Windows server 2003 and 975x motherboards?

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
So...anyone have 2003 running on a 975x motherboard? Please let me know. I'm looking to prove my design before purchasing a new server. I suspect it mostly comes down to the chipset - which SEEMS to begrudgingly indicate 2003 support.

itloser

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
the intel chipset drivers direct from intel's website have support for windows 2k3.
I have built and have had running for about 2 years and server based on the 915chipset with no problems at all
the only thing that may not have support would be the onboard lan, but usually the lan card maker will have 2k3 drivers, or sound.

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
Thanks for the info. I'm looking for "real world" proof that it generally works. Tough to spend $2K on a server that can't serve. :) I would hope for the onboard LAN support, the only thing I don't care about would be audio. Ideally I would desire the following from the chipset.

LAN
USB
SATA

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
Hi IT,

an Intel chipset that doesn't work with Windows would be like a Ford that didn't fit on US roads, or had a gas nozzle that did not work with US gas stations.....pretty unlikely.

Here is link to Intel drivers for 2k3 server:

http://downloadcenter.intel.co...ing%20Systems&lang=eng

RAID: the hard drives, not the bug spray--

http://downloadcenter.intel.co...DwnldID=13315&lang=eng

Supported Operating Systems

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13500/ENG/relnotes.htm

The Intel® Chipset Device Software is validated on the following Microsoft operating systems.

* Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, x86
* Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, x64
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
* Microsoft Windows XP family, x86
* Microsoft Windows 2000 family, x86
* Microsoft Windows Vista

http://www.intel.com/support/c...s/inf/sb/CS-009270.htm

Since the 975X and WinServer 2k3 have both been out for several years, most likely most bugs have been pretty thoroughly eradicated by now (Raid, the bug spray, not the hard drives....)

Addendum: in doing some reading, I see why you might be concerned, not a lot written about the 975X/Win2k3 Server combo....I will send an email to Intel support to ask about that....and no, unfortunately I do not run Win2k3Srvr....I do run Win2K server on an 815 chipset, but, that's a generation or two back....

NXIL

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
Thanks NXIL, I found the same info, but figured more people would be discussing it if in use. Its certainly more attractive as a server platform then a Xeon platform that has limited desktop abilities. And don't make me bring up my AMD debacle... :)

Any help with asking Intel is appreciated. Thanks again!

oh yeah, and Intel and the industry really seem to be trying to split desktop and server computing into separate hardware realms, which I think is just silly today. Any box can perform just fine as long as its designed well. My 6yr old 24/7 P4 server proves that. :)

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
From Intel Support:

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

1. We regret to inform you that Windows* 2003 Server is not a supported Operating system for the Intel(R) 975X Express Chipset .

Intel(R) Technical Support cannot provide assistance or drivers on operating systems that are not supported by the specific chipset.

So, you were correct, it's not a good combo....

HTH,

NXIL

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
NXIL, thanks again for all the effort. I'm trying to avoid getting a Xeon based system because it becomes a separate support nightmare for me. I have to spend more on all the components, just for a low end server. Thats BS.

As for Intel's response...that what I would expect from them.

About my $2K - thats with a RAID1 array of 4 SATA disks for ~600GB (2 raptors for OS, 2 500GBrs for data)

Anyone have a 975x mobo they would try to install a Windows 2003 Eval on? Just to see if the basic chipset drivers install/work?

ITLoser

Keitero

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
My server is running a Core2Duo on an Intel 975 Bad Axe 2 board on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition without any issues. Intel may say that just to be on the safe side (Intel is know for stability after all), but my setup is running fine for about 6 months without any issues.

ITloser

Feb 8, 2000
Keitero, thanks for the response. For the chipset drivers - were they xp or 2003 drivers? Do you have any "yellow bangs" in Device Manager?