Windows Update failing to update Windows Defender Definitions

Hooobi

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
Subject says it all. This is happening consistently and now that I've noticed it, I'm forced to do a manual download/install from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Already tried deleting everything in the updates/history folder and logs, but made no difference.

All other updates through Windows Update seem to download and install fine.

I'm running 8.1 and getting Error Code 80070002

Thoughts?

Hooobi

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
Thanks for the link! Oddly enough, after downloading but failing to install something like 14 definitions updates in a row, it now seems to be working just fine.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Strange.. let me know if that works better for you. I set mine to update every hour so then if it fails it will retry soon.

Hooobi

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2001
Strange.. let me know if that works better for you. I set mine to update every hour so then if it fails it will retry soon.

Just to clarify, the "it" that now seems to be working just fine is Windows Update. I hadn't yet gotten around to trying the scheduled tasks process that you suggested, although I will if Windows Update starts acting up again.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Oh ok. I basically had to schedule a task because unlike in 7, when you set windows updates to download only and not install automatically, Defender behaves the same way.

IMO it should be updating itself automatically no matter what your Windows update settings are!