Windows XP hates me

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I have one of the first Windows XP Home Edition (Upgrade) discs ever made, Windowblinds Stardock actually cannot be installed, it gave me a build error number. Not that I care too much, but it did give some number like 1.000000########, something really low.

Anyways, it has issues with a lot of things. Unreal Tournament 2004 lasts anywhere from the loading screen, or all the way to when I try to exit, at which point it will either reboot the whole computer, or simply kick me to desktop with a "Critical Build Error". Jedi Knight 2 will occasionally crash out on leaving (which isn't abnormal), however I then cannot start anything. No opening Windows Explorer windows, no running any programs, nothing. All that works is a system restart. On reboots from either of those game crashes, the system informs me it has "recovered from a serious error", the details of which are a .xml file buried within my user documents. There are a couple of minor errors during any bootup, where the Language toolbar is sitting in the tray, and the trim around my desktop is dull blue, rather than any other color I try to set it as. Just a few minutes ago, after another game crash, when I reached the password entry screen, the system informed me it had recovered a registry file from an alternative backup. This issue continues to reappear after reformats, even after three reformats. My system is a Western Digital SATA 3.0 7200RPM 80GB hard drive (+1 degree over room temperature), the processor is an E6400 at 3.36 Ghz (Prime95 and Memtestx86 checked for stability) with 65 degrees Celsius, the motherboard was previously a GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0, and now is a GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3, and the memory is 1x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V, which is looser timings than the shipping rating.

Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on? Is it something that can be fixed? What about contacting Microsoft and telling them the XP is a corrupt build (that's a far-fetched idea I know)? Anybody?

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Just because it is Prime95 stable and passes Memtest does not prove that your system is 100% stable. It really sounds like an overclocking problem. Simply put the system at stock speed to test those games or apps that are crashing.

If the problem goes away, you have the answer.

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
I have one of the first Windows XP Home Edition (Upgrade) discs ever made, Windowblinds Stardock actually cannot be installed, it gave me a build error number. Not that I care too much, but it did give some number like 1.000000########, something really low.

Anyways, it has issues with a lot of things. Unreal Tournament 2004 lasts anywhere from the loading screen, or all the way to when I try to exit, at which point it will either reboot the whole computer, or simply kick me to desktop with a "Critical Build Error". Jedi Knight 2 will occasionally crash out on leaving (which isn't abnormal), however I then cannot start anything. No opening Windows Explorer windows, no running any programs, nothing. All that works is a system restart. On reboots from either of those game crashes, the system informs me it has "recovered from a serious error", the details of which are a .xml file buried within my user documents. There are a couple of minor errors during any bootup, where the Language toolbar is sitting in the tray, and the trim around my desktop is dull blue, rather than any other color I try to set it as. Just a few minutes ago, after another game crash, when I reached the password entry screen, the system informed me it had recovered a registry file from an alternative backup. This issue continues to reappear after reformats, even after three reformats. My system is a Western Digital SATA 3.0 7200RPM 80GB hard drive (+1 degree over room temperature), the processor is an E6400 at 3.36 Ghz (Prime95 and Memtestx86 checked for stability) with 65 degrees Celsius, the motherboard was previously a GA-965G-DS3 Rev 1.0, and now is a GA-965P-DS3 Rev 3.3, and the memory is 1x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 at 2.0V, which is looser timings than the shipping rating.

Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on? Is it something that can be fixed? What about contacting Microsoft and telling them the XP is a corrupt build (that's a far-fetched idea I know)? Anybody?

Where did you get XP from? XP gold is XP gold, the same build, no matter when you bought it. Even if you have a pre-gold build, after patching and installing SP2, you would be at the same build as everyone else.

My suggestion is ditch the torrent and purchase XP and return your system to stock speeds.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Two reformats ago, on a GA-965G-DS3 with all stock speeds, it still had the same issues.
The disc is not a torrent. It's a real physical disc in my house.