Question windows security says "Page not found. your it administrator has limited access" when I try to go into Windows Defender

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I let someone use my PC (Win 11) to look up a movie, and whatever they did, did something that caused Defender to stop working and I can't access anything to turn it back on. They're not techie at all and don't know what they did. I wasn't even geting the usual popups saying Defender is disabled. I discovered it wasn't running by accident. I've been Googling this all day for things to try. Here's most of what I tried.

1. checked to make sure my account wasn't a student one, it wasn't.
2. enabled the hidden admin account, rebooted, and still get "Windows security says your it administrator has limited access" when I try to access virus and threat protection.
3. Did all this from a CMD ran as admin.
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Policies" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost" /f
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Policies" /freg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Policies" /f

rebooted, still can't get into it.

4. went into Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
Disabled allow antimalware service to startup with normal priority.
Disabled turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus
Disabled headless UI mode

5. Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Policy Manager

deleted everything except the policy manager folder.

rebooted, same issue.

6. Ran Superantispyware & Malwarebytes. Found a few things and removed them.

I didn't just try everything I found since I don't 100% know what does what. But when I found the same advice in multiple replies on the MS forums I figured it must be good.

Last thing I tried, I did a repair install of Win 11. Same thing. When I go into the security page I don't even see a section for Virus & Protection. For the time being, I installed Avast, dunno if it's still a good AV. But it's what I use to use before Defender existed. I scanned and it found a few things, it said it removed them. But I still can't get Defender to turn on. After hours of Googling and reading everything I'm finding is the are the same things. I'm assuming there has to be a way to fix this without doing a clean install. If it came down to that, I'd probably rather just forget about it and keep using Avast. But I would really like to figure out how to fix it, I'm just at a dead end here.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
maybe someone will see this. I was trying to format a flash drive and was getting a drive is write protected message. I went into Explorer and when I clicked on properties for the drive, I noticed security wasn't there.

I went into gpedit and set User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer to disable. rebooted, still no security tab
went into regedit and added NoSecurityTab to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

rebooted, still no security tab.

I made a new account with admin rights, still no security tab and I can't format the flash drive.

I refuse to accept I have to reinstall windows to fix this, but I've tried everything I found on Google. I have a ton of stuff installed and it will take me forever to get everything installed and configured back how I like it. I did do a repair install, but it didn't fix anything.

Help? Thanks?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
See if these works

==

Nowadays, I like to use portable versions of software if it's available so that if I need to reinstall Windows, I don't have to reinstall everything.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
See if these works

==

Nowadays, I like to use portable versions of software if it's available so that if I need to reinstall Windows, I don't have to reinstall everything.

Thanks for the reply, tried it and still no luck, if I can install something in portable mode I do. But a lot of stuff doesn't have that option.

Well back to the drawing board, I'm still not going to wave the white flag here. Eventually I might have no other choice, but I'm going to look for other things to try.

I should have mentioned, I tried 2 different flash drives, one fresh out the box. And I tried 3 different USB ports, 2 on the front of the case and 1 on the MB rear IO.

Jul 27, 2020

Try SFC first. Then DISM. And finally the restore point command if you have an earlier restore point (you lose whatever you installed after the restore point). But Windows 11 usually disables System Restore by default so don't think you can restore to a previous point.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Try SFC first. Then DISM. And finally the restore point command if you have an earlier restore point (you lose whatever you installed after the restore point). But Windows 11 usually disables System Restore by default so don't think you can restore to a previous point.

Had tried SFC already, tried the DISM thing neither detected anything. I did check the restore point but there wasn't one. The virus or malware really did a job here. I've just about given up figuring it out. And I don't even know what else it probably messed up. These are the only 2 things I've noticed but I'm sure there are others. So for all I know there could be all sorts of other problems.

Jul 27, 2020
tried the DISM thing
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that didn't work, it's a problem with your registry. That can only be fixed with a re-install. Or some kind of tool that will reset all Windows OS related registry values to their defaults.

Try Way 2.

Lots of serious tools here: https://www.d7xtech.com

One of them could be the answer to your troubles.