Windows ME problems........

waytoomuchcoffee

Sep 30, 2000
Did you download the patch for fast processors? Go to Windows Update and look for "Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package."

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
was that a fresh install of ME or an upgrade?
what rating is your psu? is it Athalon approved?

1greatguy

Jan 4, 2001
you're kidding right? they have a patch for fast processors?? We had ghz processors when ME came out, i don't see why they'd need to make a patch, it's like making a patch so it can use more than 128megs of ram.

guess that's microsoft for ya *sigh*

bacillus

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
1greatguy, he's not kidding, have a look at the readme for the patch

Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package

The Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package provides a workaround to a recently identified issue with computers that have the combination of Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) hard disk drives with large caches and newer/faster processors. Computers with this combination may risk losing data if the hard disk shuts down before it can preserve the data in its cache.

Modern IDE hard drives typically store disk writes in a hardware cache (temporary memory) and write the data to the hard disk later. ?Write caching? is a performance enhancement designed to increase overall write speeds.

During shutdown, data from the cache is written to the hard disk for storage until the computer is turned on again. During a typical shutdown process, any data written just before shutdown may still reside on the hard disk's hardware cache. Older processors typically execute the shutdown code slowly enough that the hard disk's cache flushed the written data to the physical media before the machine lost power. As processors have increased in speed, the shutdown time has decreased to the point that data may still be in the hardware cache when a computer is turned off, and that data may be lost. This increased processor time, coupled with the fact that hard drive caches have increased in size further increase the chance of data loss.

This is not a problem that is specific to Windows, or any given operating system, for that matter. Nor is it specific to any one brand of processor or hardware -- it is an industry-wide issue that affects a variety of vendors. The good news for Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me) customers is that Microsoft offers this update until the industry can address the issue. At this point, Windows 2000 is not affected by this issue, and does not require the update.

This update introduces a slight delay in the shutdown process. The delay of two seconds allows the hard drive's onboard cache to write any data to the hard drive.

Note Because the Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package updates your system files and requires you to restart your computer after installation, please save and close all open documents and close all programs before installing the update.

For more information on this issue, please read the Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q273017. (This site is in English.)

System Requirements

Windows Me

How to use

When prompted, click Yes to restart your computer.

How to uninstall

Uninstall is not available.

Close

Return to Index

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
windows me is based on windows 98 ... if you say me sucks ... does that mean 98 sucks ?? and 95then ???

i think they all suck ... when it comes to efficiency and stability compared to like freebsd ... but they all seem to function great ... and are all excellent platforms for gaming, watching DVds, general web use ...

i dont see why everyone gripes so much about ME ...

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
You missed the whole point. 98 rocks. Its the ultimate gaming platform available right now. ME is just a bloated pile of steaming sh*t.

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
format and install Windows 2000 and all your problems will go away.

I have run Windows ME on my Athlon rig and I didn't have to download a patch to get it to shutdown and restart.

atti222de

Jan 11, 2000
I too have the same problem with shut down and Windows ME.
I have already loaded the current patches, including the one for fast processors
I have identified that my USB Efficient Networks 4060 DSL modem has caused part of the problem. When plugged in, I cannot shut down or re-boot. A hard re-boot is the only answer.

Atti

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
I have the same modem and it really is a thorn in my side sometimes. It has caused the most problems with my system out of any single component except maybe my motherboard.

beestung

Jan 4, 2001

<< You missed the whole point. 98 rocks. Its the ultimate gaming platform available right now. ME is just a bloated pile of steaming sh*t. >>

Funny... about 2 years ago, everyone was saying the same thing about Windows 98... how 95 was great and 98 was just a bunch of stupid, useless upgrades that you can get online. Now it's ME? Come on, you'll be saying the same thing about Whistler next year. Anyway, I read a review recently (and sorry, couldn't find the link) about how ME is pickier about hardware components, such as RAM. Inexpensive (read cheap) RAM will cause problems in ME when it worked just fine in 98 and 95. I guess my question at this point would be: is that 512MB of PC133 RAM quality RAM (i.e. Mushkin, Crucial, etc.) or was it purchased on an auction site or from fastwilliescheapassram.com? I'd check that patch for fast processors too... 512MB of RAM is a lot to dump to disk with a bajillionHz processor wanting to shutdown. -Jason

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
crucial cas-2.

It is probably just a bad setting in my bios that is hanging my system. My transition from 95 to 98 was awesome. I loved 98 when it first came out way back in..... uhh..... 98. ME just seems like its tryin to be something different. Microsoft, trying to make something, user friendly? No no no, they got it all wrong.

Shide

Jan 10, 2001
It is the speedstream 4060 usb that causes Windows ME not to shutdown correctly. Mine does it too. Has anyone come up with a fix?

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
either the 3 ft bong being toked while the computer is in USE may be creating some pot smoke/bong water corrosion of your computer's internal components, or.......

U just need an NT OS. :) Happy hunting!

Super6

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Use 98Lite if you want to eliminate the bloatware and have a stable, fast OS. The Micro version came in at around 72Mb last time I did a clean install. That's using the original 98. MS seems to always shoot for the lowest common denominator and the herd goes out and lays down their hard earned cash for more fluff. Windows 2000 is a step in the right direction but it isn't the total solution yet.

Funny thing is that there is nothing preventing Microsoft from adopting their own flavor of Linux...wouldn't that be a kick.

Super6

GrimReefer

Banned
Nov 11, 2000
I have not had the pleasure of dabbling with Linux yet, but from what I've heard, its awesome. I have Windows 2000, and I have installed it and tried it and it was incredible. So much better then 98, I was amazed. I had to format my harddrive and install win ME when I found out that my 4060 wont even work in 2000. Really pissed me off. I hope Whistler wont be the ME of 2000, that would blow.