Windows fully loaded, no Video?. Not so fast!.

Michael Meio

Jul 2, 2011
Last weekend I had this issue which seems to be a bit common and had no resolution afaik: All things are good, you checked wiring, slots, memory, cpu, etc.. everything is as should but there's no video. Asus guys had RMA'd a bunch of ROG MoBos for A2 code (IDE detect) hanging derived from no video after loading windows.. Seems like there's no easy way to replicate, therefore some RMAs processed.. but there are some expired ones with similar issues that have no clue. Well, it seems that on some Monitors, the DVI auto-select (analog/digital) gets stuck. So, you get all info within the system as ok but video never shows for no apparent reason. All you needed to do was disconnect the power cord from the Monitor for a couple of minutes or better yet, bring another Monitor once everything is ruled out and voila!. Now, IDK about differences between brands and interior clockwork for Monitors but it happened to me on a Samsung brand one. I hope this helps som1 one day.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
What exactly happened? Are you saying that the BIOS/bootup screen showed up on the monitor, but then proceeding to windows resulted in a black screen? I can't figure out what you are describing, but I think I understand that the solution is to address the monitor.

Michael Meio

Jul 2, 2011
What exactly happened? Are you saying that the BIOS/bootup screen showed up on the monitor, but then proceeding to windows resulted in a black screen? I can't figure out what you are describing, but I think I understand that the solution is to address the monitor.

What happens is nothing. No video on BIOS/bootup, none at all. The monitor presents a reaction to signal and on the screen you can see it getting from hybernation to stby mode but no image. It makes you think it's ok but it is definetly not. Now, the A2 code on the ASUS ROG panels is derived from a BIOS flash which goes all the way till it prompts for F1 to setup BIOS due to IDE configuration. It happenned on a MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z and on a GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H being tested on the same Samsung monitor. In no event was there a visible video signal until the Monitor's power was interrupted overnight but I believe a few minutes w/o power would have done the trick.

Michael Meio

Jul 2, 2011
I've been looking into this issue and found out that in most forums, the manufacturers' reps guide users through the same checklist: i.e: strip MoBo, flash bios, check cables, etc.. no mention about Monitor. And the symptoms seem to be the same. After a couple of posts, RMA is advised. This is referring to not only the GENE-Z but also to other ASUS ROG MoBos, as well as other brands/models. I think I was able to replicate the event by disconnecting and re-connecting the DVI cable at some point but for being in a hurry, I can't tell 100%. One Q: Is it ok to post RMA related stuff here? ... THX!

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
What happens is nothing. No video on BIOS/bootup, none at all.

Then why do you mention Windows in the title when it has nothing to do with Windows?

"Not so fast?" The absence of video would be a sticking point, so how are you going fast from, "no video"?
Please learn English.

Last edited:

Michael Meio

Jul 2, 2011
Then why do you mention Windows in the title when it has nothing to do with Windows?

"Not so fast?" The absence of video would be a sticking point, so how are you going fast from, "no video"?
Please learn English.

I truly believe this is not worth the aggravation you are enduring. I'm just trying to help. You are welcome to read other posts and troll somewhere else while I learn English. Thanks for your time and patience.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I'll do my best here Michael Meio. So when resuming from standby, you do not get a signal back to the monitor?

Is this through CPU graphics from connection to the motherboard or a dedicated video card?

What operating system?

What graphics driver are you running? I know AMD graphics have this bug, and I want to say older Intel drivers had a bug like this.

Michael Meio

Jul 2, 2011
This is how it went:
One of our draftsmen informed some flickering video issue which I tried to replicate unsuccessfully. This is a WIN7 64, Gigabyte H77M D3H MoBo.
On one of the restarts, all looked just fine, windows logon sound included but no video. Everything was double checked all good but video. No splash screen, nothing but the natural flickering when the monitor goes from stby to active or from hibernation to stby. there was no way of knowing if it had problems. Even the digital/analog prompt showed and all. Then, the screen just went back to stby and hibernation.
Next, the GPU (GTX550) was tested on a second unit: WIN7 64, Asus Maximus IV Gene Z Mobo. All different but the Monitor which was still connected to the electrical plug all the time. Same results. Windows logged ok, no video at all. The GPU seemed to be the issue.
Checked forums, followed standard procedure on the Asus: flashed bios, stripped MoBo, connected one thing at a time, etc. got A2 (IDE Detect) code on the MoBo debug panel. No video.
Next, the Asus Unit is re-assembled as it was before the problems, this time with its usual GPU (GTX660). Nothing.
When I checked forums, found out that these symptoms or apparently the same problem (A2 code + no Video) have been given RMA processing a couple of times. So I prepared to fit the drives on other units to preserve data and keep on working.
Now I know both MoBos were stuck on BIOS settings, since they've got BIOS' flashed. All the time same monitor, plugged to power. But there was no way of knowing what was going on for not having video. The Asus was expecting F1 to fix CPU fan low rpm because it has an Antec Kuhler. The Gigabyte H77M was also waiting for BIOS settings due to IDE config (AHCI) for the SSD drive.
Connected the H77M to a TV via HDMI and it worked, so there was no problem with the MoBo but then, what about the GPU's DVI sockets?
Tested both on another monitor via DVI and all was ok.
So, I thought the monitor was damaged. Finally, pulled the monitor's electrical plug.
Next day, tried to check the monitor, all ok.
That's pretty much it. The monitor just needed to be reset.
I believe it happened because the DVI plug was loose from the socket and this got the Monitor stuck. It's a Samsung SyncMaster that works flawlessly.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
OK, that sounds about right. The connection would have to be fairly secure or the monitor might auto detect something else. Then one would have to tell it manually what to detect.

That is one if the things I like/dislike about HDMI. Simple to plug in, but if you plug/unplug/pull on it very much, I could see that connection getting loose with the only fix being a new cable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I refurbished my server today, and it is connected via DVI to a pretty ancient 19" LCD.

When I booted the server, the BIOS screen had a blue background. (Normally, it's black.)

I was wondering why, so I figured that the existing video card was shot. I replaced the video card with a newer one. Still same blue background.

I turned the monitor on and off, no change. But when I cycled the inputs around, then it came up properly with a black background.

So monitors can get into "funny" states.

I also had an issue a few years back with a 22" LCD monitor that I had at the time. I left it plugged in, and just let it go into monitor standby, when the computer sleeps or powers off.

Well, one day, it "lost" the native default resolution. I would have to manually set the resolution every time the monitor came out of sleep mode.

It seemed like it stopped transmitting the EDID, until I unplugged and "reset" the monitor.