Windows Media Player 9 FULL FINAL RELEASE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Okay, the cover art is a cool thing. I already have mine organized perfectly (for me) when I ripped it all (Artist\Album\Track#-TrackName). Of course, I quite frequently listen to online radio (DigitallyImported) or listen to music while playing a game so the player is minimized.

But hey, that is one neato feature. Just wonder what MS might have hidden in it though. /paranoia

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Just wonder what MS might have hidden in it though. /paranoia

Has anyone address this yet? Are there any hidden things we should know about? I already downloaded it, have not yet run the installer.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: neomits
resize the pic?

one of the things I like best is the ability to organize your music perfectly... the only problem is that it'll take FOREVER with 30 gigs of music :Q
In the beta version, when you do a full screen, because your mouse is active, it'll adjust the image to fit the remaining space left after the bar that comes up. After a while, the bar will go away and your picture will resize itself to the full screen... really stupid and annoying of Microsoft.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
im gonna wait for a while. im still recovering for the problems directx 9 caused.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: FuZioN
just got it.. hmm.. how do i add the album covers?
Doesn't WinXP do this on its own? I don't know about you, but every time I rip an album and store all the files in a folder with 'artist name - album name' and then set the folder type to 'Music (album)', WinXP automatically sets the cover art as the icon for the folder (I have no idea where it downloads it from?)

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
ohh.. i have to rip a cd to get the cover... ;-)
well umm what if you already have it ripped ;-)

btw im using win2k

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: neomits
resize the pic?

one of the things I like best is the ability to organize your music perfectly... the only problem is that it'll take FOREVER with 30 gigs of music :Q
In the beta version, when you do a full screen, because your mouse is active, it'll adjust the image to fit the remaining space left after the bar that comes up. After a while, the bar will go away and your picture will resize itself to the full screen... really stupid and annoying of Microsoft.

yea, the drop down control menu sucks in 8 too, no resize but it seems to eat resources like crazy, slows my video and i got a xp 2000+. i turn it off in performance features and then it runs fine. maybe u cfan turn it off in 9 too:p

Doesn't WinXP do this on its own? I don't know about you, but every time I rip an album and store all the files in a folder with 'artist name - album name' and then set the folder type to 'Music (album)', WinXP automatically sets the cover art as the icon for the folder (I have no idea where it downloads it from?)

realy? i gotta try that then.

how does media player 9 organize your music? it figure out the albums by name? or something more complicated?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
hmm, tried setting folder to artists name and album name, didn't work. only worked for ones that already had cover pics in folder, go figure.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Do they have a visialzation that has bars that bounce up and down in tune with the music, I have it as part of my EQ with my GTXP, but I would like to have it in media player.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
This version is pretty slow on my machine and has a tendancy to take along time to open music up. :(

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Does it have a windowshade mode like winamp? Winamp windowshade mode can fit the playlist and controls stacked on top of each other in the taskbar. Thats kinda the main reason I've always used it.

And any zoomplayer users out there have any responses based on comparing zoomplayers features / memory useage to wmp9's. I really don't want to blindly install wmp9 and not be able to get rid of it.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
MP7 was the worst.. 6.4 the best.. imho.. 8 and 9 fall inbetween. I've had problems playing some movie files with mp8

Vernor

Sep 9, 2001
There are some HDTV-sourced, high-bitrate WMV files thay will only play on ver.9 .

But they're pretty rare at this point.

authenticate

Nov 21, 2000
I downloaded and installed this new release last night but fail to see any differences over the version that came with XP Pro.
On another note, how do you select individual audio channels to listen to when using media player? I end up having to use PowerDVD to change audio channels.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: authenticate
I downloaded and installed this new release last night but fail to see any differences over the version that came with XP Pro.
On another note, how do you select individual audio channels to listen to when using media player? I end up having to use PowerDVD to change audio channels.

you mean 8? go read their website and see the new features

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
I think the organization sucks. I have a full cd ripped, and when it goes and trys to find the information on a track it doesn't even return the album that i ripped it from. The cover art only works sometimes, it worked for like 3 cd's and none of the rest of them. Sometimes it freezes when trying to save the id3 tag to a file, I really like the features, I just wish all the bugs were worked out, and you could customize a little more of the sorting options, like the folder names and such. I would much rather have a seperate folder for each album that is NOT contained in a folder by artist. It's just unecessary folders. For now, I am gonna stick with Winamp2 for my mp3's, I'll see how WMP9 stands up to movies and what not.