Windows Home Server ISO - Truncated File Extensions

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I downloaded the WHS ISO (from Microsoft, 120 day trial) and was going to install via USB. I followed all the directions and the first part of the install went fine.

However, when the Server2003 part of the install kicked off (after first reboot) it started saying it couldn't find any of the install files (.dll, .exe, etc).

So I opened up the ISO in DamonTools and all of the file names are messed up. Instead of being:

SomeSystemFile.dll

it is:

SomeSystemFile.dl_

This is pretty much across the board in the SVR_2003\i386 folder as well as some sub directories. I suppose I could manually rename each file, but that shouldn't be necessary. Any ideas?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I downloaded the WHS ISO (from Microsoft, 120 day trial) and was going to install via USB. I followed all the directions and the first part of the install went fine.

However, when the Server2003 part of the install kicked off (after first reboot) it started saying it couldn't find any of the install files (.dll, .exe, etc).

So I opened up the ISO in DamonTools and all of the file names are messed up. Instead of being:

SomeSystemFile.dll

it is:

SomeSystemFile.dl_

This is pretty much across the board in the SVR_2003\i386 folder as well as some sub directories. I suppose I could manually rename each file, but that shouldn't be necessary. Any ideas?
it has been that way since DOS. The files are compressed, and decompression process expands them.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

SomeSystemFile.dll

it is:

SomeSystemFile.dl_

I don't know what your problem is, but that isn't the problem as stated above that is a normal naming convention for compressed installation files from MS.

pcgeek11

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Most likely your problem right there. Would the Windows Installer have the drivers for your motherboard's chipset?

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
I am not sure what the issue is either, but it seems to be getting worse. Now I get thru the 1st half of the install without issues (as far as I know). Then when it boots into the 2nd part of the install it now gives me a blue screen of death.

I wonder if installing from a DVD would work better...

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Most likely your problem right there. Would the Windows Installer have the drivers for your motherboard's chipset?

Should. I am trying to install this on an Intel SS4200 and I know many others have done so successfully.

I am not sure what my issue is...

EDIT:

Found this: http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=143

That is the device I have with a different logo on it. So I think from a hardware standpoint it should support.

EDIT #2:

The Blue Screen I think is associated with the drivers not loading properly for the hard drive controller. When I am in the 1st part of the install I select load drivers and select the proper driver, then it tells me to reboot. I say "ok" then just hard restart the system. But there are two things weird here. #1 is the first time I did this it just loaded the driver and didn't tell me to reboot and #2 doing a hard restart hardly seems to be the right move.

Last edited: