

Thank you,

The Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Team
Now that we have established beyond any remote possibility of doubt that a COA is not the user license or software license, lets move on to the rest of our "anonymous" friend's nonsense:
But if you had one copy of windows xp pro and 100 licenses you would still be legal, you don't have to have a cd for each license nor does it have to be the same exact cd that was released with the license (many licenses are released without cd's because they are ordered that way by large manufacturers like dell, sony, etc).
This is correct for registered members of Microsoft Volume Licensing programs (Open License, Select License, Academic License, et. al.).

Participants of Microsoft's OEM Royalty Licensing program like Dell, Sony, HP/Compaq, and Gateway do not order CD media, booklets, manuals, or COA stickers from Microsoft. Under contractual agreement with Microsoft, large OEM customers source their own customized product from Microsoft approved third-party fulfillment sources like IPC Print Services.

If you're not a participant of Microsoft's Volume Licensing or OEM Royalty programs (e.g. a system builder or end-user), there is no legitimate way to own one CD and 100 licenses. Pure fiction.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This is interesting information. Maybe I'm slow tonight, but what does constitute a Microsoft Windows XP license? They say it is not the COA or EULA. Is is the act of agreeing to the EULA when it appears during installation?

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Lanyap
This is interesting information. Maybe I'm slow tonight, but what does constitute a Microsoft Windows XP license? They say it is not the COA or EULA. Is is the act of agreeing to the EULA when it appears during installation?
A software license is not a tangible document like a drivers license, though there is a parallel here; having one's drivers license revoked or suspended doesn't mean having the physical document taken away. It means the privileges or rights for which that license is issued as proof of - to operate a motor vehicle on public streets and highways - has been taken away. You can have proof or certificate of license and yet have no license, yes?

Same goes with the EULA, CD media, and COA. These are proof of license but do not constitute the right or privilege, just as a drivers license does not constitute the legal right or privilege to drive. A software license - the rights and privileges to use the software - is granted through the act of compliance, which includes, but is not limited to, agreement to the terms set forth in the EULA.

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
a complete package, which includes the original System Builder hologram program media, the End User License Agreement, the coa (adhered to the PC chassis for Windows desktop operating systems), and the user manual (if applicable).

Questions/comment just so I'm clear on this:

Buying an OEM "package" which includes the above for about $90 on pricewatch is legal then?

Assuming, based on tcsenter comments, it is illegal to buy additional keys and COAs after previously purchasing an OEM cd above because what constitutes a 'complete' package?

Also as a statement, when I suggested this option, I did not know this and was not intending for resale or redistribution, but for my own in-home use. I would not have done this if I had known.

thanks

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Buying an OEM "package" which includes the above for about $90 on pricewatch is legal then?
As long as its transferred in accordance with the non-peripheral hardware requirement. Note: sealed 3-packs and 30-packs of MS OEM software can be transferred to system builders without a hardware requirement. The last I knew, Microsoft did not require the purchaser (e.g. system builder) to be a registered member of any Microsoft Partner Program.

Microsoft loosely defines a system builder as "anyone who assembles, reassembles or installs software on a new or used computer system." Ergo: anyone who builds, services, or upgrades computers (reseller, system builder, technician, etc), and who agrees to comply with the Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Agreement which is printed or affixed to the packaging of OEM multi-packs.

Multi-packs can be opened and sold individually, but the non-peripheral hardware requirement would apply no matter the purchaser. Single packs consisting of hologram CD, manual or quick start guide, proof of license and COA, and any other accompanying materials cannot be further separated and the components sold (e.g. CD without COA, COA without CD).