Windows Media CENTER users, what do you use it for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What do you primarily use WMC for?

• DVR (Recorded/Live TV, ala TiVo)

• Video/Movie library

• Music library

• Photo slideshow

• Streaming with 3rd party plugins, MacroTube, TVTonic, etc.

• Streaming videos from Windows Media Center PC to other TVs through extenders (XBOX 360 or other).

• What's Windows Media Center? I wish someone told me it existed in the first place!

• I'm the one guy who paid to upgrade to Win8 Pro because I dig DVDs.

• I use some other 3rd party app(s) for this (XBMC, MythTV, etc).

• Don't use a media PC

Results are only viewable after voting.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I'm planning on riding WMC out until it's no longer possible on my main TV. I haven't tried exploring future options yet due to not having any time...

My main use for it is for DVR purposes along with my HD HR prime

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I'm planning on riding WMC out until it's no longer possible on my main TV. I haven't tried exploring future options yet due to not having any time...

My main use for it is for DVR purposes along with my HD HR prime

I switched over to OpenELEC, and havent looked back. The only real issue is my HDHomerun is not supported by the HDHomerun add on. I have to figure that out before football starts, but since I have the NFL online package I guess it doesnt matter that much. I was actually surprised how well everything worked. I think I only had to use a shell once, and that was to set a custom skip forward/back interval. And surround sound now works! I must have changed something when it was WMC and forgot about it, and just got used to stereo when using WMC. And when I used Plex on my FireTV AC3/DTS is downmixed. Kinda feels like I bought a new sound system. :p

Come to think of it, all the things I used to use the FireTV for I now use the OpenELEC box, except Prime Instant Video. I use the htpc more with OpenELEC than I did with WMC. WMC will not be missed.