windows media player 9 missing audio codec?

kotix

Aug 2, 2002
being an ignorant fool, i DLed and installed Windows Media Player 9 without creating a restore point in XP beforehand. Now i can't uninstall the P.O.S., so i'm stuck with a beta version that can't play all my .avi files. Anyhow i've been DLing some clips (mpeg and avi) that can't be played on WMP9. I keep getting the error, "audio format tag 401", and when i click on the web link, it says it's still under construction. it also says last updated on sept4 :( Does anybody know what codec i'm missing? or if there's a better playback program? i tried getting the indeo pack from ligo.com but still that didn't fix the problem

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
try the codecs from the guys that make winamp. Llamasoft or llamaware. Anyways, they make a popular codec distro.

-=bmacd=-

kotix

Aug 2, 2002
yeah i tried using the divx player The Playa software, but i get this "audio format tag 401" error with both mpegs and .avis...so it's not just restricted to avi or divx files. I'm also debating whether this could be attributed to SP1, but i uninstalled that and still the error message...fuckin a, if only i could uninstall wm9 and install wm8...the only feature that i appreciate in wm9 is the scroll bar

thx anyway

kotix

Aug 2, 2002
here's the exact error word for word:

The audio codec identified by the format tag 401 is required to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
It sounds to me like you are missing whatever audio codec that clip uses. You might wanna see if you can get your hands on the Nimo Codec Pack or the ACE Codec Pack.